Hurricane aftermath

  • ewickings@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hi Mish and all,

      Mish, I understand the reason for posting the news and info coming out of FEMA etc, or the lack of help etc...

      I don't want to sound like I am defending the Bush camp, yet in a way it may come off just like I am.   Obviously most of us do not understand the red tape that goes along with government issues....   I used to work for DoD, so I know how some of this works.  Takes way too long to get anything done.  Although  a plan is suppose to be in place for issues like these, it still takes time to put it fully into action when needed.

      Relief efforts have been in place actually before the hurricane hit, and even though the pictures we are seeing are unbearable and heart wrenching, they are doing what they can to get food, water, and medical supplies to the victims.  My son is a Hospital Corpsman with the Navy in VA. being sent to the area to assist.   They were already on alert and being briefed before the hurricane hit, and also being trained for more than just medical relief efforts.  They also have to be prepared for the violence and dangers that goes along with how the victims are reacting.  If they were to just drop bundles of food and water for the crowd to fight over, there would be more chaos than what is happening.  They have to make every effort that will keep as many people safe, and alive as possible, even if it means more lives being lost.....  not something I am comfortable with, yet a fact of how they are handling the situation.  Some reporters are claiming most of the victims are handling their situation without violence.  Change the channel and others are saying riots, rapes and killings are on going.   Think of the worse case scenario, and that is what is happening.

      I have been sitting at my tv crying my eyes out....  having lived in Louisiana for a couple years, and family still there and in Mississippi whom we haven't heard from.   All that we can do as citizens or human beings is find a way to help.  The American Red Cross is asking for money donations, and some efforts and underway to get food, water, medications, police and fire rescue workers from various States to help in the efforts.   We all would hope that things would happen sooner!   And hopefully that is what is happening!     We all could stay home this holiday weekend and conserve the gas that will be in short supply, with the prices here near $4 bucks a gallon.

      Having been an eck borg for 30 years I never thought about this type of suffering much, I wouldn't let myself.  "Don't take on other peoples Karma...."  but for the life of me, I can't imagine anyone not feeling some sort of emotion!   Not sure how to say this, other than my heart, and prayers go out to them all, and if any of us can help in any way possible, I for one will be!

      Love and compassion is what is needed, not finger pointing.   There will be plenty of time for all that later I am sure!
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi, Liz!

        I have posted these few editorial and news items because I felt they
        addressed some truths about a lack of preparation. I didn't
        personally comment on any, but just felt that these discussions
        would be lost in the aftermath and possible backtracking that always
        happens when re-creating history. I experienced the wrath of
        Hurricane Charley last year, and many homes here are still not
        repaired and people are still without homes. The hurricane weather
        forecasters projected that this season would be far worse than last
        year's horrific storms, so that was certainly a warning. Frankly, I
        don't understand why mandantory evacuation came so late for those
        people along the gulf coast and why the poor and most vulnerable
        were not helped out of that situation. They really had no where to
        go or means to leave. I think our government, including both
        political parties, needs to re-evaluate and organize agencies to be
        better prepared for such castastropies that occur within our nation.
        Preparation and funds were not allocated for repairing and upgrading
        those levys in New Orleans--rather the money has been diverted to
        the War in Iraq--the infrastructure was let to go to pot via the
        expense of the war which is yet another issue.

        I donated to the Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund yesterday--but it
        is just a drop in the bucket against the overwhelming needs to
        rescue and repair. Some pizzeria's in this area are advertising that
        10% of their profits from pizza sales tomorrow will go to the Red
        Cross Fund. So, if you purchase a $10.00 pizza, $1.00 of it will be
        donated. Watching these news broadcasts, I think I would rather
        donate the $10.00 and skip a meal, as a reminder that many have not
        had anything to eat for days.

        Sorry, too, for seeming political, but really it is our focus now--
        what is happening along the gulf coasts--we are all going to feel
        the outer effects of this devastation for a long, long time. I can't
        remember anything that was this widespread--and I am still waiting
        to hear the count of those who perished.

        I do hope that all family and friends are safe. Terrible really to
        think about!

        Thanks, Liz--I do understand your point.

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, ewickings@a...