Re: Information in 1979 book "Your Right To Know" by Darwin Gross

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hello Jonathan and All,
      Actually, in his "Square Peg" article Twitch
      discussed making his new creation of "Eckankar"
      into a religion. This was probably around the
      time Jack Jarvis wrote his other articles on
      Twitchell. One of the other articles by Jarvis
      (posted here), is where PT derides women and
      Negroes, and it was printed in July of 1963.

      http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/scanindexsubAcss.asp?indexID=153

      This is interesting because Twitch, also,
      stated (in another article) that he would
      never make Eckankar into a "Tax-Exempt"
      religion/org because he felt that he should
      pay taxes just like the man in the street. I'll
      have to look for that post, but I gave that quote
      and source not too long ago. Anyway I know
      he used the term "Tax-Exempt," but PT might
      not have said religion. I think Eckankar did
      start as a Non-Profit by being listed as an
      "Educational" org versus Religion. TM was
      listed as a Non-Profit Educational org. and
      Not as a Religion, but that was to hide it as
      a religion to the Western student (chela).

      Yes, I knew 8th Initiate BB. She was very protective
      of Darwin's privacy and very loyal... unlike the others.
      So, it seems like we have these descriptions of PT's
      creation. I listed two under Darwin, but I'm not
      certain if he was responsible for both. I forget
      which one was still used by Klemp until he changed
      it around the mid to late 1980s.

      PT: The Ancient Science of Soul Travel (ASOST)

      DG: The Path of Total Awareness
      Eckankar, A Way of Life

      HK: Eckankar, Religion of the Light and Sound of God

      Prometheus

      jonathan wrote:

      > Prometheus,

      I have a copy of "Your Right To Know" by Darwin Gross (Copyright 1979).

      > ECK and ECKANKAR are the only trademarks listed on page ii.
      >
      > The Introduction is by Bernadine Burlin who I believe was Darwin's
      personal secretary. On page III of the Introduction she writes "Eckankar,
      A Way Of Life, was brought to the waiting world by Sri Paul Twitchell,
      in 1965."

      > So I believe that "Eckankar, A Way Of Life" was the phrase used
      in 1979. I am virtually certain that Paul Twitchell used "Eckankar,
      The Science of Soul Travel."

      > When I joined in 1979 I definitely did not see Eckankar as a religion.
      As you stated, that is one of the things that attracted me to it.

      > However, on page 2 of "Your Right To Know" one paragraph
      starts out"ECKANKAR is not a new cult,but the oldest religious
      teaching in all the world."

      > But I still say that Eckankar as a religion was not emphasized
      in 1979. This may very well be the only reference to Eckankar as
      a religion in the entire book.

      > At some point I believe Eckankar came up with "Eckankar,
      Religion of the Light and Sound." That may have been when
      it happened.

      > Update: Page 149 of "Your Right To Know" in the "questions"
      section: "The message of ECK can never be repeated too often,
      for as a Way of Life, a very Sacred Way of Life, it has proven to be
      a path millions have hungered for, for many lifetimes."

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hello Jonathan and All,
        This is a very good summary. I thought I'd
        add P.T.s original descriptions of the EK Masters
        that tell of "high turbans" and "long beards."

        BTW- The main difference between Sikhs and
        Hindus is that the Sikhs rejected the caste system
        that is still practiced by Hindus even today!

        Further down I'd like to make a few more comments
        about ECK Centers, etc.

        Prometheus

        From post #4275:

        Hello All,
        To sum it up, it seems Klemp got it wrong
        again! PT states that YAUBL "looks very old"
        and "he doesn't walk upright" while FUBBI
        "wears a High Turban," and is "SIX FEET
        THREE" and that's without the "high turban!"

        Descriptions of ECK Masters

        From "Difficulties Of Becoming The
        Living ECK Master" pages 109-113.

        PT: "Now, Sudar Singh was a pupil
        of Rebazar Tarzs, and Rebazar Tarzs
        was a pupil of Fubbi Quantz, and
        Fubbi Quantz was a pupil or a chela
        of Yaubl Sacabi." [pg. 111]

        **********************YAUBL SACABI**********************

        YAUBL Sacabi -- According to ________YAUBL Sacabi -- According to
        PT in "Difficulties:"_______________HK in The ECKankar LexiCON:

        "FIVE FEET EIGHT or TEN"_________According to the picture he's
        "sort of a square figure"_____________bald and looks 40-50 years
        "he speaks wit great dignity"_________Also, HK claims he was alive
        _______________________________in "2000-1700 B.C." which
        "old... I would say, 2000-3000 ______means he's 3700-4000 years
        years"__________________________old Not "2000-3000 years" old.
        "He lives in a place called Agam______HK says he's not "very old"
        Des"___________________________looking, thus, he's not "bent
        ________________________________over" as PT stated.

        [Note: Agam Des/Lok is the 9th Plane]

        "he is the leader of this group________Whose right? PT or HK?
        who are the God-Eaters."_______________
        "His FACE is of a LIGHT COLOR"____*YAUBL Sacabi -- According to
        "he has very PALE BLUE EYES"_______HK in "Those Wonderful ECK
        "He looks very ascetic"_____________Masters:"

        "he LOOKS VERY OLD"_____________"A strong nose, thick neck,
        "he Doesn't WALK UPRIGHT...________well-developed muscles in
        he WALKS VERY SLOWLY"____________arms and chest outline a
        "a very high, well, I don't____________capable, rugged appearance...
        call it A HIGH VOICE, but I'd________bald head looks a bit like
        say a medium voice. It speaks________a brass dome [p.145]...
        in a higher pitch than most _________a robust man of about average
        ______________________________height, a sturdy specimen...
        voices do... he has very long ________[p. 133] a short maroon robe
        slender hands "he wears a sort_______and sturdy sandals with
        of a sandal.. a TOGA TYPE of_________wide straps." [p. 148]
        GOWN."

        [PT never mentions, here, that Yaubl was BALD]

        "he likes to sit in a corner at what
        we would call, a public market."
        "He sometimes goes into the temple
        and talks from a podium"
        "There's a light that shines over him
        as if an electrical bulb has been put
        inside of him and turned on and the
        effervescence of the light just shines
        out from him."

        FYI- Here's some comments from page 151 in "Those Wonderful
        ECK Masters." Klemp is telling a story where a chela has a "vision"
        and met an entity "the Indian guide was Yaubl Sacabi in DISGUISE."
        Next, she meets Yaubl in a class he's teaching where he's "telling
        of the enormous DANGER of WHITE MAGIC, even of dabbling in
        it. [How about Black Magic is it as dangerous? BTW- "Disguising"
        oneself as an "Indian guide" isn't dabbling in White Magic?] Yaubl
        continues, "He pointed out that when someone thinks he's above
        another, it is a kind of White Magic, too, and has consequences."
        [Thus, the EK Spiritual Hierarchy and, especially, the RESA
        Hierarchy with the initiation levels and Positions of Power above
        others is a form of White Magic... what are the consequences?]

        **********************FUBBI QUANTZ*************************

        FUBBI Quantz -- According to PT_____FUBBI Quantz -- According to
        in "Difficulties:"______________________HK in The ECKankar Lexicon:

        "a rather SERIOUS PERSONALITY"_____Fubbi's been around since "500 B.C."
        "there are times when he's a_________which means he's 2500 years old,
        humorous sort of a person."__________and Not 1000 years old as PT said!
        "He wears a HIGH TURBAN"_________There's No "Turban" and certainly not
        "he wears a LONG WHITE ROBE."______a "high" one! And No, he was not the
        "he doesn't do much appearing_______"spiritual guide" for Columbus nor
        to people"_________________________did they search for "protein" in order
        "He's VERY BUSY there in the__________to revitalize depleted nutrition for
        teachings of The Shariyat-Ki-_________Europeans. So who's right again...
        Sugmad" "He is awfully busy in________PT or HK? Oops! I forgot! Klemp
        several ways"he has an age which______copied the descriptions from PT's
        is somewhat older than most of the____ECKankar Dictionary!
        ages."
        "I would say the man... is close to
        1,000 years of age."

        "He came back as a co-worker in____[What's with this? He came back
        the early days, maybe 500-600______again after a long vacation on
        years ago."________________________the Inner Planes or what?]

        "He is VERY TALL, he's about_________[Does Fubbi look tall? Were
        SIX FEET THREE"__________________people that tall back in those
        "very swarthy, has long hands,___________days? Maybe Goliath was that
        and very pointed feet"________________tall, but I'd say PT was making
        "wears a LONG WHITE ROBE"__________it all up! Hey! Maybe that
        "a VERY SERIOUS sort of a man."______"High Turban" made him 6'3"!]

        "He will joke and laugh at times"_____*Fubbi Quantz According to HK in
        "You feel a lightness about him that____"Those Wonderful ECK Masters"
        you do around Sudar Singh."
        "Fubbi Quantz has a DEEP ROLLING____"a tall, elderly man with white hair
        VOICE."____________________________and beard, and a gentle smile...
        "He looks upon everything in life_______a WHITE ROBE that reaches WELL
        VERY SERIOUSLY"____________________BELOW HIS KNEES... PT once
        "he has a very strong mental trait"_______described him as having a
        "he takes all of his duties_______________LATERN JAW."
        EXCEEDINGLY SERIOUS."_____________"long white hair" [pg. 29] "his
        _________________________________most striking feature was a
        _________________________________LONG WHITE BEARD." [pg. 41]

        NOTE: On page 36 of TWEM Klemp
        tells a story of an ECKist who, at first,
        confused FUBBI with JESUS. I thought
        it was GOPAL DAS that they confused
        with JESUS!

        BTW- In the 2000 copyright of the
        combined printing of the Shariyats
        Books 1&2 on page X is the following:

        "BOOK ONE One is the first section of
        these works, which was DICTATED by
        FUBBI QUANTZ, the great ECK Master
        who serves at the Katsupari Monastery
        in northern Tibet."

        "BOOK TWO, is the second section of
        these works of the Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad,
        which was DICTATED by YAUBL SACABI,
        the great ECK Master who serves at the
        Gare-Hira Temple of Golden Wisdom at
        AGAM DES in the Hindu Kush mountains."

        Question: Why is Yaubl the guardian of
        the second (Astral) plane Book Two of
        the Shariyat when he resides on Agam
        Des, the 9th Plane? And Why is Gopal
        Das the guardian of the "fourth book"
        of the Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad on the "Astral
        Plane." [Shariyat 2, CH. 9] Shouldn't the
        "fourth book" be on the Mental Plane?
        And, why hasn't Gopal "dictated" the
        "fourth book" to Klemp?

        Here are some interesting tidbits I found
        in the Shariyat 2, CH. 4:

        "Fubbi Quantz, Rebazar Tarzs, and other
        ECK Masters, all having attained a high
        degree of consciousness well beyond the
        level of man, appear differently to man."

        Is that a disclaimer, or another Catch-22?

        "The state of the ECK Master is that he must
        be as perfect as the ECK or that which is known
        as the Sugmad... His human body, through which
        he operates, is in a state of health and is retained
        as long as his position is necessary within this
        physical world, several hundred years if necessary.
        Spiritually, the Living ECK Master lives in a state
        of God Consciousness for twenty-four hours a
        day. Also he has developed, but doesn't seek,
        what is known as the various siddhis powers,
        due to his high state of evolution."

        BTW- In Klemp's Lexicon he defines "siddhis" as:
        "Psychic powers, spiritual powers, supernormal
        powers, prophecy, healing, etc."

        Prometheus

        jonathan wrote:

        Promotion of Eckankar - Part 2 of 3 - The Madison Avenue
        Approach to Eckankar

        > A long time ago (20 years?) I listened to a tape by Harold Klemp. In
        > this tape he tells the story of how Eckankar had hired an advertising
        > firm to give Eckankar advice on how to promote Eckankar. He joked
        > around about the advice they received such as "Send this Rebazar Tarz
        > guy on a road trip around the United States." But if you have been
        > observing Eckankar like I have over the past fifteen years (1994-2008
        > inclusive) you will notice that Eckankar seems to have actually taken
        > a lot of this advertising advice they received seriously. I have
        > coined the term "The Madison Avenue Approach to Eckankar"
        > to describe this phenomenon.

        *P: Yes, Klemp got a big laugh from the EK Seminar crowd when he
        mentioned that these PR people wanted to send Rebazar out on the
        road to promote ECKankar. The real laugh was on us! We were actually
        laughing at our own ignorance while Klemp was having an even bigger
        laugh at our gullibility in believing in a "500 year old" Master that has
        never shown himself (to even ECKists) in his physical body in all of these
        years! Amazing!

        > And actually, this phenomenon even goes all the way back to Paul
        > Twitchell who was also concerned about the "image" of Eckankar.
        >
        > A. Paul Twitchell's ''Closely-Cropped Beard Syndrome''
        > Going all the way back to Paul Twitchell there is an interesting
        > observation that I have made. Ever notice how many times the Eck
        > writings mention that the Eck Masters all have "closely-cropped
        > beards?" Did any of these members of Eckankar ever look at a photo
        > of Fubbi Quantz or Lai Tsi? Both of these Eck masters have long beards.
        > On the surface of things, it would seem that Eckankar has some kind
        > of obsession with neatness. Psychologically speaking, that would
        > indicate some type of underlying guilt complex. But no matter... My
        > personal view is that this is part of the current "Madison-Avenue
        > Approach" to promoting Eckankar to the public. In other words, it is
        > part of Eckankar's promotional campaign which wants smartly-dressed,
        > dapper Eck Masters, not sloven ones with ragged or shaggy beards.
        > This actually started with Paul Twitchell when he instituted the "No
        > Turbans Policy" which is my next topic.

        *P: There is a dress code for ECK Leaders. Apparently, only "EK Masters"
        can look like bums!

        > B. Paul Twitchell's ''No Turbans Policy''
        > Are Eck masters allowed to wear turbans? It is something that members
        > of Eckankar need to ask themselves. In order to clarify why this is
        > true I need to ask everyone the following question: "Do you know what
        > the surname "Singh" means? And what that name implies? I will answer
        > this question by relating a short conversation that I had with a
        > native of North India.

        *P: What's even more strange is the HIGH TURBAN like the one FUBBI
        wears (according to Twitchell).

        > A few weeks ago I was talking to a lady from North India. I asked her
        > to clarify Punjabi, Sikhs, and the surname Singh. She told me that
        > Punjabi Province is 55% Hindus, and 45% Sikhs. They are similar
        > religions, but Hindus and Sikhs consider them to be completely
        > different. Sikhism split off from Hinduism about 500 years ago. She
        > said that almost all Sikhs have the surname Singh. The word "Singh"
        > means lion. The name has significance with the history of the
        > religion. Even though she is a Hindu, she knew a lot about Sikhism
        > and explained it all to me, but I forgot what she said. I already
        > knew that virtually all Sikh men in India wear turbans. The one thing
        > I forgot to ask is "What language do the Hindus and Sikhs in Punjab
        > Province speak. Wikipedia informed me that everyone in The Punjab
        > speaks Punjabi, both Hindus and Sikhs.

        *P: Since she was Hindu she probably didn't want to point out
        that she still believes in a caste system (but won't admit to it)
        and that the Sikhs rejected the caste system and that this was
        the main factor for causing this sect (religion) to be created
        in the first place.

        > The point of this is any time that a person reads an Eckankar book
        > and sees the name Singh, you should be picturing a man from North
        > India wearing a turban. You will also know that he is of the Sikh
        > religion. You would also know that he probably speaks Punjabi. I
        > believe you will be correct 95% of the time providing the man is
        > still living in India.

        *P: True. Klemp has modernized and sanitized ECKankar to make
        it more acceptable and this helps to make it more palatable in order
        to swallow all of those lies.

        > So my question to Eckankar is "Why are there no graphical depictions
        > of Eck masters showing them wearing a turban?" My own answer is that
        > Americans, even back in the 1960s when Paul T was first formulating
        > Eckankar, have a stereotypical attitude about men from India who wear
        > a turban. In America, this image is associated with snake charmers
        > and it is obviously meant to be a negative stereotype. So I honestly
        > believe that this is why no one has ever seen a depiction of Sudar
        > Singh or Kirpal Singh in Eckankar's literature. To the subconscious
        > mind of Americans, a man from India wearing a turban is seen as a
        > snake charmer, not a spiritual master.
        >
        > C. "Eckankar looks too much like an Eastern religion" or "Removing
        > the 'strange' words from Eckankar"

        > Over the past ten to fifteen years Eckankar has been systematically
        > de-emphasizing the Hindi, Persian, and Punjabi words in Eckankar. For
        > example, replacing "Sugmad" with God. This was recently noted by
        > Prometheus for the January 2009 Newsletter.
        >
        > I believe the main reason for this is because Eckankar wants all of
        > these words out of the Introductory literature because they feel that
        > it is scaring off newcomers. I see Eckankar eventually removing
        > virtually all of them from all of the Intro material. But Eckankar
        > will leave them in the Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad in order to add an air of
        > mysteriousness to the writings. Ford Johnson discussed this in his
        > book. Cultwatchers in general have pointed this out too.
        >
        > By the way, I don't think Hindi, Persian, and Punjabi words are
        > strange, but let's face it, the majority of Americans probably do. As
        > a sidelight. Regarding the word "Eck," a native Hindi speaker from
        > Northern India told me that "Ek" is more the spelling in the Punjabi
        > language, whereas "Ik" (pronounced like the English word "ache") is
        > more the spelling in the Hindi language. So "Ek" should really be
        > considered a Punjabi word. Both Hindi and Punjabi are Northern Indian
        > languages.

        *P: Well, the word change, to that of a "common language," is merely
        to Westernize ECKankar even more so! Klemp, and most Americans,
        as well as, non-Sikhs and non-Hindus are more comfortable by not
        using foreign religious terminology for use with their own religion.
        Yet, ECKists should all know that Sikhism and Hinduism are the true
        roots of ECKankar. Klemp continues to hide the fact that Twitch created
        ECKankar in the images of Ruhani Satsang and Radhasoami.

        > D. All Eckankar publications from Headquarters must be on glossy paper
        >
        > All Eckankar publications from Headquarters must be full color on
        > glossy paper. Why? It's all about appearances. Putting a first class
        > image forward. In a way I have no problem with that, but they could
        > be putting their resources toward a much more noble, spiritual goal
        > such as removing the many fear-based curses found in their writings.
        > Glossy paper wins out over that.

        *P: There's also the Style Sheet Guidelines that tell local ECKists
        what is proper and what is not when it comes to printing posters,
        EK newsletters, ads in newspapers, etc. You'd be surprised at how
        many RESAs don't know or follow these and other ESC Guidelines.

        > E. Eck Centers must look nice
        > Ever notice how Eck centers are always in nice, rented, office
        > complexes? They could save a lot of money by buying an old church
        > and using it. The reason they only use only rented, nice office space
        > is because of appearances. It puts forth the "correct" upscale, yuppy-
        > like appearance. They are not going to buy an old, run-down church.

        *P: Local EK areas don't have that much money to buy, restore, and
        maintain buildings, and for phone, gas, electric and insurance. And,
        the local area (city) has to be self-sufficient (not need help from the
        state's Satsang Society) with money, or else, there may end up being
        just one centrally located EK Center for the whole state or country!
        These EK Centers still have to do the Vahana thing and do intros and
        buy materials, rent rooms, rent booths, etc. There has to be other
        monies set aside for these and other things plus a reserve. And, let's
        not forget that all of this money is not theirs or the Satsang Society's!
        All money, assets, and materials were "donated" to and belong to the
        ESC... there is No local or state Satsang Society, or RESA ownership
        of anything. It all belongs to Klemp and Company and HK has the
        last word.

        > F. Eck Spiritual Campus
        > Ever wonder why the new building at the Eck Spiritual Campus was
        > built? I have. And the only reason I can come with is that,
        > basically, it's a visitor center for newcomers touring the Eckankar
        > grounds in Chanhassen. It's just for show. So people visiting
        > Eckankar's grounds can say "Wow, look at all these nice buildings.
        > These people are really upscale." I never heard of any member of
        > Eckankar ever taking a class there. A person on the Internet named
        > Dodie Belamy wrote an essay about Eckankar; she stated that it is
        > used to show visitors around .

        *P: IMO the new ESC building was built in order to shorten the
        drive for most of the staffers working there.. including Joan and
        Peter. I think that the old ESC was in St. Cloud (I visited there once
        in the 1980's for a private tour). Now, most of these ESC higher ups
        live in Eden Prairie. Plus, having everything in the same location
        is convenient. But, I will have to say that the guilted staircase does
        look rather Gauche and is typical of the overspending for appearance
        sake that churches (religions) tend to do to make the building seem
        "Holy" for their weak minded believers. In a way it's also a competition,
        or pissing contest among Preaches/Popes/LEMs and their big fat egos!

        > G. Harold Klemp's large ''Smiley Bob'' photo
        > I'd like to point out one more interesting thing that I have noticed
        > over my many years as a member of Eckankar. In my early days in
        > Eckankar, in the main room in the Eck center, at the front of the
        > room, there was a small table or stand. It had some fake or real
        > flowers on it, plus a fairly small photo of the Eck master, say an 8
        > by 10 inch color photo. Now (2008) and for about the past 7 years
        > at least, there is a huge color photo high up on the wall in the main
        > room in the Eck center. I would say the photo is about 14 by 17.5
        > inches in size.

        *P: Well, there are, also, Guidelines for EK Centers and "suggestions,"
        with pictures, as to how these centers should be set up. Plus, one
        of Klemp's photos is larger than the others because this 14x17 is
        a special "Donation" photo which means there was a minimum cost
        ($25) but no maximum. At our EK Center I had his HK's placed in
        the center, and higher, than the other ECK Masters since he was their
        boss. We kept the larger Donation Photo on a stand next to some silk
        flowers (sometimes a chela would bring in some freshly cut flowers).
        Since we were required (by Guidelines) to keep the current "official"
        photo displayed we ended up having a few extra older photos in the
        back office where we, also, kept a 5x7 black and white of Twitch.
        However, my opinion is that Klemp hasn't changed his "official"
        photo for years now because he's so vain! Klemp uses the younger
        looking "official" photo in the EK Youth Letter of Light and on The
        Wisdom Notes page and else where!

        > For at least five years now, the photo of Klemp has been the "smiley
        > Bob" photo of Klemp. He has a broad smile that is ridiculously
        > overdone. And the smile lines on both side of his mouth were
        > obviously digitally retouched to make his smile even more pronounced.
        > His smile really looks absolutely silly. As one Eckist quipped "It
        > doesn't even look like him." Also, his hair has been retouched from
        > gray to black.

        *P: This is the older "Official" photo that hasn't been updated. Thus,
        this is why he looks younger. The photo hasn't been touched up, but
        it does show Klemp's vanity with his looks. He was called down for this
        once, long ago, when he switched to contacts instead of eye glasses!
        Soon, he went back to his eye glasses but not before having an "official"
        photo made showing him in a Hawaiian shirt and without glasses!

        On retouch. Of course Klemp has retouches done. IMO the most
        retouches were done recently on those new photos of the ECK Masters
        and this includes Klemp's own photo!

        > Obviously this "Smiley Bob" photo was dreamed up by the "Madison-
        > Avenue Team" at Eckankar Headquarters for one reason: to bring more
        > chelas into Eckankar. The previous photo of Harold shows him with a
        > very serious look on his face. But who wants to join a serious
        > spiritual organization? The Madison-Avenue Team obviously
        > said "Nobody wants to join a dour religion. Make everything happy-
        > happy." Plus, they no-doubt said "Who wants to join a religion with
        > an old guy in charge? Touch up his hair and make it darker." If you
        > look at the photo you can see what a lousy job the artists did. His
        > hair looks touched up. They did a little better job on the smile
        > lines, but if you look at the photo closely, you can see the digital
        > retouching.
        >
        > H. And on a similar subject. Ever notice that sometime in the past
        > five to ten years there was some rule passed at Eckankar Headquarters
        > that every person shown in the Mystic World has to be smiling? I
        > noticed right away when it happened. Once again, it's another example
        > of the new paradigm in Eckankar that I call the "Happy-Happy
        > Syndrome." Portray everyone in Eckankar as smiling and you will
        > attract more members to Eckankar. My opinion is that you will attract
        > superficial people who are easily swayed by slick marketing.

        *P: I think that superficial people will be/are drawn into
        ECKankar due to the Status that initiation rank and titles
        now have. Look at these H.I.s! Are those "spiritual" people
        or actors? True, some are very good at what they do but
        they are very good actors too! This is because they are more
        delusional and live with and in their fantasy world more than
        others. They happily skip along with a basket full of promises
        just like all other religions hand out to their fearful, mindless,
        and dependent followers. I wonder, why do H.I. ECKists still
        think that they need Klemp after 30 plus years. Haven't they
        learned to be on their own and fly with their own wings!
      • D.R.D.
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
          Jonothan,

          I think maybe this article expresses
          some of the ideas I was contemplating a
          little better.

          E.S.A.,

          I'd would like to contribute this one
          to the links section.

          http://www.thepearlsofwisdom.net/Pearls_Spirits/spiritofprof_Churchian
          ityToday.html

          Might have to type out the link if it
          doesn't get all highlighted.

          Etznab
          --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"
          <jonathanjohns96@...> wrote:

          > Etznab,
          > Thanks for all of your comments. Some of the wording in my previous
          > post, specifically, the "Eck Vahana comment" shouldn't have been
          said.
          > I would like to apologize for that. Sometimes it is easy for me to
          get
          > angry. But my anger should be directed at Eckankar, not my fellow
          > message board posters who are actively trying to expose Eckankar
          for
          > what it is too.
          > Jonathan

        • D.R.D.
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
            Prometheus,

            I think the link I sent in speaks
            a lot of the same language I've seen
            here and in other places.

            One might have to make exceptions
            for the "Christian" context or terms,
            but the basic message, beyond all the
            semantics, speaks volumes, IMO.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
              Hello Jonathan and All,
              Jonathan, you referred to HK's large "Smiley Bob" photo
              below. Was that the same infamous "Enzyte Bob?" I just
              saw an En"Z"yte commercial and "Smiley Bob" reminded
              me of, and resembled, Klemp! I guess that "Smiley Bob"
              and his mother were in cahoots to scam people. Hey! Isn't
              that sort of the same thing that Paul and Gail, Darwin and
              Gail, and Harold and Joan did/do by scamming ECKists. It
              seems that there's a synchronicity here. And, I'll bet that's
              why they're "really" smiling!

              If this site doesn't come up just GOOGLE: Enzyte Bob

              http://pzrservices.typepad.com/advertisingisgoodforyou/2008/02/enzyte----jail.html

              Prometheus

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
                You guys are too funny. I mean that in a
                good way. I saw the photo :)

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Prometheus and Etznab,
                  Yes, that's where the term "Smiley Bob" came from. I'm glad you two
                  appreciate the humor. But like most good comedians I think I may
                  have "stolen my material." I think I saw the term over on the
                  EckankarTruth message board first. But it is absoulutely true that I
                  had already noticed the similarity between Klemp's photo and the guy
                  in the Enzyte commercial.
                  Jonathan

                  > You guys are too funny. I mean that in a
                  > good way. I saw the photo :)
                  >
                  > Etznab

                  Similar

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                    Hello Etznab, Jonathan, and All,
                    I really didn't see the other posts on
                    another site about "Smiling Bob."

                    Jonathan's comments about Klemp's
                    smiling photos, "smiley Bob" and the
                    fact that this was still in my thoughts
                    when an Enzyte commercial came on
                    TV is what "connected the dots" and
                    "turned on the light bulb" for me.

                    I still wasn't certain if the reference
                    to "Smiley Bob" and Klemp had anything
                    to do with that En"Z"yte commercial.

                    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Enzyte+Bob&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

                    http://pzrservices.typepad.com/advertisingisgoodforyou/2008/02/enzyte----jail.ht\
                    ml

                    To see another likeness of HK just GOOGLE: Enzyte Bob

                    Prometheus

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                      Prometheus,

                      In my original post in this thread, yes, I was saying that Harold
                      Klemp's photo with the big, exaggerated, plastic smile reminded me
                      of "Smiling Bob" in the Enzyte commercials. I was making a direct
                      comparison of the two.

                      I searched EckankarTruth. I did find a post by Sharon on December 21,
                      2008:

                      "Hmmmm....you know, in the past I've compared ekult to those ads for
                      products claiming you can increase your bust/penis several inches
                      overnight. Now, those "Smiling Bob" commercials are hilarious, and
                      claim they have millions of satisfied customers - but where's the
                      *real* proof? Any scientific studies?" [Sharon]
                      ==================

                      Although she mentions "Smiling Bob," she doesn't specifically compare
                      Harold's photo to Smiling Bob in the Enzyte commercial.

                      Maybe I did make that part up. Oh well, I guess I may go down in
                      history for something after all. I'm not sure why I thought I saw it
                      somewhere else.

                      btw, it appears that people refer to the guy in the Enzyte commercial
                      as "Smiling Bob," not my version "Smiley Bob." Even Wikipedia
                      mentions "Similin' Bob."

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyte
                      "Enzyte is widely advertised on US television as "the once daily
                      tablet for natural male enhancement". The commercials feature a
                      character known as "Smilin' Bob", who always wears a smile that is
                      implied to be caused by the enhancing effects of Enzyte; these
                      advertisements feature double entendres."

                      Jonathan

> [...]
                      >
                      > doesn't even look like him." Also, his hair has been retouched from
                      >
                      > gray to black.
                      >

                      > Obviously this "Smiley Bob" photo was dreamed up by the "Madison-
                      >
                      > Avenue Team" at Eckankar Headquarters for one reason: to bring more
                      >
                      > chelas into Eckankar. The previous photo of Harold shows him with a
                      >
                      > very serious look on his face. But who wants to join a serious
                      >
                      > spiritual organization? The Madison-Avenue Team obviously
                      >
                      > said "Nobody wants to join a dour religion. Make everything happy-
                      >
                      > happy." Plus, they no-doubt said "Who wants to join a religion with
                      >
                      > an old guy in charge? Touch up his hair and make it darker." If you
                      >
                      > look at the photo you can see what a lousy job the artists did. His
                      >
                      > hair looks touched up. They did a little better job on the smile
                      >
                      > lines, but if you look at the photo closely, you can see the digital

                    • jonathanjohns96
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3 4:12 PM
                        All,

                        I'm resurrecting a thread that I started about a month ago on February 5, 2009. It was my first post explaining what I call "The Madison Avenue Approach to Eckankar." By this I mean the use of slick marketing to promote Eckankar. In that original post I detailed eight subcategories which I labeled A through H. About two weeks ago I thought up one more example of marketing which would be subcategory I.

                        I. Remember the time Harold Klemp told a story about the little girl at the playground who taught her friend the HU? This was a long time ago, perhaps more than ten years ago. At any rate, the little girl, I believe she was six years old, taught her little friend the HU. And I believe Klemp indicated that there was some sort of upliftment or beneficial effect on the other child.

                        Klemp's use of this story kept bothering me and about two weeks ago I finally figured out what was going on. In my opinion, the HU is actually a very powerful spiritual technique. It is not child's play. I I would go so far as to say that it messes a lot of people up by throwing them off balance especially if they overdo it. It is very powerful at opening the upper chakras and this can cause problems for some people. But perhaps even more importantly, I think a lot of Westerners have an adversion to it because it seems like something from an Eastern religion.

                        What's Eckankar to do? Why tell a story about a six year old girl teaching the HU to her little friend. What is actually happeneing with this story is this. Children respresent innocence. And so if the HU is so innocent that a little girl can teach it to one of her friends, how can anyone dare view the HU as potentially dangerous or as something to be at all suspicious about? So Klemp's use of this story is merely a clever marketing ploy. And it uses innocent children to accomplish this goal!

                        Let me give you another example. Let's say a big drug company is selling a dangerous drug. How could they fool their target audience by portraying this drug as harmless? Why make a television commercial, talk about the drug and its supposed benefits, but have the video showing a little girl dancing along in a field picking flowers or flying a kite. Sure, the video has nothing to with the drug, but the true purpose of the video is quite clear. This is actually "Advertising 101." It's something that even someone with the most basic knowledge of advertising experience could think up.

                        Those of you who have followed my posts know that after this original "Madison Avenue" post I related a story in Klemp's new (2008) book "HU, The Most Beautiful Prayer" about a girl named Heidi. She used the HU to help heal a little boy. So this is another example of this. If little children are doing it, what can be wrong with it? What can be dangerous about it?

                        It's all just another shameless example of how Eckankar uses marketing to fool people. And trust me, a lot of people ARE fooled because the average person does not possess the experience in life to see through these things. And how can a corporation like Eckankar do anything more shameful than this? To use innocent children to promote their religion?

                        Jonathan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 22, 2010
                          Hello Jonathan and All,
                          Klemp changes the rules as he sees fit.
                          At one time these "charged words" like
                          HU and ECK were kept from the general
                          public because they could harm people
                          by creating an imbalance that would
                          have negative effects upon them.

                          Thus, only "initiated" members of
                          Eckankar were instructed on how to
                          use these "charged words," and were
                          "protected" from harm by the master.
                          However, now that I think of it a
                          "Charge" is either negative or positive
                          in order to have an effect. Therefore,
                          using a "charged word" seems like it
                          could be used for either Black or White
                          Magic. This is why they were kept
                          hidden from the general public.

                          It was kind of like "sharing" one's
                          inner spiritual experiences with the
                          master. Eckists were told Not to Share
                          these because some Eckists didn't
                          have inner experiences and this sharing
                          could make them jealous or feel ashamed
                          that they weren't making progress.

                          And, some people would pick apart
                          the experience or reinterpret it making
                          the one who had it feel more confused
                          or that their interpretation of it was
                          inaccurate or that the dream of the
                          Astral Plane. It was like "casting
                          your pearls before swine." Yet, Klemp
                          changed this policy as well! And, he
                          did this as a promotion method.

                          I wonder how many people (non-Eckists)
                          are instructed Not to "direct" the HU,
                          and what that means. Now, Klemp is
                          saying that to HU is to pray. I'm not
                          so sure that Eckankar will be received
                          as well, in libraries especially, to give
                          intros. First, Klemp redefines Eckankar
                          as a Religion of God and now the HU
                          becomes a Prayer! True, there's a lot
                          of other religious crap like Hierarchies
                          and Worship Services etc., but it really
                          seems to me that Klemp is digressing
                          back to his Lutheran roots, and he's
                          taking others with him!

                          One more thing. I'm thinking that