An Excerpt from Ford Johnson's Introduction to "Confessions of a God Seeker"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2005
      It seems to me that there is so much rationalization about the lies
      and deceptions that were a large part of Paul Twitchell's
      fabrication of Eckankar and also the continuing perpetuation of
      these lies in order to establish and maintain the validity of this
      new age religion of Harold Klemp's. For me, I see Klemp enjoying the
      throne he sits upon. He is not about to be knocked off in part
      because many eckists and former eckists continue to hold on to
      the "truths" they gleaned from the teachings and to focus on what
      they perceive as the validity of Eckankar. Instead of moving on,
      they diligently dig down deep in the teachings to find those pearls'
      of truths, probably to help justify their Eckankar experience and
      soothe the pain of having been duped. They have grasped onto the
      brass ring, and just can't let go, even though letting go is the
      real path to spiritual freedom. However one should be able to let go
      and move on, because the truths that were sprinkled within the
      teachings (which by the way, there always have to be truths inside
      of lies in order to deceive), are found elsewhere. Those truths are
      not singular or original to Eckankar.

      I truly recommend that Eckists and non Eckists who have not already
      done so read Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God Seeker."
      Challenge your beliefs by reading this very important book. You
      should not be afraid of Truth. Below is an excerpt from Ford's book,
      written at the end of his Introduction:

      "A good friend had argued once:

      [T]his is a world of duality and nothing here is perfect. My
      yardstick is, 'is it good enough.' In our culture at a certain point
      in life we seem to loose the capacity to innocently idealize
      anything or anybody.

      He was right in a way, but is 'good enough' really good enough? I
      suppose 'good enough' is all right when speaking of Caesar salad or
      bean soup, but what about spiritual unfoldment? Doesn't good enough
      imply stagnation, acceptance of the status quo, quitting, deceiving
      ourselves into thinking that we are there when clearly we are not?
      Without new insights and truth, we are apt to say it is 'good
      enough.' But when we see the truth in something, it leads us to new
      levels of awareness where the old is no longer good enough, because
      part of divine discontent is the driving force to want more and to
      want the best. Who willingly accepts something less when better is
      known and available as an equal choice? At first, we feel this drive
      as a desire for things and stuff. In time, it is sublimated to a
      desire for higher consciousness, to know who and what we really are.
      This is where truth leads.

      But truth also can cause discomfort, for it is the catalyst of
      change. Change produces distress only when we reject where it is
      taking us. We always prefer the comfort of the known and reject, as
      long as we can, the mystery and uncertainty of the unknown. This
      entire discussion could be a metaphor for the underlying theme of
      this book: good enough is not good enough if it means avoiding
      truth.

      However, even growth and change are not uniformly continuous. There
      are rest points in eternity. Points where we can sit back and absorb
      what we have learned and benefit from our advancement. When we tarry
      too long and are not challenged to advance to a new level of
      awareness, we are stuck in 'good enough.' To my friend and others
      who read this book, I can only say that I hope it will be good
      enough for a while -- but only for a while."

      Ford Johnson
      2003

      And to those former members of Eckankar who are having trouble
      sorting out where they are now, please believe that you need no
      master or group to become spiritually enlightened. Enlightenment
      comes from within the seeker! Trust your abilities and don't look
      back anymore or worry that Twitchell, Gross, Klemp or anyone else
      who may follow might have had good intentions. Their purpose was to
      deceive so they would achieve their own egomanial and grandiose
      goals--all at the expense of those who trusted to believe them!