The HI Newsetter - December 2008 - Photo of Klemp at Eck centers

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
      After thinking about this a little more, it occurred to me that the
      photo of Harold in the group photos of Eckists indicates to me both
      (1) a worship of Harold Klemp, and (2) that Harold Klemp has a big
      ego.

      I'd like to point out one more interesting thing that I have noticed
      over my many years as a member of Eckankar. In my eary days in
      Eckankar, in the main room in the Eck center, at the front of the
      room, there was a small table or stand. It had some fake or real
      flowers on it, plus a fairly small photo of the Eck master, say an 8
      by 10 inch color photo. Now (2008) and for about the past 7 years at
      least, there is a huge color photo high up on the wall in the main
      room in the Eck center. I would say the photo is about 14 by 17.5
      inches in size.

      I see these photos of Harold Klemp, especially the huge photos, as a
      type of "worship of the Eck master by photo." And it seems that over
      the years Eckankar headquarters has been encouraging this type of
      worship of Klemp more and more. I can't say that it is being done
      more often, but the photos are being made larger. Also, putting the
      huge photo of Klemp high on the wall tends to put every person in the
      room in a subserviant position to the photo/Klemp.

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanjohns96"
      <jonathanjohns96@...> wrote:

      > I wrote the following commentary seven days before I risigned from
      > Eckankar on December 17, 2008:
      >
      > Two days ago I received both Eckankar publications in the mail.
      >
      > First comment - Worship of Harold Klemp
      > The HI Newsletter, December, 2008
      > There is an article on front page about the Prodigal Son. At the
      end of
      > the article Harold writes:
      >
      > "Examine yourself time and again. Are you keeping up with the
      Spiritual
      > Exercises of ECK? Are you doing them with love? Do you love the
      Mahanta
      > with all your heart?"
      >
      > It's the last sentence that bothers me. Eckankar claims that worship
      > and adulation of the Eck master are discouraged in Eckankar. Then
      what
      > is this last sentence:
      >
      > "Do you love the Mahanta with all your heart?"
      >
      > It certainly sounds to me that Harold is promoting worship of
      himself.

      > I have no problem with Eckists loving Harold Klemp if they choose
      to do
      > that. But it is wrong for Harold to (1) tell them that they must,
      or (2)
      > as in the case of this HI Newsletter, use their degree of love for
      him
      > as some kind of spiritual test.
      >
      > Second comment - Harold Klemp's huge ego
      > The Mystic World and The HI Newsletter, December, 2008
      > The article on the back page which in every Mystic World is called
      the
      > "Wisdom Notes" is all about how having a big ego can hold us back. I
      > have no problem with the basic message of the article. It's a good
      > message, but I disagree with Harold's conclusions as to whether his
      > chelas have an ego problem or Harold Klemp himself has an ego
      problem.

      > Let's take a look at the photos in the two December publications. On
      > page 4 of the Mystic World (the publication for all Eckists) there
      is a
      > photo of five Eckists; one is holding a medium-sized photo of
      Harold.

      > In The HI Newsletter (the pub reserved for higher initiates in
      Eckankar)
      > there is:
      >
      > Page 3 - A photo of about 33 Eckists with a person in the middle of
      the
      > front row holding a medium-sized photo of Harold.
      > Page 4 - A photo of about 33 Eckists with a person in the middle of
      the
      > front row holding a large photo of Harold.
      > Page 5 - A photo of about 65 Eckists with a person in the middle of
      the
      > front row holding a very large photo of Harold.
      > Page 6 - A photo of about 115 Eckists with a person in the middle
      of the
      > front row holding a very large photo of Harold.
      >
      > Summary comment
      > So my point has to do with both of these first two points. First of
      all,
      > Harold Klemp requires that all of his chelas love him which seems to
      > indicate to me that he encourages them to worship him. Second of
      all,
      > Harold evidently requires that in a photo of groups of Eckists, a
      medium
      > to very large sized photo of himself be broadly displayed by the
      person
      > in the first row. Even if Harold Klemp didn't start this "photo
      > worship," he is still responisible because he obviously isn't doing
      > anything to stop it.
      >
      > So who is it in Eckankar that has the biggest ego of anybody?
      Clearly,

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
        Hello J.J.,
        Welcome to the site! Klemp does have a problem
        with photos. I wonder if that's related to those
        meetings, with Darwin, in that Sound Proof Dark
        Room, that Klemp worked in, at the ESC?

        Remember, long ago (circa June 1983), what we
        heard Harry say on that H.I. Tape about Darwin?
        Klemp said that Darwin was a Black Magician and
        that we chelas could be influenced (negatively) by
        his written words or his photos. I had one ECKist
        (a 4th) say to me, "Well, if Darwin's photo has a
        negative or psychic effect upon people then why
        wouldn't Harold's photo as well?" That should have
        been a "WAKE-UP CALL" for me! His "GOLDEN TONGUED
        WISDOM" fell upon my deaf ears. His too apparently
        since he's now a 6th! And, since I was the ECK Center
        manager, and my friend was the EK area rep, we went
        in the next day and tossed everything of Darwin's
        in the dumpster!

        BTW- Have you ever noticed that on the Wisdom
        Notes page, of The Mystic World of ECKankar, that
        Klemp's "Official Photo" is used versus any "current"
        seminar or "real" photo! The "Official" and the special
        larger and smaller wallet "Donation" Photos are earlier
        photos and make Klemp look 10 years younger! And
        yet, Klemp preaches to ECKists about their vanity!

        Some individual ECKists (RESAs, etc.) are probably buying
        the larger "Donation" Photos for display at "special" events
        while the ECK Centers must update (according to Guidelines)
        and have a current "Official" photo, on display, at the ECK
        Centers, as well as, at EK events like Satsangs classes, the
        EWS, Roundtables, etc. However, ECKankar is run rather
        loosely and I doubt that All local areas are using the current
        "Official" Photo. For these ECKists, Klemp looks like he's
        50 something! LOL!

        BTW- Did you ever notice how the followers of those
        Eastern Gurus always had Photos displayed with flowers
        around them. Just like ECKists do! I was once in TM and
        have been to ashrams and shrines and it's all the same...
        except for one thing. In ECKankar there's no incense being
        burned! Even Catholics burn incense and have photos
        of Jesus or the Saints with flowers! Then again... I guess
        that second-hand smoke can be harmful, but wouldn't
        the Mahanta protect his chosen ones from harm? Actually,
        it doesn't really matter since Klemp writes it all off as being
        one's karma, thus, he never has to "protect" anyone! It's
        always on them! Catch-22 again!

        Prometheus

        jonathanjohns wrote:

[...]

        I resigned from Eckankar on December 17, 2008:

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
          Prometheus,

          I only carried your text forward, and not my original post.

          When Harold said that Darwin's photo and written materials were a
          fear-based curse that Klemp put on all Eckists. Because from that
          point on, Eckists would be afraid of Darwin's materials. The fact
          that you and another person threw them out so promptly proves that
          the curse worked. The curse worked on me in the same manner because I
          had the same reaction. A short while ago I bought a copy of "Your
          Right To Know." As soon as I unwrapped the package I went into a
          severe state of fear and panic. So I put the book away and went to my
          healer. It turned out that my fear was caused by the fear-based curse
          that Harold Klemp put on Darwin's materials. My healer cleared
          that "energy" from me. A few days later, I picked up Darwin's book
          and read the first half of it with no problems. I was as calm as can
          be. So these curses that Eckankar uses are real, but they can be
          healed. The healing technique used was NET (Neuro-Emotional
          Technique).

          Regarding Harold's photo showing him much younger than he really is.
          I agree with you. It might be his ego, but my take on it is that this
          is a type of Madison Avenue Marketing that Eckankar Headquarters
          dreamed up: "We want a young guy heading our religion, not some old
          guy."

          Your comment about Eastern gurus always having a photo and flowers is
          right on. I was in TM before Eckankar and the way you described it is
          absolutely right. I believe that this very common in India, and they
          don't even think about it. But people should realize that not all
          Hindus follow a guru, and I would say that the vast majority do not.
          They go to the local Hindu temple. There are preists there. The
          followers worship their supreme, omnipresent God (Ik onkaar). They
          worship the Hindu Deities. There are rituals at the temple. They read
          the Hindu scriptures. And that's about it. There are no gurus at the
          temple.

          I don't know specifically about Sikhism, but I would guess that it
          might be similar. Sikhism certainly has gurus because Paul
          Twitchell's teacher Kirpal Singh was a Sikh guru, not a Hindu guru.

          Jonathan

          > Hello J.J.,
          > Welcome to the site! Klemp does have a problem
          > with photos. I wonder if that's related to those
          > meetings, with Darwin, in that Sound Proof Dark
          > Room, that Klemp worked in, at the ESC?
          >
          > Remember, long ago (circa June 1983), what we
          > heard Harry say on that H.I. Tape about Darwin?
          > Klemp said that Darwin was a Black Magician and
          > that we chelas could be influenced (negatively) by
          > his written words or his photos. I had one ECKist
          > (a 4th) say to me, "Well, if Darwin's photo has a
          > negative or psychic effect upon people then why
          > wouldn't Harold's photo as well?" That should have
          > been a "WAKE-UP CALL" for me! His "GOLDEN TONGUED
          > WISDOM" fell upon my deaf ears. His too apparently
          > since he's now a 6th! And, since I was the ECK Center
          > manager, and my friend was the EK area rep, we went
          > in the next day and tossed everything of Darwin's
          > in the dumpster!
          >
          > BTW- Have you ever noticed that on the Wisdom
          > Notes page, of The Mystic World of ECKankar, that
          > Klemp's "Official Photo" is used versus any "current"
          > seminar or "real" photo! The "Official" and the special
          > larger and smaller wallet "Donation" Photos are earlier
          > photos and make Klemp look 10 years younger! And
          > yet, Klemp preaches to ECKists about their vanity!
          >
          > Some individual ECKists (RESAs, etc.) are probably buying
          > the larger "Donation" Photos for display at "special" events
          > while the ECK Centers must update (according to Guidelines)
          > and have a current "Official" photo, on display, at the ECK
          > Centers, as well as, at EK events like Satsangs classes, the
          > EWS, Roundtables, etc. However, ECKankar is run rather
          > loosely and I doubt that All local areas are using the current
          > "Official" Photo. For these ECKists, Klemp looks like he's
          > 50 something! LOL!
          >
          > BTW- Did you ever notice how the followers of those
          > Eastern Gurus always had Photos displayed with flowers
          > around them. Just like ECKists do! I was once in TM and
          > have been to ashrams and shrines and it's all the same...
          > except for one thing. In ECKankar there's no incense being
          > burned! Even Catholics burn incense and have photos
          > of Jesus or the Saints with flowers! Then again... I guess
          > that second-hand smoke can be harmful, but wouldn't
          > the Mahanta protect his chosen ones from harm? Actually,
          > it doesn't really matter since Klemp writes it all off as being
          > one's karma, thus, he never has to "protect" anyone! It's
          > always on them! Catch-22 again!
          >
          > Prometheus

        • jonathanjohns96
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
            I messed up my first sentence:

            "When Harold said that Darwin's photo and written materials were a
            fear-based curse that Klemp put on all Eckists."

            should have been:

            "When Harold said that Darwin's photo and written materials were
            dangerous or harmful, it was a fear-based curse that Klemp put on all
            Eckists."
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
              Hello Jonathan,
              I found your post interesting. However,
              I can't say that I believe in curses.
              That's probably why they don't work
              on me. As for healing I use to do Reiki,
              but now do various combinations of my
              own individualized methods.

              BTW- I saw your correction:
              "When Harold said that Darwin's photo
              and written materials were dangerous
              or harmful, it was a fear-based curse
              that Klemp put on all Eckists."

              I believe that HK's point was to spread
              doubt and mistrust with Darwin's image
              (Darshan), and with his words, as the
              Mahanta, which tends to influence ECKists'
              visualizations and dreams.

              Therefore, Klemp was definitely hinting at
              eliminating such things, while instilling fear
              and self-righteousness, by referring to Darwin
              as a "Black Magician."

              Yes, Klemp was the one using a fear-based
              motivation to manipulate and entice us to
              do the the right thing (for him) and reject D.G.,
              and toss out his books and photos. Thus, Klemp
              was/is the real Black Magician!

              I do believe that I was either too trusting, too
              gullible, too immature, and/or too impressionable
              like most ECKists! Plus, those initiations were status
              symbols for the ego. Then again, most people, who
              believe in Religion, have similar fear-based and
              ego-based traits built into their hierarchical belief
              systems too!

              jonathan wrote:

              I messed up my first sentence:

              "When Harold said that Darwin's photo and written
              materials were a fear-based curse that Klemp put
              on all Eckists."

              should have been:

              "When Harold said that Darwin's photo and written
              materials were dangerous or harmful, it was a fear-

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
                Yes, Klemp does have his ECKies trained
                to have his picture on hand for those group
                photo shots in the Mystic World and H.I. Letter.

                All of those photos do promote worship, as well
                as, brain washing and this, too, indicates that
                Klemp has a huge Elephant sized Ego!

                However, photos of Klemp, also, bring in a lot of
                money for him. Like with his books, HK gets 50%
                royalties. This is one more reason why we see so
                many photos being promoted. There's the photo
                for the wallet, one for each car, one for the desk
                at work, one for the desk at home, the photo for
                the living room, the photos for each bedroom, the
                one for the bathroom, the photos for the ECK center,
                and the photos for the Satsang box to take to ECK
                events outside of the EK Center. Plus, "Official" photos
                are supposed to be Updated. And, since the ECK
                Masters were given a touchup most ECKists will
                want these more realistic looking renditions. HK
                has even come out with a photo of his "Gaze."

                I agree that putting the large photos of HK high up
                on the wall does give one the impression that he is
                looking down upon you just like the Sky God in Heaven!
                Klemp is a living god... in his own warped mind and
                in the confused and imbalanced minds of his deluded
                followers. Except for that... he's nobody special!

                Prometheus

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2009
                  Prometheus

                  Thanks for your comments. I made all of my observations and
                  conclusions myself. It helps me a great deal when I see that someone
                  else independantly came to the same conclusions. I especially liked
                  your wording "I agree that putting the large photos of HK high up on
                  the wall does give one the impression that he is looking down upon
                  you just like the Sky God in Heaven!" You really found the right
                  words to express it.

                  Jonathan