Re: Does anyone still HU or do different

  • drubezarne
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 7, 2008
      Hi Leanne, I think Ford's statements about Hu and Aum might be valid here.

      In Confessions of a God Seeker by Ford Johnson, he says...

      "I would ven­ture that God has no pref­er­ence and al­so that all
      sounds and words are part of ALL THAT IS, and serve equal­ly well in
      gar­ner­ing God's at­ten­tion."

      and...

      "The im­por­tant point is that all sounds or mantras can en­able the
      in­di­vid­ual to tran­scend the phys­ical di­men­sion and
      ex­pe­ri­ence the ec­stat­ic states and the in­ner planes...They all
      work and can en­able the in­divid­ual to hear the re­mark­able and
      awe-in­spir­ing sounds of the in­ner worlds. As­crib­ing greater
      mag­ic to one sound or mantra over an­oth­er is much like ar­gu­ing
      whose God is great­est. It is a mean­ing­less de­bate for ev­ery­thing
      is part of the ONE. Fur­ther, when the prac­ti­tion­er has had some
      ex­pe­ri­ence with these mantras and the in­ner ex­pe­ri­ences that
      follow, she will come to the re­al­iza­tion that these are not
      out­side sounds; they are a part of her."

      and...

      "The Va­lid­ity of Spir­itu­al Ex­er­cis­es. The ba­sic spir­itu­al
      ex­er­cise of Eck, which Paul called "the easy way," is al­so the
      ba­sic ex­er­cise of the Shabd Yo­ga tra­di­tion, and, as such,
      car­ries with it the in­trin­sic va­lid­ity of this prac­tice in the
      Yo­ga tradi­tion. In these teach­ings, the HU is sung "Hooooooo,"
      where­as in Eck­ankar, it is sung "Hu­uu­uu­uuu" or "hugh" — Paul's
      ef­fort to make it unique. The dif­fer­ence is of no re­al
      sig­nif­icance. Each sound will work and should be con­tin­ued if it
      works for you."

      As to Ek Onkar; it is a Sikh term that means "God is One." Julian
      Johnson's Path of the Masters mentions it. If you downloaded the .pdf
      book, you can do a search for it in Acrobat.

      Regards,
      Liska

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Leanne Thompson
      <le_anne_thompson@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone still HU now that they left eckankar? I use HU-OM or
      other sanskrit words.

      > BTW in a book of meditation by yogi bhajan I found EK OM KAR. I
      think it was a mantra or something like  that. Has anyone heard of that?

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 7, 2008
        Hello Liska and All,
        It's interesting that Ford said,
        "They all work and can enable
        the individual to hear the remarkable
        and awe-inspiring sounds of the INNER
        WORLDS. Ascribing greater MAGIC to
        one sound or mantra over another is
        much like arguing whose God is greatest."
        [MY CAPS]

        So, is Ford saying that these are Magical
        sounds/mantras that have "intrinsic validity."
        Isn't that a contradiction of terms? Or, is
        he saying that most people see these as
        magical words/sounds, but that these
        have "intrinsic validity" in Shabd Yoga?
        However, does Shabd Yoga have validity?
        How much or with what? BTW- I wonder
        which planes or "inner worlds" Ford was
        referring to?

        IMO it does seem that there is something
        different with the vibratory rate of this
        sound/mantra (HU) that makes it more
        unique than the other (AUM), or Not!
        Perhaps there are Universal sounds/mantras,
        as well as, more specific ones that match
        or enhance each person's/Soul's vibratory
        rate of consciousness. And, this is why one
        sound works better for one person than with
        another person.

        The other quote you gave by Ford was:

        "The Validity of Spiritual Exercises.

        The basic spiritual exercise of Eck, which Paul
        called "the easy way," is also the basic exercise
        of the Shabd Yoga tradition, and, as such, carries
        with it the INTRINSIC VALIDITY of this practice
        in the Yoga tradition. In these teachings, the
        HU is sung "Hooooooo," where as in Eckankar,
        it is sung "Huuuuuuu" or "hugh." [MY CAPS]

        Personally, I often have trouble accepting any
        promises and beliefs from any religion as valid
        and, especially, from those religions that have
        "Living Masters" who have set themselves up as
        Masters/Godmen/Saviours/Prophets.

        It is interesting about the HU being sung as
        "Hooooooo" (who) and "Huuuuuuu" (hue/hugh).

        I knew ECKists who would sing HU as "Hooooooo"
        (who)! It was very strange and they sang loud!!!
        I never did ask them why they did this, but they
        believed they were part of Harry's inner (Inner)
        Circle and were more special than most of his
        RESAs. They had a small following at the major
        EK Seminars and were very aloof towards the
        RESA structure and toward rules and guidelines
        in general. They usually ignored these or acted
        As If they had no knowledge of these ESC approved
        procedures. Delusion runs rampant in ECKankar!

        Prometheus

        Liska wrote:
[...]

        ME: [My Caps]