Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: Promotion of Eckankar Part 1 of 3- Dummying-Down of Eckankar

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
      "A worship service? On Sunday morning? It
      certainly sounds exactly like Christianity to me.
      Shouldn't all of that raise some red flags to the
      mebership of Eckankar?"

      My question is: "Worship of what?" Since
      the "Living Eck Master" is supposedly not to
      be worshipped as "God". However, I thought
      that was what people worshipped at church.
      God?

      God, or Sugmad, is what Paul Twitchell (&
      Rebazar Tarzs) appeared to worship in Brad
      Steiger's book but, judging by the amount of
      pictures in Eckankar Centers depicting Eck
      Masters and the leader of Eckankar, it does
      seem that the emphasis is on Eck Masters &
      the Mahanta, the Living Eck Master when one
      combines these with the "worship" of them by
      members.

      Granted, I can't speak for all Eck Centers
      but, in my opinion, the books and promotional
      materials do seem to put a lot of emphasis on
      "Eck Masters". In fact, this is what appears to
      be a major "selling point" of Eckankar dogma
      and what even (in some instances) is claimed
      to be "unique" about Eckankar when compared
      with other paths.

      I wonder if true these are not worshipped?

      I wonder, too, about the emphasis they are
      not to be worshipped.

      Does the word "worshipped" mean not to be
      worshipped as God(s)? Because, maybe this is
      why peoope leave Eckankar? I mean, when they
      feel forced to "worship" Eck Masters as "God"?

      Once, at a table for the public, a person came
      up to find out about what Eckankar believed. As
      soon as they heard about the Living Eck Master
      being like a guru and representative of God they
      said something like: "See, I don't believe in that"
      and they turned and walked away. It was fine up
      until that point. They were curious and interested
      before that.