Re: Promotion of Eckankar Part 2 of 3 Madison Avenue Approach to Eckankar

  • D.R.D.
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
      Jonothan,

      I think maybe this article expresses
      some of the ideas I was contemplating a
      little better.

      E.S.A.,

      I'd would like to contribute this one
      to the links section.

      http://www.thepearlsofwisdom.net/Pearls_Spirits/spiritofprof_Churchian
      ityToday.html

      Might have to type out the link if it
      doesn't get all highlighted.

      Etznab
      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"
      <jonathanjohns96@...> wrote:

      > Etznab,
      > Thanks for all of your comments. Some of the wording in my previous
      > post, specifically, the "Eck Vahana comment" shouldn't have been
      said.
      > I would like to apologize for that. Sometimes it is easy for me to
      get
      > angry. But my anger should be directed at Eckankar, not my fellow
      > message board posters who are actively trying to expose Eckankar
      for
      > what it is too.
      > Jonathan

    • D.R.D.
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
        Prometheus,

        I think the link I sent in speaks
        a lot of the same language I've seen
        here and in other places.

        One might have to make exceptions
        for the "Christian" context or terms,
        but the basic message, beyond all the
        semantics, speaks volumes, IMO.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
          Hello Jonathan and All,
          Jonathan, you referred to HK's large "Smiley Bob" photo
          below. Was that the same infamous "Enzyte Bob?" I just
          saw an En"Z"yte commercial and "Smiley Bob" reminded
          me of, and resembled, Klemp! I guess that "Smiley Bob"
          and his mother were in cahoots to scam people. Hey! Isn't
          that sort of the same thing that Paul and Gail, Darwin and
          Gail, and Harold and Joan did/do by scamming ECKists. It
          seems that there's a synchronicity here. And, I'll bet that's
          why they're "really" smiling!

          If this site doesn't come up just GOOGLE: Enzyte Bob

          http://pzrservices.typepad.com/advertisingisgoodforyou/2008/02/enzyte----jail.html

          Prometheus

          Jonathan wrote:

          G. Harold Klemp's large ''Smiley Bob'' photo
          I'd like to point out one more interesting thing that I have noticed
          over my many years as a member of Eckankar. In my early days in
          Eckankar, in the main room in the Eck center, at the front of the
          room, there was a small table or stand. It had some fake or real
          flowers on it, plus a fairly small photo of the Eck master, say an 8
          by 10 inch color photo. Now (2008) and for about the past 7 years
          at least, there is a huge color photo high up on the wall in the main
          room in the Eck center. I would say the photo is about 14 by 17.5
          inches in size.

          For at least five years now, the photo of Klemp has been the "smiley
          Bob" photo of Klemp. He has a broad smile that is ridiculously
          overdone. And the smile lines on both side of his mouth were
          obviously digitally retouched to make his smile even more pronounced.
          His smile really looks absolutely silly. As one Eckist quipped "It
          doesn't even look like him." Also, his hair has been retouched from
          gray to black.

          Obviously this "Smiley Bob" photo was dreamed up by the "Madison-
          Avenue Team" at Eckankar Headquarters for one reason: to bring more
          chelas into Eckankar. The previous photo of Harold shows him with a
          very serious look on his face. But who wants to join a serious
          spiritual organization? The Madison-Avenue Team obviously
          said "Nobody wants to join a dour religion. Make everything happy-
          happy." Plus, they no-doubt said "Who wants to join a religion with
          an old guy in charge? Touch up his hair and make it darker." If you
          look at the photo you can see what a lousy job the artists did. His
          hair looks touched up. They did a little better job on the smile
          lines, but if you look at the photo closely, you can see the digital
          retouching.
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
            You guys are too funny. I mean that in a
            good way. I saw the photo :)

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
              Prometheus and Etznab,
              Yes, that's where the term "Smiley Bob" came from. I'm glad you two
              appreciate the humor. But like most good comedians I think I may
              have "stolen my material." I think I saw the term over on the
              EckankarTruth message board first. But it is absoulutely true that I
              had already noticed the similarity between Klemp's photo and the guy
              in the Enzyte commercial.
              Jonathan

              > You guys are too funny. I mean that in a
              > good way. I saw the photo :)
              >
              > Etznab

              Similar

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                Hello Etznab, Jonathan, and All,
                I really didn't see the other posts on
                another site about "Smiling Bob."

                Jonathan's comments about Klemp's
                smiling photos, "smiley Bob" and the
                fact that this was still in my thoughts
                when an Enzyte commercial came on
                TV is what "connected the dots" and
                "turned on the light bulb" for me.

                I still wasn't certain if the reference
                to "Smiley Bob" and Klemp had anything
                to do with that En"Z"yte commercial.

                http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Enzyte+Bob&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

                http://pzrservices.typepad.com/advertisingisgoodforyou/2008/02/enzyte----jail.ht\
                ml

                To see another likeness of HK just GOOGLE: Enzyte Bob

                Prometheus

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Prometheus,

                  In my original post in this thread, yes, I was saying that Harold
                  Klemp's photo with the big, exaggerated, plastic smile reminded me
                  of "Smiling Bob" in the Enzyte commercials. I was making a direct
                  comparison of the two.

                  I searched EckankarTruth. I did find a post by Sharon on December 21,
                  2008:

                  "Hmmmm....you know, in the past I've compared ekult to those ads for
                  products claiming you can increase your bust/penis several inches
                  overnight. Now, those "Smiling Bob" commercials are hilarious, and
                  claim they have millions of satisfied customers - but where's the
                  *real* proof? Any scientific studies?" [Sharon]
                  ==================

                  Although she mentions "Smiling Bob," she doesn't specifically compare
                  Harold's photo to Smiling Bob in the Enzyte commercial.

                  Maybe I did make that part up. Oh well, I guess I may go down in
                  history for something after all. I'm not sure why I thought I saw it
                  somewhere else.

                  btw, it appears that people refer to the guy in the Enzyte commercial
                  as "Smiling Bob," not my version "Smiley Bob." Even Wikipedia
                  mentions "Similin' Bob."

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyte
                  "Enzyte is widely advertised on US television as "the once daily
                  tablet for natural male enhancement". The commercials feature a
                  character known as "Smilin' Bob", who always wears a smile that is
                  implied to be caused by the enhancing effects of Enzyte; these
                  advertisements feature double entendres."

                  Jonathan

> [...]
                  >
                  > doesn't even look like him." Also, his hair has been retouched from
                  >
                  > gray to black.
                  >

                  > Obviously this "Smiley Bob" photo was dreamed up by the "Madison-
                  >
                  > Avenue Team" at Eckankar Headquarters for one reason: to bring more
                  >
                  > chelas into Eckankar. The previous photo of Harold shows him with a
                  >
                  > very serious look on his face. But who wants to join a serious
                  >
                  > spiritual organization? The Madison-Avenue Team obviously
                  >
                  > said "Nobody wants to join a dour religion. Make everything happy-
                  >
                  > happy." Plus, they no-doubt said "Who wants to join a religion with
                  >
                  > an old guy in charge? Touch up his hair and make it darker." If you
                  >
                  > look at the photo you can see what a lousy job the artists did. His
                  >
                  > hair looks touched up. They did a little better job on the smile
                  >
                  > lines, but if you look at the photo closely, you can see the digital

                • jonathanjohns96
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
                    All,

                    I'm resurrecting a thread that I started about a month ago on February 5, 2009. It was my first post explaining what I call "The Madison Avenue Approach to Eckankar." By this I mean the use of slick marketing to promote Eckankar. In that original post I detailed eight subcategories which I labeled A through H. About two weeks ago I thought up one more example of marketing which would be subcategory I.

                    I. Remember the time Harold Klemp told a story about the little girl at the playground who taught her friend the HU? This was a long time ago, perhaps more than ten years ago. At any rate, the little girl, I believe she was six years old, taught her little friend the HU. And I believe Klemp indicated that there was some sort of upliftment or beneficial effect on the other child.

                    Klemp's use of this story kept bothering me and about two weeks ago I finally figured out what was going on. In my opinion, the HU is actually a very powerful spiritual technique. It is not child's play. I I would go so far as to say that it messes a lot of people up by throwing them off balance especially if they overdo it. It is very powerful at opening the upper chakras and this can cause problems for some people. But perhaps even more importantly, I think a lot of Westerners have an adversion to it because it seems like something from an Eastern religion.

                    What's Eckankar to do? Why tell a story about a six year old girl teaching the HU to her little friend. What is actually happeneing with this story is this. Children respresent innocence. And so if the HU is so innocent that a little girl can teach it to one of her friends, how can anyone dare view the HU as potentially dangerous or as something to be at all suspicious about? So Klemp's use of this story is merely a clever marketing ploy. And it uses innocent children to accomplish this goal!

                    Let me give you another example. Let's say a big drug company is selling a dangerous drug. How could they fool their target audience by portraying this drug as harmless? Why make a television commercial, talk about the drug and its supposed benefits, but have the video showing a little girl dancing along in a field picking flowers or flying a kite. Sure, the video has nothing to with the drug, but the true purpose of the video is quite clear. This is actually "Advertising 101." It's something that even someone with the most basic knowledge of advertising experience could think up.

                    Those of you who have followed my posts know that after this original "Madison Avenue" post I related a story in Klemp's new (2008) book "HU, The Most Beautiful Prayer" about a girl named Heidi. She used the HU to help heal a little boy. So this is another example of this. If little children are doing it, what can be wrong with it? What can be dangerous about it?

                    It's all just another shameless example of how Eckankar uses marketing to fool people. And trust me, a lot of people ARE fooled because the average person does not possess the experience in life to see through these things. And how can a corporation like Eckankar do anything more shameful than this? To use innocent children to promote their religion?

                    Jonathan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 22, 2010
                      Hello Jonathan and All,
                      Klemp changes the rules as he sees fit.
                      At one time these "charged words" like
                      HU and ECK were kept from the general
                      public because they could harm people
                      by creating an imbalance that would
                      have negative effects upon them.

                      Thus, only "initiated" members of
                      Eckankar were instructed on how to
                      use these "charged words," and were
                      "protected" from harm by the master.
                      However, now that I think of it a
                      "Charge" is either negative or positive
                      in order to have an effect. Therefore,
                      using a "charged word" seems like it
                      could be used for either Black or White
                      Magic. This is why they were kept
                      hidden from the general public.

                      It was kind of like "sharing" one's
                      inner spiritual experiences with the
                      master. Eckists were told Not to Share
                      these because some Eckists didn't
                      have inner experiences and this sharing
                      could make them jealous or feel ashamed
                      that they weren't making progress.

                      And, some people would pick apart
                      the experience or reinterpret it making
                      the one who had it feel more confused
                      or that their interpretation of it was
                      inaccurate or that the dream of the
                      Astral Plane. It was like "casting
                      your pearls before swine." Yet, Klemp
                      changed this policy as well! And, he
                      did this as a promotion method.

                      I wonder how many people (non-Eckists)
                      are instructed Not to "direct" the HU,
                      and what that means. Now, Klemp is
                      saying that to HU is to pray. I'm not
                      so sure that Eckankar will be received
                      as well, in libraries especially, to give
                      intros. First, Klemp redefines Eckankar
                      as a Religion of God and now the HU
                      becomes a Prayer! True, there's a lot
                      of other religious crap like Hierarchies
                      and Worship Services etc., but it really
                      seems to me that Klemp is digressing
                      back to his Lutheran roots, and he's
                      taking others with him!

                      One more thing. I'm thinking that