Re: Promotion of Eckankar Part 2 of 3 Madison Avenue Approach to Eckankar

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
      All,

      I'm resurrecting a thread that I started about a month ago on February 5, 2009. It was my first post explaining what I call "The Madison Avenue Approach to Eckankar." By this I mean the use of slick marketing to promote Eckankar. In that original post I detailed eight subcategories which I labeled A through H. About two weeks ago I thought up one more example of marketing which would be subcategory I.

      I. Remember the time Harold Klemp told a story about the little girl at the playground who taught her friend the HU? This was a long time ago, perhaps more than ten years ago. At any rate, the little girl, I believe she was six years old, taught her little friend the HU. And I believe Klemp indicated that there was some sort of upliftment or beneficial effect on the other child.

      Klemp's use of this story kept bothering me and about two weeks ago I finally figured out what was going on. In my opinion, the HU is actually a very powerful spiritual technique. It is not child's play. I I would go so far as to say that it messes a lot of people up by throwing them off balance especially if they overdo it. It is very powerful at opening the upper chakras and this can cause problems for some people. But perhaps even more importantly, I think a lot of Westerners have an adversion to it because it seems like something from an Eastern religion.

      What's Eckankar to do? Why tell a story about a six year old girl teaching the HU to her little friend. What is actually happeneing with this story is this. Children respresent innocence. And so if the HU is so innocent that a little girl can teach it to one of her friends, how can anyone dare view the HU as potentially dangerous or as something to be at all suspicious about? So Klemp's use of this story is merely a clever marketing ploy. And it uses innocent children to accomplish this goal!

      Let me give you another example. Let's say a big drug company is selling a dangerous drug. How could they fool their target audience by portraying this drug as harmless? Why make a television commercial, talk about the drug and its supposed benefits, but have the video showing a little girl dancing along in a field picking flowers or flying a kite. Sure, the video has nothing to with the drug, but the true purpose of the video is quite clear. This is actually "Advertising 101." It's something that even someone with the most basic knowledge of advertising experience could think up.

      Those of you who have followed my posts know that after this original "Madison Avenue" post I related a story in Klemp's new (2008) book "HU, The Most Beautiful Prayer" about a girl named Heidi. She used the HU to help heal a little boy. So this is another example of this. If little children are doing it, what can be wrong with it? What can be dangerous about it?

      It's all just another shameless example of how Eckankar uses marketing to fool people. And trust me, a lot of people ARE fooled because the average person does not possess the experience in life to see through these things. And how can a corporation like Eckankar do anything more shameful than this? To use innocent children to promote their religion?

      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 22, 2010
        Hello Jonathan and All,
        Klemp changes the rules as he sees fit.
        At one time these "charged words" like
        HU and ECK were kept from the general
        public because they could harm people
        by creating an imbalance that would
        have negative effects upon them.

        Thus, only "initiated" members of
        Eckankar were instructed on how to
        use these "charged words," and were
        "protected" from harm by the master.
        However, now that I think of it a
        "Charge" is either negative or positive
        in order to have an effect. Therefore,
        using a "charged word" seems like it
        could be used for either Black or White
        Magic. This is why they were kept
        hidden from the general public.

        It was kind of like "sharing" one's
        inner spiritual experiences with the
        master. Eckists were told Not to Share
        these because some Eckists didn't
        have inner experiences and this sharing
        could make them jealous or feel ashamed
        that they weren't making progress.

        And, some people would pick apart
        the experience or reinterpret it making
        the one who had it feel more confused
        or that their interpretation of it was
        inaccurate or that the dream of the
        Astral Plane. It was like "casting
        your pearls before swine." Yet, Klemp
        changed this policy as well! And, he
        did this as a promotion method.

        I wonder how many people (non-Eckists)
        are instructed Not to "direct" the HU,
        and what that means. Now, Klemp is
        saying that to HU is to pray. I'm not
        so sure that Eckankar will be received
        as well, in libraries especially, to give
        intros. First, Klemp redefines Eckankar
        as a Religion of God and now the HU
        becomes a Prayer! True, there's a lot
        of other religious crap like Hierarchies
        and Worship Services etc., but it really
        seems to me that Klemp is digressing
        back to his Lutheran roots, and he's
        taking others with him!

        One more thing. I'm thinking that