Ekult has a past, but does it have a future?

  • postekcon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
      Ekult has a very interesting past, but does it have any future?

      For several years as a private joke, I would describe ekult as an organization in its 'menopausal' years, simply because it failed to successfully reproduce itself, for the survival of its species! LOL

      Recently I researched Alexa (web information company) for traffic ranking for eckankar.org website, and was interested to see my assessment correct.
      If you click Demographics tap for eckankar.org, they clearly show how 18-44 year olds are under-represented (relative to the general internet population) whereas 55-65+ age groups are greatly over-represented. Likewise there is also a gender gap where females are greatly over-represented and males under-represented.

      So for ekult, the likelihood of these 55-65+ year old females successfully recruiting younger members is slim to zero, especially when you weight up that most of these devoted golden oldies failed to pass it on even to their own offspring (to adulthood)! LOL
      So an interesting question might be, how many more years can ekult run before collapse? If we remember our own early years in ekult, it was mostly the 20-40 year olds who had the energy to be successful promoters!
      Alexa info ekult:
      http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/eckankar.org

      For the past few years I've made a study to try to understand why so many of ekult's long-time members are still practicing? And I've come to this conclusion.

      These 'devoted' folks are so busy putting on meetings and events for ekult, when their 'mystic world' and 'hi letter' arrive in the mail (quarterly newsletters for members) they have no time to study them! The consequence of this is dire for ekult! Because the movement they're promoting to their new members is actually the ekult to which they themselves were once attracted, but which is now some 20-30 years out-of-date!

      However by way of contrast, the new members they've recruited ARE studying the `mystic world' and after they've received and studied several issues they reach an important and decisive conclusion and it is this - that nothing adds-up! To elaborate further still, if the new members are studying both the 'mystic world' and a discourse series, it can seem to them like they are studying two different paths? But more important still, the ekult they read about in the `mystic world' is not the one to which they agreed to subscribe!

      Anomalies are too numerous to mention. One obvious one, by way of example, is where PT taught how it was good to be born in a religion, but not good to die there. How can this ever equate with HKs version of ekult, as on fundamental levels they're diametrically opposed?

      And so as I've observed these confused new members leave ekult after only a short period of time. But the golden oldies, their recruiters have no understanding as to the real reasons why and blame themselves for failure!
      -Postekcon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hello postekcon and All,
        I agree that the older female
        Eckists do most of the busy
        work and planning and are
        more involved with keeping
        the Satsangs running than
        their male counterparts.

        Keeping busy and stressed
        out with spreading the "word"
        is how EKists get recognized
        for approval for that next
        initiation.

        And, each local Satsang
        has cliques. H.I.s are one
        clique with "participating"
        Clerics and ESAs. The 7ths
        have their own clique.
        After that is the clique
        of "participating" chelas
        who are Satsang coordinators
        and active volunteers with
        coordinator assignments.

        The H.I.s who are 5ths and 6ths
        still have a lot more to do and
        many more years to put in before
        they hit the glass ceiling of the
        7th Initiation.

        After many years of being a
        7th there's hope for getting
        the 8th, but not under Klemp,
        unless, someone dies.

        That's why most 7ths imagine
        they are 8ths on the "Inner"
        and the 8ths imagine they are
        9ths on the "inner" and the 9ths
        imagine that they are.... and
        so it goes... forever being
        unfulfilled with more and more
        desires. Catch-22!

        Not until leaving Eckankar
        did I realize how stressful
        it all was. Now, there is no
        more stress with obligations
        of "service." And, I have a
        much clearer perspective
        with expanded insights that
        were being blocked by the
        desires of wanting more and
        higher initiations which equates
        to having higher consciousness.

        This freedom from these desires
        feels as though the weight
        of the world was lifted from
        my shoulders. True Contentment
        has finally been experienced,
        although, it does come and
        go from time-to-time, but
        at least, now, it has become
        a familiar insight.

        And, after EK, there's no having
        to watch what one says about
        the problems within the org.
        That keeping "silent" and "surrender"
        of Thy Will versus Klemp's no
        longer applies. And, there's no
        more reporting to the RESA on
        those who didn't tow the line.

        Personally, it was always difficult
        trying to "correct" H.I.s and especially
        chelas in regard to following the
        guidelines because of having to
        use "kid gloves" with them and
        not hurt their feelings (egos) or