Genocide & Big Oil in the Sudan

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      In the Business & Money section of my local newspaper today, the
      headline ran: "Oil Company Genocide Case to Proceed"

      "A judge refused to dismiss a church's lawsuit alleging that a
      Canadian energy company aided genocide in tis prusuit of oil in
      Sudan, despite efforts by the United States and Canada to stop the

      In the lawsuit, Calgary-based Talisman Energy Inc., Canada's biggist
      independent oil and gas exploration and production company, is
      accused of such crimes as ethnic cleansing, killings, war crimes,
      confiscation of property, enslavement, kidnapping and rape in Sudan.

      Talisman and the Sudanese government collaborated on a plan for the
      security of oil fields, according to the suit, with Talisman hiring
      its own advisers to coordinate military strategy with government.
      Talisman mapped out areas intended for exploration and discussed how
      to dispose of civilians in those areas, according to the
      suit. . . ." Associated Press, Sept. 1, 2005

      Below is an Open Letter that explains this a bit more. It is really
      so disheartening to see that such things are taking place in the
      world. 3rd World Countries are being raped by their own govenments
      with assistance from 1st World Democratic Countries who should have
      a high standard of ethics and concern for their fellowman instead of
      a greed for oil and money. Of course, there is always the Red Cross
      and other such groups to give a little aid to these victims which
      should be good enough--huh? Really disgusting! As well as what is
      unfolding in devastated New Orleans in this country--why is that
      such a big mess in the terms of helping those victims? New
      Orleans/Katrina ravished areas demonstrate how weak our government
      infrastructure is--how precarious it all is, especially when the
      resources of this country have been stretched as far as they have
      been stretched.

      v Talisman, Sudan & Canada's Involvement

      Open Letter to Right Hon. Paul Martin, P.C., M.P.
      By David Kilgour MP, Edmonton-Mill-Woods-Beaumont
      July 5, 2005

      OTTAWA, July 5th, 2005.

      Right Hon. Paul Martin, P.C., M.P.

      Prime Minister

      Room 309-S, Centre Block

      House of Commons

      Re: Sudan

      There is a major case under way in the United States District Court,
      Southern District of New York, against Talisman Energy, Inc. and the
      Republic of The Sudan for genocide crimes. Talisman is alleged to
      have aided and abetted the government's efforts to "dispose
      civilians" in regions where the company intended to look for oil.
      Specifically, Talisman is accused of helping Sudanese officials to
      bomb churches, kill church leaders, and attack villages to clear the
      way for oil recovery in southern Sudan.

      The suit has been brought under the Alien Tort Claims Act, which
      allows U.S. courts to hear suits by non-citizens claiming violations
      of international law, in this case by the Presbyterian Church of
      Sudan and many others.

      You may also know that the Canadian embassy in Washington has
      intervened (January 14th, 2005) on behalf of Talisman in an effort
      to have the suit dismissed. Your government specifically asserted in
      part that the exercise of jurisdiction in the suit "constitutes
      infringement in the conduct of foreign relations by the Government
      of Canada."

      Given the human rights record of the Government of Sudan and the
      nature of the allegations against the oil company, human rights
      organizations, Sudanese refugees and many concerned Canadians wonder
      why the Canadian government is intervening in the case against
      Talisman. Many view such an intervention as a demonstration of a
      lack of concern for justice for the victims of the regime's
      oil-fuelled crimes against humanity in southern Sudan.

      Mel Middleton, director of Freedom Quest International, was in
      Ruweng County recently and met with survivors who had all lost
      immediate family members in what they call a process of ethnic
      cleansing. When asked whether they thought oil companies, including
      Talisman, knew what was going on, people laughed, stating that the
      companies were helping the government directly. They stated that
      after helicopter and tank attacks swept through the area, wiping out
      villages and killing civilians, personnel of oil firms would come in
      and dispose of the bodies.

      These and other horrific accounts of the ongoing attacks on
      civilians in the area would lead many Canadians to ask a number of
      troubling questions. Among them:

      Why would the Canadian government wait for almost three years before
      contacting the US State Department seeking to intervene in the case
      after the lawyers for the plaintiffs had gone to the effort of
      acquiring over one million pages of documentation and evidence? It
      has been suggested that our government did this in the hope that
      most of the Canadian public might have already forgotten the
      allegations involving Talisman Energy at the time.

      Why is Ottawa continuing to pursue a policy of "constructive
      engagement" with Sudan's dictatorial military rulers?
      engagement is precisely the policy which Ronald Reagan used in South
      Africa. It was unsuccessful for the late president Reagan, and it
      has never produced results when dealing with genocidal
      dictatorships. As long as Canada is willing to demonstrate that we
      are prepared to continue trade relations despite Khartoum's
      complicity in genocide in several areas of Sudan, your message of
      concern for Sudan's victims will not be taken seriously by
      knowledgeable observers.

      Your government's intervention in this case also casts serious
      doubts about your commitment to human rights and corporate social
      responsibility for Canadian companies operating abroad generally. It
      has also led many to question whether Canada's own economic
      interests are—like so many other countries with oil interests in
      Sudan—preventing us from calling to justice a government deeply
      complicit with widespread ethnic cleansing and blatant human rights

      I would greatly appreciate your comments on this case in a form that
      may be shared with others concerned.

      Many thanks,

      David Kilgour

      cc: Members of Parliament and Senators

      Home Books Photo Gallery About David Survey Results Useful
      Links Submit Feedback

      So what does this have to do with ESA or spirituality? Maybe nothing
      other than it draws attention to those who feel above the fray--that
      we are all connected in ways much closer than even our outer senses
      imagined. It surely is a time to think of others, our brothers and
      sisters in the world, who are struggling as we go about the business
      of our day, including our trying to find gasoline at its lowest
      price! Yet, seeing how all of us Souls are challenged to make the
      decisions of higher consciousness through the adversities of life
      that affects and surrounds us all.

      P.S. to S.P.H., sorry for all the confrontation. It seems that we
      all need to work on understanding each other better and demonstrate
      more tolerance for our thoughts and ideas! Be well!