Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: What now?

  • Ma-li
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
      Liska, I haven't checked these out yet, but will soon.  Still trying to get all of Ford's ebook read, but have to do it slowly since it really hurts my eyes to read on the monitor.

      Thanks bunches.

      Namaste

      Ma-li

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
        Hi Prometheus,

        Thank you for all your wonderful, knowledgeable comments.  I do appreciate them, and can relate to what you said.

        I too wanted to believe all the malarky that was being fed to me, and had problems buying into what HK was saying.  As Eckankar evolved/devolved under HK, it seemed to be leaving me with an empty feeling.  I could get the same stories from any 5th grader.  I made that comment to another Eckist, and was told HK had to make it simpler for those just "coming in".  If those "coming in" were supposed to be already more spiritually advanced than those of us who had been there a long time, then why dumb it down.  Just one more thing that didn't set well with me.

        As for the spiritual exercises, apparently I didn't do them in an acceptable manner, but that was the way that was comfortable to me.  I haven't done them in quite a while now, and eventually will invent my own means of doing spiritual contemplation, if need be.  I spend a lot of time in Nature....gonna go out on a limb here and tell you that my entire life has been involved with helping animals in need...from the newborn to the ancient with special needs that require almost constant care.  I learned more about love from these animals than I ever did from HK, and feel blessed to have been given so much unconditional love and trust by beings usually untrusting of humans.  As each one passed over, it broke my heart, but I knew they were in a better place.  At least they had experienced love on this plane, and I'm sure it helped their Soul progression too. They were as close to me as my own heartbeat, and still are even tho' they have gone.

        By giving up this spiritual path, I feel more free to be me, and to know and love all life whatever the form.  Still have to work on the rattlesnakes and flies however. lol

        I think I bought into Eckankar for as long as I did because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.  As the dis-satisfatico grew, I knew I had to be true to myself first and foremost.  Maybe it was the challenge of attaining initiations, I'm not certain.  I just know that somewhere along the line they ceased to matter, and my eyes were opening to see more about the spiritual path I was on. Didn't like what I saw, but didn't know how to get off the path.   I have done lots of "outside" reading over the years, and that has been instrumental in my eyes being opened.  Then there was that little sticking point that has always galled me........needing a mediator to connect with God.  If I didn't believe priests, ministers etc. could do it,  why should the Mahanta be any different???  There was no difference, and I finally "saw the light".

        My test has been taken, and I've completed it long before the others.  I have no doubts, and don't need to recheck my answers.  I won't sit around and wait for the others to finish, but will walk out the door into a world of fun, love, joy, and totally of my making.  I am the captain of my own ship now, and feel certain I will attain whatever spiritual goals I set for myself.

        I have been feeling guilty about not feeling guilty about leaving Eckankar.  It was guilt that had me wondering what to do next.  Now, thanks to all the wonderful posts by you, etznab, aftrek, mish, the guilt has gone away.  You all took the plunge with your eyes wide open, went thru the "what now" period, and emerged on the other side as full, complete human beings in charge of your own destinies.  May I join your ranks?

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
          Hello Ma-li,
          It appears that you have already joined
          our ranks! You sound like an old friend
          where the passage of time and space
          becomes irrelevant to the friendship,
          the journey, and to the connection of Soul.

          I enjoyed reading of your experiences
          and insights too. Yes, I too have mixed
          feelings about flies and rattlesnakes.
          I usually give them fair warning first and
          offer them an out before taking preventative
          (extreme) measures. The thing is it startles
          me, at times, when other (friendly) snakes
          sneak up on me, or I "discover" them. It's
          actually kind of funny, but I scold them
          for scaring me or for me scaring myself!

          Prometheus

          Ma-li wrote:
[...]

          [snip]

          Ma-li (also) wrote:
[...]

        • drubezarne
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 2008
            Hi Leanne, I think Ford's statements about Hu and Aum might be valid here.

            In Confessions of a God Seeker by Ford Johnson, he says...

            "I would ven­ture that God has no pref­er­ence and al­so that all
            sounds and words are part of ALL THAT IS, and serve equal­ly well in
            gar­ner­ing God's at­ten­tion."

            and...

            "The im­por­tant point is that all sounds or mantras can en­able the
            in­di­vid­ual to tran­scend the phys­ical di­men­sion and
            ex­pe­ri­ence the ec­stat­ic states and the in­ner planes...They all
            work and can en­able the in­divid­ual to hear the re­mark­able and
            awe-in­spir­ing sounds of the in­ner worlds. As­crib­ing greater
            mag­ic to one sound or mantra over an­oth­er is much like ar­gu­ing
            whose God is great­est. It is a mean­ing­less de­bate for ev­ery­thing
            is part of the ONE. Fur­ther, when the prac­ti­tion­er has had some
            ex­pe­ri­ence with these mantras and the in­ner ex­pe­ri­ences that
            follow, she will come to the re­al­iza­tion that these are not
            out­side sounds; they are a part of her."

            and...

            "The Va­lid­ity of Spir­itu­al Ex­er­cis­es. The ba­sic spir­itu­al
            ex­er­cise of Eck, which Paul called "the easy way," is al­so the
            ba­sic ex­er­cise of the Shabd Yo­ga tra­di­tion, and, as such,
            car­ries with it the in­trin­sic va­lid­ity of this prac­tice in the
            Yo­ga tradi­tion. In these teach­ings, the HU is sung "Hooooooo,"
            where­as in Eck­ankar, it is sung "Hu­uu­uu­uuu" or "hugh" — Paul's
            ef­fort to make it unique. The dif­fer­ence is of no re­al
            sig­nif­icance. Each sound will work and should be con­tin­ued if it
            works for you."

            As to Ek Onkar; it is a Sikh term that means "God is One." Julian
            Johnson's Path of the Masters mentions it. If you downloaded the .pdf
            book, you can do a search for it in Acrobat.

            Regards,
            Liska

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Leanne Thompson
            <le_anne_thompson@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone still HU now that they left eckankar? I use HU-OM or
            other sanskrit words.

            > BTW in a book of meditation by yogi bhajan I found EK OM KAR. I
            think it was a mantra or something like  that. Has anyone heard of that?

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 7, 2008
              Hello Liska and All,
              It's interesting that Ford said,
              "They all work and can enable
              the individual to hear the remarkable
              and awe-inspiring sounds of the INNER
              WORLDS. Ascribing greater MAGIC to
              one sound or mantra over another is
              much like arguing whose God is greatest."
              [MY CAPS]

              So, is Ford saying that these are Magical
              sounds/mantras that have "intrinsic validity."
              Isn't that a contradiction of terms? Or, is
              he saying that most people see these as
              magical words/sounds, but that these
              have "intrinsic validity" in Shabd Yoga?
              However, does Shabd Yoga have validity?
              How much or with what? BTW- I wonder
              which planes or "inner worlds" Ford was
              referring to?

              IMO it does seem that there is something
              different with the vibratory rate of this
              sound/mantra (HU) that makes it more
              unique than the other (AUM), or Not!
              Perhaps there are Universal sounds/mantras,
              as well as, more specific ones that match
              or enhance each person's/Soul's vibratory
              rate of consciousness. And, this is why one
              sound works better for one person than with
              another person.

              The other quote you gave by Ford was:

              "The Validity of Spiritual Exercises.

              The basic spiritual exercise of Eck, which Paul
              called "the easy way," is also the basic exercise
              of the Shabd Yoga tradition, and, as such, carries
              with it the INTRINSIC VALIDITY of this practice
              in the Yoga tradition. In these teachings, the
              HU is sung "Hooooooo," where as in Eckankar,
              it is sung "Huuuuuuu" or "hugh." [MY CAPS]

              Personally, I often have trouble accepting any
              promises and beliefs from any religion as valid
              and, especially, from those religions that have
              "Living Masters" who have set themselves up as
              Masters/Godmen/Saviours/Prophets.

              It is interesting about the HU being sung as
              "Hooooooo" (who) and "Huuuuuuu" (hue/hugh).

              I knew ECKists who would sing HU as "Hooooooo"
              (who)! It was very strange and they sang loud!!!
              I never did ask them why they did this, but they
              believed they were part of Harry's inner (Inner)
              Circle and were more special than most of his
              RESAs. They had a small following at the major
              EK Seminars and were very aloof towards the
              RESA structure and toward rules and guidelines
              in general. They usually ignored these or acted
              As If they had no knowledge of these ESC approved
              procedures. Delusion runs rampant in ECKankar!

              Prometheus

              Liska wrote:
[...]

              ME: [My Caps]