Re: Promotion of Eckankar Part 1 of 3- Dummying-Down of Eckankar

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hello Jonathan and All,
      It seems like ECKankar stopped using the term
      "Soul Travel" with the public because it didn't
      make sense. Vahanas always had to explain that
      there was actually No "traveling" involved, although,
      at times it felt like there was the "sensation" of travel.

      Actually, the old "Bi-location" term, that Twitch first
      used, is more descriptive of splitting the consciousness,
      or of being in two places (or planes of consciousness)
      simultaneously than with the confusion surrounding
      the term Soul "Travel."

      Yes, it is clear that Klemp has taken a business approach
      with ECKankar. Recently, however, the EK training methods
      have become rather dated and questionable. For instance,
      Klemp has recommended using the 1930 copyright of
      Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
      as a training guide for EK vahanas. BTW- Why can't the
      All-Knowing Mahanta (Klemp) come up with something
      as clever as Dale Carnegie did, or poetry to equal Rumi's?
      Why doesn't Klemp present his own new and current views
      instead of recycling those of others? It's because HK's not
      all that talented (creative) or intelligent (thoughtful)!

      BTW- Isn't it interesting that Twitchell used Julian P. Johnson's
      (1938) "The Path of the Masters" to create ECKankar in 1965,
      and now, in the 21st Century, Klemp uses Dale Carnegie's
      1930 book for his EK Vahana Training!

      Here's some info I found:

      Quotes by Famous People - Dale Carnegie (1888-1955)
      was a pioneer in public speaking and personality development.
      He is perhaps the most well-known author in the field of
      communication and public speaking. He was born in Maryville,
      Missouri, USA. He grew up on a small farm, and endured the
      struggles and proverty of farming life.

      He had a strong belief that the quickest way to develop
      a persons self esteem was by public speaking. His book,
      "How to Win Friends and Influence People", was published
      in 1930 and has sold well over 10 million copies. His books
      continue to help people worldwide. He truly believe in the
      saying, "Believe that you will succeed, and you will".

      If you enjoy the quotes below, then you may enjoy the
      writings of Dale Carnegie

      Below are words of wisdom in the form of inspirational
      quotes and motivational quotes by Dale Carnegie:

      "You'll never achieve real success unless you like what
      you're doing." Dale Carnegie

      "Flaming enthusiasm backed by horse sense and persistence,
      is the quality that most frequently makes for success."
      Dale Carnegie

      "There are four ways, and only four ways, in which we
      have contact with the world. We are evaluated and classified
      by these four contacts:

      what we do,
      how we look,
      what we say, and
      how we say it." Dale Carnegie

      "The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try
      again in a different way."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small
      jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much
      stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend
      to take care of themselves."
      Dale Carnegie

      "When fate hands us a lemon, let's try to make lemonade."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.
      If only the people who worry about their liabilities would
      think about the riches they do possess, they would stop
      worrying." Dale Carnegie

      "You can make more friends in two months by becoming
      interested in other people than you can in two years by trying
      to get other people interested in you."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead
      of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not
      the lack of sleep."
      Dale Carnegie

      "The person who goes farthest is generally the one who
      is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets
      far from shore."
      Dale Carnegie

      "First ask yourself:
      What is the worst that can happen?
      Then prepare to accept it.
      Then proceed to improve on the worst."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Be more concerned with your character than with your
      reputation. Your character is what you really are while
      your reputation is merely what others think you are."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Would you sell both your eyes for a million dollars…or
      your two legs…or your hands…or your hearing? Add up
      what you do have, and you'll find you won't sell them for
      all the gold in the world. The best things in life are yours,
      if you can appreciate them."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If you don't like their rules, whose would you use?"
      Dale Carnegie

      "You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total
      of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words
      of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged.
      Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today,
      but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence
      and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home
      and think about it. Go out and get busy."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold
      you up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has
      been done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to
      get the work done."
      Dale Carnegie

      "People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see bird
      that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not
      unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds
      and horses."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished
      by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no
      help at all."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the
      quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Tell me what gives a man or woman their greatest pleasure
      and I'll tell you their philosophy of life."
      Dale Carnegie

      "I deal with the obvious. I present, reiterate and glorify the
      obvious -- because the obvious is what people need to be told."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If you want to win friends, make it a point to remember them.
      If you remember my name, you pay me a subtle compliment;
      you indicate that I have made an impression on you. Remember
      my name and you add to my feeling of importance."
      Dale Carnegie

      "All the king's horses and all the king's men can't put the past
      together again. So let's remember: Don't try to saw sawdust."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you
      up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has been
      done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to get the work
      done."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work
      you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you
      will find happines that you had thought could never be yours."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Pay less attention to what men say. Just watch what they do."
      Dale Carnegie

      "If we think happy thoughts, we will be happy. If we think miserable
      thoughts, we will be miserable."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character
      and selfcontrol to be understanding and forgiving."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Remember happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what
      you have; it depends solely on what you think."
      Dale Carnegie

      "One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that
      all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical
      rose garden over the horizon-instead of enjoying the roses blooming
      outside our windows today."
      Dale Carnegie

      "The way to defeat fear: decide on a course of conduct and follow it.
      Keep so busy and work so hard that you forget about being afraid."
      Dale Carnegie

      "Many people think that if they were only in some other place,
      or had some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful.
      So get as much happiness out of what you are doing as you can and
      don't put off being happy until some future date."
      Dale Carnegie

      IMO- Peter Skelsky's comments of 15 years of Membership Fees
      corresponds to the same 15 years worth of EK Discourses that
      have been available for years and years! These ECKists with
      initiations 1-4 would have to pay for the Discourses. I believe
      that initiates 5-9 will Not have to pay for a Memberships, BUT
      they would be expected to pay or "donate" their time and money
      (service & coin) in other ways. Those courses and trainings for
      Cleric positions, Initiator positions, ESA positions, and those
      Internet Broadcasts etc. will be how this money will be diverted.
      Besides, there are Two different kinds of Memberships now!
      There are Lower and Higher Initiates just as there are Two different
      Initiate Meetings at Seminars.

      Skelsky and Klemp are merely responding to the criticism that
      has been posted about paying for Lower Plane "spirituality" after
      the outer EK Discourses have been completed. It's kind of like
      "taxation without representation" since the LEM (Outer master)
      is more for the Lower (Plane) Initiates while the Mahanta (Inner
      Master) is more for the Higher (Plane) Initiates and shouldn't be
      concerned with money! Right! Isn't this what the EK Dogma, more
      precisely, states? Thus, future EK membership requirements must
      also change!

      jonathan wrote:

      > Through the years Eckankar has used different promotional
      techniques. I got used to Eckankar in the early years when their
      standard procedure was to give Introductory Lectures. But things
      have changed a lot since then, and it wasn't for the better. I started
      noticing these unfortunate changes long before I even considered
      leaving Eckankar.

      I have broken down these changes in the promotion of Eckankar
      into three categories:

      1. Dummying-Down of Eckankar
      2. Madison-Avenue Approach to Eckankar
      3. Christianization of Eckankar

      I know that a few people on the Internet have mentioned the
      first two briefly here and there. I can't say I have heard anyone
      mention the Christianization of Eckankar; that seems to be something
      new that I have noticed.

      1. Dummying-Down of Eckankar

      A. Harold Klemp's Dummied-Down Books
      The first thing I would like to discuss under this category is
      something that I noticed a long long time ago, perhaps in the
      mid to late 1980s. I can specifically remember going to the local
      Eckankar Center. Everyone there was abuzz because Harold had
      a new book that had come out. I picked it up, took a quick look
      and said to myself "This is the same kind of namby pamby, dull
      stories that were in his previous books." i really didn't think much
      more about it at that time, but sometime in my last year in Eckankar
      (Jan-Dec, 2008) I realized that this dummying doen of Eckankar's
      books was probably intentional. In other words, make the books
      of Eckankar so watered down that they couldn't possibly offend
      anyone.

      I did read about one person on the Internet who made the same type of
      comments about Harold's books, but I had felt this way back in the
      1980s.

      B. Removal of ''soul travel'' from the teachings of Eckankar
      There are two aspects to this. The first one is that some time in the
      past ten years Eckankar basically removed the entire concept of soul
      travel from anything that new people would ever be exposed to. Again,
      I feel that this was done so as not to "weird out" newcomers, thus
      preventing potential new members of Eckankar.

      The second aspect is de-emphasizing of soul travel in the teachings
      of Eckankar, even for long time members. I don't know exactly when
      this happened.

      Why did Eckankar de-emphasize soul travel? Somebody at Eckankar
      headquarters must have researched this and they discovered that
      almost no Eckists even do soul travel. And the ones that were doing
      it were having experiences that were at odds with the teachings of
      Eckankar. These Eckists having strange inner experiences had no one
      in Eckankar to talk to so many of them got "fet up" with Eckankar and
      left. Graham Forsythe's bad experience in this regard speaks for
      itself. He sought help from two higher initiates, then Ford Johnson,
      and eventually Harold Klemp himself. Klemp dissed him badly, proving
      that if your experiences are outside the realm of what Paul Twitchell
      experiences, they are at least highly suspect if not
      downright "wrong."

      Another thing that happenned is that somebody, presumably Klemp,
      dummied down the definition of soul travel. Soul travel is an OBE
      (out of body experience). but eventually, many experiences which were
      much less that that were all of a sudden being lableld as "soul
      travel." For example, "If you just had an amazing insight, then you
      soul traveled." Etc.

      C. Seminar in 2008 with Peter Skelesky as the speaker
      There was a seminar in the Summer or Fall of 2008 where Peter
      Skelesky was the keynote speaker. He said some seemingly wacky things
      which even shook up the higher HIs who heard it. He stated that
      Eckankar will be offering a new type of membership which has no
      requirements for the membership. Individuals who hold this
      membership in Eckankar won't read any discourses. There will be no
      requirements attached to their membership, Therefore, when this is
      instituted, there will be two types of memberships in Eckankar.

      This new membership really says a lot about the people running
      Eckankar. It really shows how low they will go to attract new members
      to Eckankar: "Remove all the requirements." I have two
      questions: "Who in their right mind would want to join Eckankar under
      these conditions? What is the benefit for them?" I see the benefit
      for Eckankar: more money, but I don't see the benefit for the new
      member.

      Also, if Eckankar decides to do this it is going to backfire badly
      because the long-term Eckists are not going to be happy at all. They
      are working hard to advance their own spirituality while they are
      side-by-side other members in Eckankar who don't have to do anything?

      I will post Parts 2 and 3 of "Promotion of Eckankar" later.

      Anyone can feel free to comment. I believe the contents of the Peter
      Skelesky talk are well known on the Internet.

      Jonathan

    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
        Prometheus,
        I'm not certain we are on the same track regarding Peter Skelsky and
        memberships. I think your comments are valid. But in the talk I am
        referring to Peter said there would be two different membership
        tracks side by side in Eckankar. Parallel to each other, but
        unrelated. The "no requirements" track would be more similar to say
        someone who is currently a Christian: they go to chuch, but that's
        about it. So the "no requirements" track would be in Eckankar just to
        go to the Worship Services and attend seminars; to a large degree
        just social activities for them. They would not read study the
        Eckankar discourses. They would not receive initiations. That is my
        understanding of what the Eckists who were there told me.
        Jonathan

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
          Hello Jonathan and All,
          Actually, there have been "Two Tracks" for EK Initiates
          for years now. And, this is reflected in the Seminar Workshops
          and Roundtables.

          There's the "fast track" for initiation and then there's the slower,
          but more "spiritual" track. This is actually a "mind game" Klemp's
          playing. Outside of the EK Seminar (back home) one has to be
          on the "fast track" for titles before one can receive that next
          "spiritual" initiation. Of course, imagination and delusion goes
          long way in believing one is "growing" spiritually. But, when
          initiations are "slowed down" one has to find the right words
          and distractions to justify this old on-going policy.

          This Third "no requirements" track might be another method
          devised to sucker people in (Bait and Switch). After a while
          these newbies and procrastinators start to covet the titles
          and/or initiations and then join as paying members. In the
          meantime they're buying EK books and spending their money
          in other EK ways. Thus, maybe this is another ploy to increase
          the numbers while, also, increasing the pool of those willing
          to buy pieces of the scam (non-joiners). Look at other religions
          and the way that many younger disillusioned people "church"
          hunt! ECKankar, too, will take their money via material purchases
          until they will, also, become disillusioned with another religion.
          With ECKankar, and religion in general, the numbers game becomes
          more and more important each year.

          Quantity versus Quality has always been a problem within
          ECKankar since the "Quality" of Klemp's H.I.s have always been
          a problem. Look at how Higher Initiations are, and have been,
          handed out with Klemp and Company. Where's the "Spiritual
          Awareness" with Klemp let alone his Higher Initiates? And, as
          I've stated before, HK is changing ECKankar to look more and
          more like his former Lutheran Church and Christianity in general!

          Prometheus

          Prometheus wrote:

          IMO- Peter Skelsky's comments of 15 years of Membership Fees
          corresponds to the same 15 years worth of EK Discourses that
          have been available for years and years! These ECKists with
          initiations 1-4 would have to pay for the Discourses. I believe
          that initiates 5-9 will Not have to pay for a Memberships, BUT
          they would be expected to pay or "donate" their time and money
          (service & coin) in other ways. Those courses and trainings for
          Cleric positions, Initiator positions, ESA positions, and those
          Internet Broadcasts etc. will be how this money will be collected.

          Besides, there are Two different kinds of Memberships now!
          There are Lower and Higher Initiates Memberships just as there
          are Two different Initiate Membership Meetings at Seminars.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
            Prometheus,

            When you said "I've stated before, HK is changing ECKankar to look
            more and more like his former Lutheran Church and Christianity in
            general!" you obviously were saying the same thing as me. I rmember
            you making comparisons to Klemp's Lutheran Church, but I though you
            were speaking in vague terms about Klemp turning Eckankar into a
            social club. I didn't know that you meant he was patterning Eckankar
            after Christianity.

            Interesting how we both noticed this independantly, but the
            membership of Eckankar can't see any of this, or if they do, they
            don't have a problem with it. It just shows me once more how much
            these people literally worship Harold Klemp. It doesn't matter what
            hair-brained scheme Klemp comes up with, the membership goes right
            along with it.

            A worship service? On Sunday morning? It certainly sounds exactly
            like Christianity to me. Shouldn't all of that raise some red flags
            to the mebership of Eckankar?

            I've been questioning why Eckankar has a worship service for many
            years. Probably since it was first instituted which I believe was
            before 1999 even.

            It's amazing how I independantly figured out many of the same things
            that you did about Eckankar, yet we have never even met or
            communicated until a few short weeks ago.
            Jonathan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
              "A worship service? On Sunday morning? It
              certainly sounds exactly like Christianity to me.
              Shouldn't all of that raise some red flags to the
              mebership of Eckankar?"

              My question is: "Worship of what?" Since
              the "Living Eck Master" is supposedly not to
              be worshipped as "God". However, I thought
              that was what people worshipped at church.
              God?

              God, or Sugmad, is what Paul Twitchell (&
              Rebazar Tarzs) appeared to worship in Brad
              Steiger's book but, judging by the amount of
              pictures in Eckankar Centers depicting Eck
              Masters and the leader of Eckankar, it does
              seem that the emphasis is on Eck Masters &
              the Mahanta, the Living Eck Master when one
              combines these with the "worship" of them by
              members.

              Granted, I can't speak for all Eck Centers
              but, in my opinion, the books and promotional
              materials do seem to put a lot of emphasis on
              "Eck Masters". In fact, this is what appears to
              be a major "selling point" of Eckankar dogma
              and what even (in some instances) is claimed
              to be "unique" about Eckankar when compared
              with other paths.

              I wonder if true these are not worshipped?

              I wonder, too, about the emphasis they are
              not to be worshipped.

              Does the word "worshipped" mean not to be
              worshipped as God(s)? Because, maybe this is
              why peoope leave Eckankar? I mean, when they
              feel forced to "worship" Eck Masters as "God"?

              Once, at a table for the public, a person came
              up to find out about what Eckankar believed. As
              soon as they heard about the Living Eck Master
              being like a guru and representative of God they
              said something like: "See, I don't believe in that"
              and they turned and walked away. It was fine up
              until that point. They were curious and interested
              before that.