Daily Digest, Twitch & Catholicism

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      A "quickie" here....

      1. Twitch tried to join the Catholic Church because he wanted to marry a Catholic woman, but supposedly the priest refused him because he was divorced. Technically, that shouldn't have mattered because he wasn't a Catholic when he divorced, but that was pre-Vatican II and most priests were sort of hard-core strict fundies. Also, I have it on good authority that there's a very "racy" novel in the ESC vaults which Twitch wrote, based on his affair with the Catholic woman. Supposedly he claimed the Blessed Virgin Mary was appearing to him and giving him advice on the relationship, perhaps this is why he invented the Blue Lady of Eck? Doug Marman supposedly showed this book and others to a now-deceased eckist.

      After I left ekult, I happened to tune into a show on EWTN, "The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius" - and it seemed like it was pure "eck". Haven't read the book, but it's sort of funny that Ignatius of Loyola was accused of plagiarism. Anyway, it was pretty shrewd of Twitch to claim that his "eck" was the original source of everything so that's why people might see "similarities" elsewhere, when the truth was that Twitch just plain took everything from elsewhere. Heck, even the "mail order cult" thing wasn't new, I believe it's in "Letters to a Chela" where he's talking about cults and mentions one done thru the mail.

      2. "Grouply" - not long ago I got an "invite" from an ET member who got ET thru "Grouply". At first I just went there and gave my name & password, then very quickly thought uh-oh, unsubscribed, and changed my password immediately. Did a bit of research, ended up excluding ET from being carried by "Grouply", which is something Yahoo group owners can do.
      I can't see any reason to join or use Grouply.

      Bye, all!

      Hugs,

      Sharon

      PS - Hey, Chuck - nice to "see" you again! Have you ever run across anything about plagiarism in Stranger by the River? When I was an eckist,
      I had very strong thoughts that Twitch did *not* write that book, thought most of it had definitely been written by a woman. If you run across anything, drop me a line!