Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: The Spiritual Hierarchy according to the Eckankar Lexicon

  • Gnothe Seauton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hi Mish,

      Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing your observations. I'll look forward to hearing about more of your experiences with H.I.s and of their expressions of "love" towards you.

      Yes, it does seem that HK is rather clueless (lacks higher consciousness), and is very introverted, thus his poor social skills and of his H.I.s (as above so below?). Actually, I wonder if it isn't more correct, at times, to say "As below, so above." Anyhow, Harold is actually very arrogant and gives the impression that he doesn't need to make the effort of giving anything (books, talks, etc.) of real spiritual value. Harold lets chelas "imagine" that he is all (and more) that Paul and Darwin also claimed to be. Some people just need that carrot of future advancement dangled (as a follower) instead of taking the responsibility of spiritual freedom and seeing that the true Master (ones Self) is within. Spirit is always there to guide one (Soul) regardless of the promises and dogma of any religion whatsoever. Soul or Spirit will appear is various forms to impart wisdom and guidance to the true seeker. HK just takes credit for for what always was and is.

      Prometheus

      mishmisha9 <mishmisha9@...> wrote:

      Hi, Prometheus!

      Thanks for setting up this new site. I think it will fill a void and
      be a place for some real good discussions on what we found amiss in
      eckankar. I think it will be good to share our experiences and
      thoughts so that we can all more or less see that we are not alone
      in our decisions to leave eckankar--what we experienced, indeed,
      that led us to question and reject the teachings is based on truth
      (which are the lies and deceptions found in eckanakar).

      You asked and commented in your post,

      "Do you think anything else
      > might not be what it seems in the Eckankar Corporation?
      >
      > Anyway, I'm amazed that I never really looked at this before! I
      > guess I was just used to accepting everything and anything without
      > question. Of course, if one did have questions, to whom would you
      > ask? Too many questions doesn't look good because it makes it seem
      > you have doubts and are "out-of-balance." Eckankar teaches people
      > fit in (cult behavior) by not asking questions and learning to
      shut-
      > up and take it (questions) to the "inner."
      >
      > Prometheus"

      What initially comes to mind is all the lip service that eckists
      give concerning love, in particular, divine love. Higher Initiates
      especially don't seem to know much about this. Also, Mr. Harold
      Klemp seems to have a problem here as well. Just reading his
      autobiographies--"The Wind of Change" and "The Autobiography of a
      Modern Prophet"--one can see how he struggled all his life with
      this, and that he really doesn't grasp the concept of love. He
      really seems to be what I call a "cold fish." It seems so ironic
      that eckists believe that in order to achieve spiritual freedom one
      must give love, and yet it is the one thing they seem not to know or
      at least not know how to express. Perhaps, later, I will share some
      personal observations/experiences that show this lack of love.

      Thanks again for setting up the site!

      Mish

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
        Hello Prometheus,

        > Isn't it strange that Eckists just don't seem to question
        authority.
        > Even Catholics (American) will question the infalliabity of the
        Pope
        > and the laws of the Church. Why are Eckists so passive,
        introverted,
        > and socially inept? Please don't confuse this mindless fog of
        > approval with detachment.

        This is in the teachings in my opinion. You get "trained" (or is it
        brainwashed??) during the time you stay in Eckankar. And there comes
        a moment where you cannot see any more what is questionable in the
        teachings. In my case when I did not understand something I thought
        it was me - that I just not spiritually evolved enough to
        understand. :-) That's why it's a bit dangerous in my opinion to
        say "well let those who want join and see for themselves". It's true
        in a way but then if we can, why shouldn't we point out the danges
        beforehand? Doing that is what Harold calls "spiritual murder" I
        guess. :-)

        > On page 197 of "A Cosmic Sea of Words, The Eckankar Lexicon" is the
        > definition for spiritual hierarchy. I find it interesting that
        Klemp
        > has taken 95% of the Eckankar Dictionary by Paul Twitchell but does
        > not mention this in the jacket. Klemp "created" another book to add
        > to the multitude by deleting and revising interesting information,
        > while adding his own twist.

        Yes there is more than one twist here, and that's what makes the
        underlying truth worthless ...

        > I will give my own comments to the problems with this definition
        > after listing it as follows:
        >
        > "Beginning with the Sugmad, followed by the ECK and the Mahanta,
        the
        > Living ECK Master, the Adepts of the Order of the Vairagi, the
        Lords
        > of each plane within the higher worlds, the guardians of the
        > Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad. Over the lower worlds Sugmad placed Kal
        > Niranjan, the Lord of the negative worlds; then came the Lords of
        > Karma, the devas (angels), planetary spirits, bhuts, and
        elementals;
        > then came man and all the creatures subordinate to him: fish,
        > animals, reptiles, plants, and stones."
        >
        > In the Eckankar Dictionary Twitchell mentions the Mahanta and
        > the "Living ECK Masters" (plural). And, where are the Nine Silent
        > Ones? Where is Sat Nam? Where is Soul listed in this hierarchy? NO
        > WHERE! Also, why would fish be listed before animals? This doesn't
        > make sense! If Harold was going to do a revision and take full
        > credit for this book then why did he (the infalliable mahanta)
        screw
        > this up! The highest consciousness on the planet (the L.E.M.,
        > Mahanta) really let us down on this one! Do you think anything else
        > might not be what it seems in the Eckankar Corporation?
        >
        > Anyway, I'm amazed that I never really looked at this before! I
        > guess I was just used to accepting everything and anything without
        > question. Of course, if one did have questions, to whom would you
        > ask? Too many questions doesn't look good because it makes it seem
        > you have doubts and are "out-of-balance." Eckankar teaches people
        > fit in (cult behavior) by not asking questions and learning to shut-
        > up and take it (questions) to the "inner."

        I'm amazed, too! Yes you just get used to not asking questions any
        more because you "get it on the inner!" :-)

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
          Hello, Prometheus and Ingrid!

          I like your comments about the spiritual hierarchy and how passive
          eckists seem to be. It always seemed to me in discussion groups that
          every problem a person had, no matter how trivial or immense, all
          one had to do was take it to the inner/surrender it to the mahanta.
          I could never figure out how anybody resolved anything in the "real"
          world. If you were having a problem with a co-worker or boss at your
          work place, all you had to do was take it to the inner--and smile
          outwardly as though nothing was amiss, because the beloved mahanta
          was taking care of it for you and protecting you--or I guess
          eventually the problem would just fade away, replaced by something
          else to take to the inner. My problem with doing this so much, it
          seemed, that we were not really connecting with the outer at all--
          everything was given up to the inner. No balance of the two! And it
          seems that "life" was just passing by, wasted!

          <ctecvie@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Mahanta) really let us down on this one! Do you think anything
          else
          > > might not be what it seems in the Eckankar Corporation?
          > >
          > > Anyway, I'm amazed that I never really looked at this before! I
          > > guess I was just used to accepting everything and anything
          without
          > > question. Of course, if one did have questions, to whom would
          you
          > > ask? Too many questions doesn't look good because it makes it
          seem
          > > you have doubts and are "out-of-balance." Eckankar teaches
          people
          > > fit in (cult behavior) by not asking questions and learning to
          shut-
          > > up and take it (questions) to the "inner."
          >
          > I'm amazed, too! Yes you just get used to not asking questions any
          > more because you "get it on the inner!" :-)

        • ctecvie
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
            Hello Mish!

            > I like your comments about the spiritual hierarchy and how passive
            > eckists seem to be. It always seemed to me in discussion groups
            that
            > every problem a person had, no matter how trivial or immense, all
            > one had to do was take it to the inner/surrender it to the mahanta.
            > I could never figure out how anybody resolved anything in
            the "real"
            > world. If you were having a problem with a co-worker or boss at
            your
            > work place, all you had to do was take it to the inner--and smile
            > outwardly as though nothing was amiss, because the beloved mahanta
            > was taking care of it for you and protecting you--or I guess
            > eventually the problem would just fade away, replaced by something
            > else to take to the inner. My problem with doing this so much, it
            > seemed, that we were not really connecting with the outer at all--
            > everything was given up to the inner. No balance of the two! And it
            > seems that "life" was just passing by, wasted!

            You are right - I had this same impression, that they didn't connect
            with the real outer world. And it even seemed to me that the more
            inner experiences some people had, the less they could live their
            outer life! I remember one story that fits well into this context I
            think.

            When one eckist was in the hospital, there was a lot of noise during
            visit time because one other patient had quite a lot of visitors who,
            on top of this, stayed longer than the allowed time. This eckist
            badly needed her calm and quiet because she needed to recover from
            the surgery or whatever she had had. She wanted the visitors to leave
            so she asked the mahanta to help her. And, would you believe? A few
            minutes afterwards the doctor came and asked the visitors to leave,
            so she was very relieved.

            Well, I always thought she would have resolved that problem rather
            easily and more quickly - by asking the people directly ... :-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
              Hello, Ingrid!

              Yes, that is a good example of a person avoiding "life" situations.
              It seemed to me that many eckists had very poor social skills, and
              being in the org. didn't help them improve. But if you look at
              Harold and his personal stories, his skills have been lacking as
              well. This might be one reason why it would be difficult for some
              eckists to leave even though they are aware of the lies and
              deceptions pervasive in eckankar. In a way, some may be trapped by
              their lack of self-confidence which impedes self-responsibility. Of
              course, there are other reasons eckists will not leave, but that can
              be another discussion!