Re: Digest Number 1346

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 12:46 PM
      Sharon,

      Regarding my mispelling of Mish's name. No, I wasn't beating myself
      over it really, but it seems that I didn't explain what was going on
      very well. I had been working through some strong emotions regarding
      the feeling of "How could I have been so stupid to have believed
      Eckankar's lies." In other words, I was angry at myself about that.
      Those emotions were still in me at a very powerful level when I made
      the spelling mistake about Mish's name. So my over-reaction to that
      was do to my feelings toward Eckankar.

      This type of thing happens to me all the time. Spirit always manages
      to find some way for my repressed emotions to come to the surface so
      they can be released.

      Just the same, mispelling the name did upset me a bit because I pride
      myself on remembering people's names.

      Jonathan

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Sharon
      <brighttigress@...> wrote:

      > Hi All -
      >
      > Thoughts on today's "digest" - Prometheus, I wondered about
      that "Law of Silence" when I first joined.  For one thing, I'd
      remembered reading you should keep your initiation level to yourself,
      too, but then I noticed in the Mystic World it was frequently
      announced.  And, as the years passed and I met eckists outside of the
      little groups of locals I'd known since I joined, I was rather
      surprised because they'd ask my initiation level before they even
      knew my name!!   Well, not quite - but you know what I mean.

      > I think the bit about not revealing "deep secrets" because Twitch
      knew if people started comparing notes, they'd soon realize there
      were no "deep secrets" to reveal!!  Unless, of course, they'd forked
      over several hundred $$ for one of Twitch's "readings".  When people
      started talking, it turned out he'd give the same 'reading' to more
      than one person!!

      > Jonathan - and I'm probably mis-spelling your name - lighten up!!
      I was born with the "spelling gene", and the first time I got into
      trouble was in 2nd grade, when my teacher wrote "desert" instead
      of "dessert" and I innocently corrected her.  She was a vicious
      spiteful bitch, bet me ten cents I couldn't spell all the words in
      the 4th grade reader.  Well, I did it, no problem, but she wouldn't
      give me the dime so I could buy a comic book.  She said I had to buy
      an ice-cream at lunch.  I was a chubby kid and always dieting.  Once
      I announced I was starting a new diet, so at lunchtime she gave me a
      pkg of chocolate cupcakes for lunch.  Back then, there would be 2
      grades in one class so I ended up with this nasty woman for 3 yrs.

      > Anyway, recently a friend apologized in advance for sending an
      email quickly without using spellcheck first.  Excuse me?   Who
      cares?   Now, I've driven my kids & grandkids nuts because I'm always
      correcting spelling & grammar but I don't do it to be nasty; it's so
      they'll get better grades.  When they got a computer in elementary
      school, I immediately sat down and disabled spellcheck.   Sometimes
      back at a.r.e. I'd correct eckthug spelling just to be nasty,
      though.  I don't bother, I also type fast, I write what I'm thinking,
      I rarely notice typos much less correct them unless the keys are
      sticking.  It's the internet, no one cares.  Also, I saw something
      interesting recently, that if the first & last letters are right, the
      brain ignores any mixed-up letters in the middle.

      > The point is, what's important is that you're able to communicate.
      Are you familiar with "teenspeak"?  It's amazing, they've evolved a
      whole 'nother language for texting & chat!  It works!!   Can you
      imagine, if language didn't involve, we'd all be speaking Olde
      English, which isn't easy, although I had a professor would could
      read & speak it!!

      > I just really feel bad that you beat yourself up for messing up
      someone's name!!  Now, I don't know if that's just the way you are,
      but that's another thing ekult did, turned me inward to always
      watching & judging myself.  I've lightened up *enormously* since
      getting out, I'm "me" again, isn't it funny how something like ekult
      that preaches "unconditional divine love" and tolerance and
      acceptance, etc., actually has the opposite effect?   Because if you
      look at the Org, and Klemp Himself, as Prometheus often points out,
      what they practice and what they preach are two entirely different
      things.

      > A few years back, I read something somewhere that said humans are
      emotional creatures, and it's unnatural to *not* have them.  I think
      it's a matter of degree.  My personal pet peeve was always anger.
      Didn't like it even as a child, scared the heck out of me in others,
      but even moreso in myself.  But stifling isn't healthy, either.  So,
      I finally gave myself permission to feel angry - well, *almost*
      angry!   I think of it as very pissed off.   I let it happen, and
      then it goes immediately and I'm back to my normal happy self.

      > Twitchell was an angry person, although he tried to appear
      otherwise.  For example, that story he told about the collection
      agency who dared expect him to pay his bill.  He sicced "the eck" on
      them, and they went out of business.  I remember an HI years back
      telling a similar story at a "worship" service, how a store had
      accidentally billed her full price for an over-$100 soup tureen on
      sale, and she had to make several calls before they fixed it, so she
      hu'd at them.   The thing is, she was just *so* nasty & spiteful
      about it!   It just made me wonder.

      > Okay, I'm just in one of those "rambling" moods....have a great
      day, everyone, and be good to yourselves!!

      <EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > From: EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Digest Number 1346
      > To: EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 8:29 AM
      >
      > There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1a. Re: "Paul Twitchell played jokes on us."
      > From: jonathanjohns96
      > 1b. Re: "Paul Twitchell played jokes on us."
      > From: jonathanjohns96
      > 1c. Seekers versus Followers
      > From: prometheus_973
      >
      > 2. Re: Digest Number 1345
      > From: Sharon
      >
      > 3. DG Talks About Keeping Silent In ECKankar
      > From: prometheus_973
      >

      > Messages

      __
      > 1a. Re: "Paul Twitchell played jokes on us."
      > Posted by: "jonathanjohns96" jonathanjohns96@...
      > jonathanjohns96
      > Date: Sun Mar 1, 2009 6:26 am ((PST))
      >
      > Etznab and Mishmisha,
      >
      > I have a little bit more discussion on emotions that I went through
      > yesterday. They both have to do with when I discovered that
      Eckankar

      EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"
> [...]
      > > 3. Sadness and betrayal that Eckankar had perpetuated all of its
      > > various lies on me.
      > > 4. Anger at myself for being so stupid to have believed almost
      all
      > of
      > > Eckankar's lies.
      > >
      > > So I have had a busy day going through all of these emotions. But
      > > am feeling better now.
      > >
      > > Etznab, in another branch of this thread you wrote:
      > > "My question is this: If Paul didn't go to Paris,
      > > France, then where and when did he meet his
      > > first Eck Master in the physical? Sudar Singh?
      > > Has Eckankar Inc. ever clarified this question
      > > which naturally arises? I don't know that it has."
      > >
      > > All I can say is that Eckankar doesn't clarify much of anything.
      > The
      > > main reason is if they do the entire "Eckankar story" will
      > quickly
      > > unravel. I believe Ford Johnson mentioned this in "Confessions."
      > >
      > > Also, just a general comment, I have no idea whether Doug Marman
      > said
      > > that Paul's story of Paris, France versus Paris, Kentucky was a
      > joke
      > > perpetuated by Paul. It's possible that this was this guy's
      > > interpretation of what Doug said. Too bad we don't have an
      > "expert"
      > > on Doug's book. At this point in time I don't think I would have
      > the
      > > patience to read it.
      > >
      > > Jonathan
      > >

      > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "mishmisha9"
      > > <mishmisha9@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Jonathan
      > > >
      > > > I really like that you shared this experience with us.
      > > > I've wondered why eckists when learning the "truth"
      > > > still stand by the teachings and the l.e.m. . . . I've
      > > > thought about this a lot since reading your post
      > > > yesterday. I feel really sad because it clearly points
      > > > to the fact that eckists are delusional and follow the
      > > > eck teachings and its master blindly. When people do
      > > > that sort of thing, to put total faith and trust into
      > > > something or someone, it can be so very dangerous--
      > > > dangerous not to use one's head in other words. Laughing
      > > > it off is just plain crazy! I wonder how many of these eckists
      > > > today who are laughing and "joking" along with PT and
      > > > Doug Marman ever met or knew PT in the real? It seems
      > > > really odd to put one's faith with someone who has been
      > > > long dead and basically obscure but for the few who have
      > > > found eckankar. And Doug Marman? Well, I don't think
      > > > much of a man who continues to put spins around the truth
      > > > to continue the lies . . . and of course, Harold Klemp is
      > > > in my opinion a bigger fraud and liar than PT. He knows
      > > > the truth, but prefers to have title and money at the expense
      > > > of his eck followers . . .
      > > >
      > > > Etznab, loved your posts too! You said it very well in regards
      > > > to what else are lies--the eck masters, meeting Sudar, etc. and
      > > > also pointing out where the responsibility of truth lies!

      Eckists
      > > will

      > > EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"

      > short
      > story

      > in
      > Marman's
      > > book. I
      > not
      > very

      > he
      > > mentioned
      > been
      > never
      > > in
      > debunkers

      > Paul's
      > sister
      > > was
      > France.
      > > and
      > this
      > > fact
      > uproarous
      > some more.

      > along
      > simply
      > > got
      > Paul,
      > anything

      > in
      > truth
      > > we
      > off?
      > > It
      >
      > > Paul

      > Messages in this topic (11)

      __
      > 1b. Re: "Paul Twitchell played jokes on us."
      > Posted by: "jonathanjohns96" jonathanjohns96@...
      > jonathanjohns96
      > Date: Sun Mar 1, 2009 6:35 am ((PST))
      >
      > Mishmisha,
      >
      > Thanks for your understanding. I will remember that "mishmisha" is
      > apricot in Arabic.
      >
      > I'd rather forget about my goofup, but I think mishmash was
      > describing my state of mind and emotions yesterday as I was healing
      > all of this Eckankar-induced trauma.
      >
      > Also, as soon as I realized my mistake on that post I was saying to
      > myself "How could I have been so stupid! "How could I have been so
      > stupid!" which was exactly how I felt when I found out about the
      lies
      > in Eckankar. So that mistake on your name was really another
      healing
      > for me. It shows how spirit continues to work with me even after
      > leaving Eckankar.
      >
      > Jonathan

      > <mishmisha9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jonathan--no problem about the name mix up. Kind of funny
      > > really, but in Arabic Mishmisha means apricot! Maybe that will
      > > help you keep it sorted out! : )
      > >
      > > I can well imagine the emotions you are going through right now.
      > > I know I felt pretty stupid about my involvement in the cult.
      Can't
      > > believe I fell for it either. However, it has broadened my
      > perceptions
      > > about religions in general and a lot of other things. I hang
      around
      > > here because I do value Truth, and sharing the "eck" experience
      > in
      > > an open and honest way . . . just might help some others to think
      > > about theirs as well.
      > >
      > > Mish
      > >
      > > --- In
      > EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"
      > > <jonathanjohns96@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Mish,
      > > >
      > > > I just noticed that I thoroughly messed up your
      > name "mishmisha9."
      > > > Sorry about that. I must have seen the name "mishmash" on
      > another
      > > > message board and it got stuck in my brain. If you knew how
      much
      > I've
      > > > been through today you would know how well my brain and
      emotions
      > are
      > > > fried. I really found it very difficult to even make this
      post,
      > but I
      > > > wanted to respond to your's and Etznab's posts before too
      > much
      > time
      > > > went by.
      > > >
      > > > I'm going to make a big sign and put it on my wall to remind me
      > of your
      > > > name because that always seems to be the only way I can
      > straighten
      > > > something like this out.
      > > >
      > > > Jonathan
      > > >

      > Messages in this topic (11)

      __
> [...]
      > Tarzs. Now most ECKists will say that this "joke" was told
      > a long time ago way before Twitchell became the Mahanta.
      > That's not true! Twitchell recounts this story (i.e. lie,
      > joke) in "Difficulties Of Becoming The Living ECK Master"
      > around mid-1971.
      >
      > The reason why PT's & HK's lies bother some ECKists
      > and not others is because some a Truth Seekers while
      > the rest are Religious Followers. I've always been a Seeker
      > of Truth even before, during and after ECKankar. Those
      > EKists who close their eyes, ears, and minds are Religious
      > Followers who need to believe in Myth! These EKists don't
      > even realize that if a/the "Master" did "appear" to them in
      >
      > the "physical" that it would be in an Astral Body! And, isn't
      > it strange that Rebazar and the other ancient EK Masters,
      > who still have physical bodies, can't manifest for at least
      > the H.I. Meeting at an EK Seminar! They can only "appear"
      > on an individual and private basis. They never have and
      > never will appear to a group of ECKists because it's all
      > a "joke!"
      >
      > I think that the reason for most ECKists Not hearing or
      > seeing the Truth is because their egos are too strong and
      > protective. And, the fact that most people want to believe.
      > The problem is that we are taught to be followers. We are
      > inundated with rules at a very early age and are taught to
      > comply and obey. There are always those authority figures
      > and experts who know more than we do, at least until we've
      > become more "educated" and have matured. One has to learn
      > that there are no absolutes (except for decay of the physical).
      > Still, what turns a Follower into a Leader? Normally, and more
      > often than not, it's a combination of charisma, ego, intelligence
      > and power. What turns a Seeker into a Follower? It's simply
      > losing one's way and sleep walking through life! And, what
      > turns a Follower into a Seeker? Perhaps it's realizing that
      > one has been a Seeker all along!
      >
      > Prometheus
      >

      > Jonathan wrote:
      >
      > Etznab and Mishmisha,
      >
      > I have a little bit more discussion on emotions that I went through
      > yesterday. They both have to do with when I discovered that Eckankar
      > was a fraud.
      >
      > As I was falling asleep last night it occurred to me that another
      > emotion that came up yesterday was "disappointment." That doesn't
      > sound like a severe emotion for finding out that your religion was
      > based on lies, but believe it or not, that came up yesterday too.
      >
      > Something that didn't come up was "loss of innocence," but that
      > is
      > another emotion that commonly comes up when someone believes in
      > something and then the rug is pulled out from under them. I don't
      > recall whether "loss of innocence" is something that I went through
      > regarding Eckankar, but I heve been through if for some other things
      > and that can be a very overpowering emotion to go through.

      __

      __
      > 2. Re: Digest Number 1345
      > Posted by: "Sharon" brighttigress@... brighttigress
      > Date: Sun Mar 1, 2009 7:35 am ((PST))
      >
      > Hi All -
      >
      > Good posts recently!  Reading about that long-time eckist who just
      died, I
      > thought how sad that this probably very nice man wasted his life on
      a lie.  On
      > the other hand, he may have known the truth at some point and
      preferred to stay
      > in denial.  He may have even been not such a nice guy.  He may have
      been one
      > of those "eckthug" types.
      >
      > Anyway, I remembered a story Twitch told in "Difficulties of
      Becoming the
      > LEM", which, if you read it objectively & without the eck-fogged
      > lenses, reveals a lot.  The story was about some drunk "bum" on the
      > street - NOT an "eckmaster" - darn, the book's in a box, I'll
      > get it on the internet one of these days.  The drunk was looking
      for a
      > "Mr. Eck", and Twitch ends up thinking something like "Aha!!
      > I'll be Mr. Eck!!"
      >
      > You know, I think this story isn't the only one that really reveals
      > Twitch's contempt for his deluded followers.  I think he was
      laughing at
      > everyone.  He enjoyed pulling the wool over people's eyes, and
      > "Diff" is, in my memory, a book that really shows this if you really
      > look at it from a "literary analysis" viewpoint.
      >
      > Not too long ago I was reading a transcript of some eckmeeting,
      perhaps a board
      > meeting, Klemp was there of course, and I couldn't help thinking
      ohmigod,
      > these people are wacko and actually believe all this nonsense!   It
      took place
      > during Klemp's early years, it's probably something from Ford
      > Johnson's site.
      >
      > Yeah, it can be pretty rough when you're first going thru the
      > "deprogramming" process, but it passes.  And getting free is really
      > worth it!!   It helps to get away from it now & then, take a walk
      in the
      > woods, watch funny videos, etc.  There just aren't words to express
      how
      > wonderful it is when you finally find "you" again!!  It just takes
      > time, it's a gradual process, and it's not going to happen
      overnight.
      > Be patient, and be good to yourself.
      >
      > Take care everyone, and Think Spring!!
      >
      > Hugs,