Ekult & hypnosis

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2009
      ECKANKAR AND HYPNOTISM

      From: revealer@...
      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 02:50:24
      Subject: Hypnosis and Eckankar

      Especially for the Newbie, please read. You can consult any decent authority on hypnosis to confirm the below. Special thanks to David Lane for having the bravery to help so many people.

      Rev.

      Hypnosis

      Think of the subconscious mind as the part of your brain that is most child-like. It is the area where emotion, fantasy and dreams run rampant. Without restraint, you would react to emotional stimulus with extremes of emotional response (ie. anger and rage enough to kill). The sub-
      conscious mind can and will believe anything it is told, good or bad. Protecting us from the obvious effects of our own subscious is the conscious mind, which acts as a sort of filter to our subconscious. It is our conscious mind that asks the logical questions, that distrusts
      and effectively protects the subconscious from both undue trust, and undue response.

      Hypnotists use the concept of "suggestibility" to determine the likelihood that a subject can be hypnotized. This is basically a measure of the trust the subject has in the hypnotist. If the subject's conscious mind strongly distrusts the hypnotist, he/she cannot be hypnotized.
      Once the level of suggestibility has been established, the hypnotist then tries to crack through the conscious mind of the subject. This trick is achieved by getting the conscious mind to relax (be put off its guard), and/or to be distracted. The subject is always tried to be made as comfortable as possible, and always, some sort of repetitive activity is introduced. This can be, say, a swinging stopwatch, or any sort of repetitive action, including and especially chanting (ie. saying "oooohm" repeatedly, or counting). At this point, the subconscious mind is
      stimulated. It is encouraged to activite by suggesting to the subject to enter a dream- state. Gradually, more suggestions are made, and are tested by the hypnotist. Hypnotists will, for instance, suggest to the subject that his/her hand is immobile. If the subject is asked to move the hand, and cannot, the subject is then considered to be entirely suggestible, or hypnotized. It is at this point that the subject is at his/her most vulnerable, for the conscious mind can no longer protect the subject. It is critical to remember that the conscious mind is only a filter. It cannot alter suggestions made under hypnosis. This iswhy the trick of the hypnotist snapping his/her fingers and the subject barking like a dog works.

      How Hypnosis is Used in Eckankar

      One of the major moral responsibilities of the hypnotist is to make entirely clear to the subject that he/she will be hypnotized. The conscious mind of most people, when informed that they are to be hypnotized, will immediately prevent hypnosis from happening. But if you don't tell someone he/she is to be hypnotized, the conscious mind is not expecting it, and does not close itself off. I can't imagine an Eck gathering starting with the warning that its congregants are
      to be hypnotized. Suggestibility is further increased by the expectation that the subject is to actually "see" and "hear" God. God is, of course, an emotional concept for many, and the subconcious is already primed before the hypnosis actually begins. Then the "huuuing" starts, a simple repetitive activity to further dampen the discerning effects of the conscious mind. The hypnotist in charge suggests to the congregants the "blue light". This is the test for suggestibility. As the subjects respond every more positively to this test, their very imagination of this light deepens the suggestibility of those that can't "see" it. Soon, most of the room
      is hypnotized, and they are suggested by the "discourses" that follow that their suggestibility to Eckankar is a good thing.

      How to Leave Eckankar

      It's incredibly tricky for the subconsious mind, once it has built thelevel of trust that Eckankar builds, to "snap out of it". For many, the realizations available on the web are enough to trigger the conscious mind into action, for others a strong emotional response works similarly
      to the old fashioned water in the face, or a slap. Detractors work in this way. They will either try to bombard the hypnotized with logical assessments of the cult, or they will try to evoke an emotional response through overt criticism.

      On Leaving Eckankar

      To understand the Eckankar "teachings" for the falsehoods they are is to criticize one's own conscious mind for "letting him/her down". It is therefore important for the subject to understand that they were tricked into hypnosis. Ex-Eckists and those who have suffered from other forms of immoral hypnosis often tend to display a high level of distrust to people and concepts for a long time after withdrawal.

      (And "Rev", wherever you are, my eternal thank-you for being there at a.r.e. and helping to wake me up and get me out, even though I was so shocked I wouldn't even read your posts at first!!)
      (Following is some more relevant & interesting material posted at alt.religion.eckankar in May 2009, which I hope perhaps might help people who want to research further on ekult's manipulative tactics. Right now I don't remember the little I'd learned about NLP a few years back from someone who was very familiar with it, and knew HI's who'd been trained in it. And darn, some years back someone posted at a.r.e. an *excellent* analysis of slimey trickster Doug Marman's manipulative tactics, which I could find it again!! The longer I'm out, the more I realize how horribly dark & devious ekult is, and I'm just so darned glad I got out, ekult is the HIV of spirituality!!!!!)
      (Anyway, the following is "as is" - there are many people who consider LGATs (large group awareness training) to be a lot more damaging & dangerous than "religious" cults like eckankar, $cientology, etc. And it's true, many people find "benefits" from these things - but on the other hand, I personally have a thing for honesty, integrity, and above all, my personal freedom!! I don't like being conned, scammed, controlled, and stolen from - especially when it's something that's freely available elsewhere, and much better!!!)

      From: Santim Vah <santim...@...>
      Newsgroups: alt.religion.eckankar
      Subject: Re: The History of Human Rights
      Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 23:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

      (I snipped some "political" stuff here - sharon)

      Hypnotherapy is often applied in order to modify a subject's behavior,
      emotional content, and attitudes, as well as a wide range of
      conditions including dysfunctional habits, anxiety, stress-related
      illness, pain management, and personal development.

      Ericksonian hypnotherapy
      Milton H. Erickson was one of the most influential hypnotists of the
      20th century. From around the 1950s onward, Erickson developed a
      radically different approach to hypnotism, which has subsequently
      become known as "Ericksonian hypnotherapy" or "Neo-Ericksonian
      hypnotherapy." Erickson made use of a more informal conversational
      approach with many clients and complex language patterns, and
      therapeutic strategies. However, this very divergence from tradition
      led some of his colleagues, most notably Andre Weitzenhoffer, to
      dispute whether Erickson was right to label his approach "hypnosis" at
      all.[3] Nevertheless, Erickson's work continues to be one of the most
      influential forces in modern hypnotherapy.

      The founders of Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP), a methodology
      similar in some regards to hypnotism, claimed that they had modelled
      the work of Erickson extensively and assimilated it into their
      approach. However, other experts have disputed whether NLP bears any
      genuine resemblance to Erickson's work.[4]

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotherapy#Ericksonian_hypnotherapy

      Milton Erickson
      Milton H. Erickson, M.D. was one of the most influential post-war
      hypnotherapists. He wrote several books and journal articles on the
      subject. During the 1960s, Erickson was responsible for popularizing a
      new branch of hypnotherapy, which became known as Ericksonian
      hypnotherapy, eventually characterised by, amongst other things, the
      absence of a formal hypnotic inductions, and the use of indirect
      suggestion, "metaphor" (actually they were analogies, rather than
      "metaphors"), confusion techniques, and double binds. However, the
      lack of resemblance between Erickson's methods and those of
      traditional hypnotism led some of his contemporaries, such as Andr=E9
      Weitzenhoffer, to seriously question whether he was actually
      practicing "hypnosis" at all, and the status of his approach in
      relation to traditional hypnotism has remained in question.

      Erickson had no hesitation in presenting any suggested effect as being
      "hypnosis", whether or not the subject was in a hypnotic state. In
      fact, he was not hesitant in passing off behaviour that was dubiously
      hypnotic as being hypnotic. [20]

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnosis#Milton_Erickson

      -------------------------

      Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is defined in the Oxford English
      Dictionary as "a model of interpersonal communication chiefly
      concerned with the relationship between successful patterns of
      behaviour and the subjective experiences (esp. patterns of thought)
      underlying them" and "a system of alternative therapy based on this
      which seeks to educate people in self-awareness and effective
      communication, and to change their patterns of mental and emotional
      behaviour"[1] The co-founders, Richard Bandler and linguist John
      Grinder claimed it would be instrumental in "finding ways to help
      people have better, fuller and richer lives". [2] They coined the
      title to denote a supposed theoretical connection between neurological
      processes ('neuro'), language ('linguistic') and behavioral patterns
      that have been learned through experience ('programming') and that can
      be organised to achieve specific goals in life.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

      Interpersonal communications and persuasion

      While the main goals of Neuro-linguistic programming are therapeutic,
      the patterns have also been adapted for use outside of psychotherapy
      including business communication, management training[77], sales[78],
      sports[79], and interpersonal influence[22].

      For some, the techniques, such as anchoring, reframing, therapeutic
      metaphor and hypnotic suggestion, were intended to be used in the
      therapeutic setting. Research in counseling psychology found rapport
      to be no more effective than existing listening skills taught to
      counselors.[citation needed] Furthermore, Druckman found weak
      empirical support for PRS and little theoretical support in counseling
      psychology and the experimental literature for NLP as a technique for
      social influence.[22] Sharpley concluded that most of the other
      techniques available in NLP were already available in counseling.

      Outside of psychotherapy, the meta model, for example, is seen by some
      as a promising business management communication technique.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming#Interpersonal_com=
      munications_and_persuasion

      [SEAN: I personally have had a degree of exposure to the methods and
      ideas of these 3 highly qualified professional psychotherapists , and
      can even apply with a degree of success some of the techniques they
      taught - IOW I have seen the effectiveness of this with my own eyes -
      and have delt with others trained in NLP ]

      Modeling of Fritz Perls, Virginia Satir, and Milton Erickson

      NLP began with the studies of three "master psychotherapists"[45],
      Fritz Perls, Virginia Satir, and Milton Erickson. [47] Grinder and
      Bandler reviewed many hours of audio and video of the three therapists
      and spent months imitating how they worked with clients, in order to
      replicate or 'model' the communication patterns which supposedly made
      these individuals more successful than their peers.[48] The studies
      were an attempt to identify why particular psychotherapists were so
      effective with their patients. Rather than take a purely theoretical
      approach, Bandler and Grinder sought to observe what the therapists
      were doing, categorize it, and 'model' it.[49]

      Bandler and Grinder aimed to learn and codify the "know-how" (as
      opposed to "know-what" [facts] or "know-why" [science]) that set these
      experts apart from their peers. The expert therapists knew what they
      were doing, but there were tacit aspects of this knowledge (i.e.,
      subtleties which cannot be explained or codified and can only be
      transmitted via training or gained through personal experience). In
      the initial phase of the modeling process, Bandler and Grinder spent
      months observing, in person and via recordings, and imitating how
      their models worked with clients.[19] The initial part ("unconscious
      uptake") of the modeling process involved putting aside prior
      knowledge or expectations:

      While the style and approach of these psychotherapists were apparently
      different, Bandler and Grinder believed that all experts in human
      communication (including Perls, Satir and Erickson) have patterns in
      common that could be learned by others:

      http://tiny.cc/usSMy
      or
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming#Modeling_of_Fritz=
      _Perls.2C_Virginia_Satir.2C_and_Milton_Erickson

      ---

      [ SEAN: I have also had some minor experience with Landmark, attended
      intro talks, and seen the effects of this program on people I knew. It
      is incredibly powerful program. That does NOT mean that I recommend
      such a thing. It was "very" interesting being around a large group of
      Landmark experts, and having one-on-one conversations with them. Very
      interesting indeed observing the "reactions and the eye balls doing
      double-takes" when the outcome didn't fit their expectations of what
      "should happen during a "conversation" with them. My understanding,
      but am not be 100% sure as not fully researched it , is that the
      "creator/s" developed it some time after they had left Scientology. ]

      A fundamental principle of Landmark Education's work is that people =97
      and the communities, organizations, and institutions with which they
      are engaged =97 have the possibility not only of success, but also of
      fulfillment and greatness. The ideas, insights, and distinctions on
      which Landmark's programs are based make Landmark a leader and
      innovator in the field of training and development.

      Landmark Education is a global educational enterprise offering The
      Landmark Forum and graduate courses that are innovative, effective,
      and immediately relevant. Landmark=92s leading-edge educational
      methodology enables people to produce extraordinary results and
      enhance the quality of their lives. Landmark Education=92s courses and
      seminars are offered in more than 120 cities via 55 major offices
      around the world. More than 200,000 people participate in Landmark's
      courses each year.

      http://www.landmarkeducation.com.au/

      and misc references
      http://www.zimbio.com/Landmark+Education/articles/9/Landmark+Forum+Yes+or+N=

      Most people walking into an LGAT group like Landmark have no idea of
      the level of psychological manipulation that LGAT environments can
      have. It=92s like saying you think you can handle yourself in a street
      fight, then you find out your opponent is a tenth grade black belt who
      has been street fighting for 30 years. Unless you=92ve done SERE
      training or are remarkably psychologically tough, most LGAT=92s will get
      through to you on some level.

      I=92m lucky to have been to several and avoided getting entangled but I
      would never put myself or a loved one in that situation again. It=92s
      not worth the risk to your personal life, and research shows that LGAT
      self-improvement is short-lived.

      I highly recommend you avoid Landmark. As Wendy says above, check out
      rickross.com for info on LGAT groups.
      http://www.daniellemorrill.com/2008/09/is-landmark-forum-a-cult/

      The LGAT Experience
      Having recently done an LGAT "Basic" course I thought I would take
      the opportunity to write about the experience. LGAT stands for Large
      Group Awareness Training.

      From this came the two largest LGATs;
      est/WEA/Landmark Forum founded by Werner Erhardt, and Lifespring
      founded by John Hanley. Other LGATs include Insight Seminars,
      Actualizations, PSI World and many other smaller trainings which
      basically use a similar process.

      An LGAT experience can be summarized as following a three step
      pattern.

      1) Psychological breakdown/opening up the subconscious mind.

      2) Catharsis or the releasing of repressed emotions usually caused by
      interpretations of childhood events.

      3) A rebirthing or psychological buildup with processes designed to
      make participants
      feel good about themselves, the trainer and the course.

      http://www.caic.org.au/psyther/lgat/lgat1.htm

      ---------------------------------

      My Experience With The Landmark Forum
      It was the beginning of August 2006, and being the college student
      that I was, I stuck to a tight budget. One of my dear friends had
      mentioned a seminar a few months prior. He attended this seminar as a
      teen, went to some follow up seminars, and in turn accredited his
      amazing character and productivity from what he had learned there.
      The seminar had caught my interest immediately, as I was already
      submersed into the world of personal development, and this info coming
      from one of my mastermind group members was well received. It took me
      a few months before I made the monetary commitment ($440) to attend
      this 3.5 day seminar.
      My Review: Life altering, phenomenol experience from which there is no
      turning back.
      I haven=92t heard of any seminars like that! From what I understand they
      don=92t spend a penny on advertising, but they always fill up seminars
      with casual groups of 75-250. It all works on word-of-mouth.
      So what did you get out of it? I got that in order for me to stay
      commited to myself, my actions, and my true goals I must approach them
      with a character of unshakable integrity.

      They=92re really professional and nice, the way a =93company=94 should be
      run. I promise, they aren=92t a cult! They really are doing a great
      thing.

      http://www.alexshalman.com/2007/04/08/my-experience-with-the-landmark-forum=
      /

      9 Ways That =91Yes We Can!=92 Like Barack Obama
      http://www.alexshalman.com/2009/01/20/how-to-create-change-and-foster-hope-=
      like-barack-obama/

      As I learned many years ago in the Landmark Forum, human beans are
      hope addicts. Bam-Bam is just the crack this nation, and the world,
      has been sorely in need of, and everyone just got a big =92ole jolt-dose
      of it!

      But nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING, has changed by this election. Yes,
      the African Americans have their president, finally, and good on them
      (too bad their plight will not be changed one iota by it). And in a
      couple of months history will finally bid adieu to Dubya, Inc. (lordy,
      lordy, that=92s reason to party!!). But this morning our country is
      still bankrupt. It=92s still the epicenter of planetary organized crime.
      It=92s still the biggest per capita consumer of natural resources. It=92s
      still oil dependent. Most importantly, it=92s still being run by a
      banking cabal to which the new Prezelect is completely beholden.
      http://solari.com/blog/?p=3D1778

      ----------------------

      In 1971, in a hotel ballroom in San Francisco over 35 years ago,
      transformation burst on to the national stage. Werner Erhard and his
      est Training brought to the forefront the ideas of transformation,
      personal responsibility, accountability, and possibility =96 and over
      the next decade, over a million people =93Got it=94.

      Erhard Seminars Training was as much a sign of the times as bell
      bottoms, peace rallies and space travel.
      Over the years, more than two million people from all walks of life
      participated in est or the programs that grew out of Erhard Seminars
      Training. Professionals and leaders from government, business and
      health industries, as well as people in the fields of arts and
      entertainment actively participated in the programs of est.

      http://www.erhardseminarstraining.com/

      Hubbard and Hypnosis

      L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Dianetics and Scientology, was initially
      outspoken on the subject. He wrote a manual on brain-washing, falsely
      attributing it to Beria, and in a letter offered to sell his "brain-
      washing=94 techniques to the FBI. He was also to claim "we can brainwash
      faster than the Russians. 20 secs to total amnesia=94 (Technical
      Bulletin, 22 July 1956).

      As well as showing genuine insight into hypnosis, Hubbard's statements
      are a fascinating maze of contradiction and misdirection. It soon
      becomes apparent that Hubbard is both eager to show off his knowledge
      and determined to hide something vital: that Dianetics is a form of
      hypnosis.

      Prolonged and deliberate study of Hubbard's teachings makes it
      impossible to escape the conclusion that Dianetics is a form of
      hypnosis, differing only from that subject in the words used to
      describe the procedures. Hubbard's own Policy Letter "Propaganda by
      Redefinition of Words=94 (PR series 12) gives some understanding of the
      sigificance of redefinition (something Hubbard was frequently prone
      to, "reasonable=94 and "postulate=94, for instance). The power of
      redefinition is also described in part in Robert Lifton MD's "thought
      reform model=94 under the heading "loaded language=94, or indeed in
      Korzybski's General Semantics ("the map is not the territory; the word
      is not the thing itself=94). Hubbard of course paid homage to Korzybski
      in both Science of Survival and 8-8008, and borrowed the misunderstood
      word from him (Hubbard also redefined Korzybski's various forms of
      isness). Korzybski's notions of the power of language figure not only
      as a basis for Dianetics, but also for Rational Emotive Therapy and
      Cognitve Therapy. Never underestimate the power of words! They are
      fundamental to manipulation and are the stuff of which positive
      suggestions or engrams are made.

      http://home.snafu.de/tilman/j/hypnosis.html

      An extract from the Anderson Report, prepared for the Victorian
      (Australia) Government

      page 115

      CHAPTER 18
      SCIENTOLOGY AND HYPNOSIS

      The Board heard expert evidence in relation to hypnosis and hypnotic
      techniques. There are, broadly speaking, two types of hypnosis:
      passive hypnosis, and command or authoritative hypnosis. Hypnosis,
      properly administered by skilled practitioners, has its proper place
      in psychiatric practice, and, in suitable cases, produces beneficial
      results. In the practice of medicine the type of hypnosis generally
      used is passive; the patient is allowed to, and helped to, go into
      hypnosis entirely voluntarily, and the hypnotist plays a completely
      passive role. This technique is quite the reverse of authoritative or
      command hypnosis, where the hypnotist assumes positive authoritative
      control over the patient who, though he may or may not be aware of
      what techniques the practitioner is practising on him, is nevertheless
      under the domination of the hypnotist pursuant to positive commands.

      Because of the serious risk of harm to the patient, it is only in rare
      and exceptional circumstances that authoritative hypnosis is resorted
      to in medical practice. The distinction between the two types of
      hypnosis, the one beneficial and the other potentially harmful, is to
      be borne in mind when considering the hypnotic qualities of
      scientology techniques.

      Hubbard is very familiar with hypnosis, called by him, "hypnotism", a
      term which, even at the time of his early writings, was being
      superseded in professional use. Hubbard earlier practised hypnosis as
      shown abundantly by his writings. In Scientology, issue 15-G he
      writes, "I was schooled in hypnotism and mysticism". Elsewhere he
      writes that he tried hypnotism, but gave it away because of a number
      of undesirable features which he said it possessed. In Dianetics:
      MSMH, Science of Survival, and other writings, Hubbard is highly
      critical of hypnosis, but what he is criticising and denouncing is
      authoritative or command hypnosis and to the extent that his
      criticisms relate to, and are limited to, authoritative hypnosis, they
      have considerable validity . Such criticisms, however, do not apply to
      passive hypnosis as practiced by skilled and experienced psychiatrists
      with benefit to their patients in selected cases.

      http://www.suburbia.com.au/~fun/scn/gov/anderson-hypnosis.html

      General semantics is a non-Aristotelian educational discipline created
      by Alfred Korzybski (1879=961950) during the years 1919 to 1933. General
      Semantics is distinct from semantics (a sub-field of linguistics), a
      different subject. The name technically refers to the study of what
      Korzybski called "semantic reactions", or reactions of the whole human
      organism in its environment to some event =97 any event, not just
      perceiving a human-made symbol =97 in respect of that event's meaning.
      However, people most commonly use the name to mean the particular
      system of semantic reactions that Korzybski called the most useful for
      human survival, i.e. delayed reactions as opposed to "signal
      reactions" (immediate, unthinking ones).
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_semantics

      Summary of State Laws Regarding Hypnosis
      The majority of the United States exert little or no direct regulation
      over the practice of Hypnosis or Hypnotherapy, although other laws
      generally affecting the operation of any business will usually apply
      (e.g. truth in advertising, unfair business practices, etc.).

      Colorado, Connecticut, Indiana, and Washington are the only states
      that require mandatory licensure or registration.
      http://www.hypnotherapistsunion.org/laws/usa/

      FROM
      http://www.infinityinst.com/articles/florida_hyp.html

      Over the last four years, twelve hypnotists/hypnotherapists in Florida
      have been served with cease and desist orders. Twelve may seem a small
      number considering the number of practitioners, but as President of
      the International Association of Counselors and Therapists, my
      attitude is that even one incident is too many.

      485.002 Legislative intent.
      (1) It is recognized that hypnosis has attained a significant place as
      another technique in the treatment of human injury, disease, and
      illness, both mental and physical; that the utilization of hypnotic
      techniques for therapeutic purposes should be restricted to certain
      practition-ers of the healing arts who are qualified by professional
      training to fulfill the necessary criteria required for diagnosis and
      treatment of human illness, disease, or injury within the scope of
      their own particular field of competence; or that such hypnotic
      techniques should be employed by qualified individuals who work under
      the direction, supervision, or prescription of such practitioners.

      ----------------------------

      "The laws in relation to hypnosis in Western Australia are governed by
      the relevant psychologists acts in respect to those particular states.
      For the most part, these relevant acts deem that the following
      practitioners only can legally practise hypnosis:
      " Psychologists
      " Medical Doctors, and
      " Dentists
      However, probably because of the ambiguity of these state laws and the
      inability of any person to show proof or evidence of exactly what a
      hypnotic trance is, or is not, there has not been any successful
      recorded prosecution regarding "Non Approved" people practising
      hypnosis.
      http://www.tracieokeefe.com/registration2.htm

      (