my brother wants to know if ECK is a cult before he gets involved.

  • Kevin Kinnamore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
      My brother is in prison in Oregon. He is trying to get his life
      straightened out. He is really trying to get to know God and
      wants to be a good person and please God. He is not as mature
      as most people his age. He is also under-educated.

      Our mother is an Eckist and is sending him her "propaganda".
      He asked me in confidence if I could help him find out if it
      is some sort of cult.

      Now, I am a Christian, and I could tell him about Jesus Christ
      and what Christ has done for me. But, that is not what he wants
      from me.

      And i don't want to go behind my mothers back and knock
      her religion.

      Will someone direct me on how to help him. What I can send
      him, or what someone else can send him. He is in a state prison
      and is easily misled.

      Could someone help me out??
      FROM PROMETHEUS:

      Dear Kevin,
      Others cannot tell you what to do. Perhaps, you should do as
      your brother has asked and let the chips fall where they may
      with your Eckist mother. Is Eckankar a cult? YES! Is EK as dangerous
      as Other (past and present) Cults? It Could become very deadly
      if Klemp becomes more unstable! Eckankar, however, has been
      deadly, dangerous and controlling, in varying degrees, over the
      years for many Eckists. All religions are similar... only the dogma
      varies.

      I suggest that you read the site's message archives and the LINKs,
      as well as, download Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God
      Seeker."

      http://tinyurl.com/589tcr

      Thanks for your inquiry!
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
        Hello, Kevin!

        I think Prometheus is giving some good advice in that the archives and the
        links page has a wealth of information regarding eckankar and its cult
        behaviors. It seems that your brother is reaching out to you with his
        concerns about eckankar so I think you will be able to help him with
        some further research, beginning on this site and others as well. Has your
        mother been a long time member of eckankar or is she a newbie?
        I ask this since you say you are Christian and since you don't seem to
        know that much about eckankar, I am assuming you and your brother
        were not exposed to eckankar while growing up. Wishing you the best
        in helping your brother, and please don't hesitate to ask more
        questions as you do your research.

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Kinnamore"
        <kkinnamore@...> wrote:

        > My brother is in prison in Oregon. He is trying to get his life
        > straightened out. He is really trying to get to know God and
        > wants to be a good person and please God. He is not as mature
        > as most people his age. He is also under-educated.
        >
        > Our mother is an Eckist and is sending him her "propaganda".
        > He asked me in confidence if I could help him find out if it
        > is some sort of cult.
        >
        > Now, I am a Christian, and I could tell him about Jesus Christ
        > and what Christ has done for me. But, that is not what he wants
        > from me.
        >
        > And i don't want to go behind my mothers back and knock
        > her religion.
        >
        > Will someone direct me on how to help him. What I can send
        > him, or what someone else can send him. He is in a state prison
        > and is easily misled.
        >
        > Could someone help me out??
        > FROM PROMETHEUS:
        >
        > Dear Kevin,
        > Others cannot tell you what to do. Perhaps, you should do as
        > your brother has asked and let the chips fall where they may
        > with your Eckist mother. Is Eckankar a cult? YES! Is EK as dangerous
        > as Other (past and present) Cults? It Could become very deadly
        > if Klemp becomes more unstable! Eckankar, however, has been
        > deadly, dangerous and controlling, in varying degrees, over the
        > years for many Eckists. All religions are similar... only the dogma
        > varies.
        >
        > I suggest that you read the site's message archives and the LINKs,
        > as well as, download Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God
        > Seeker."
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/589tcr
        >
        > Thanks for your inquiry!

      • Leanne Thompson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
          Is kirpal singhs successor still giving initiations? Is that path a safe one to study / be on?

          Thanks
          Leanne

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
            Golly-Gee, Leanne--I could give a rats ass about sorting out gurus,
            mainly because I think they're all frauds! The discussions on
            this site have been pointedly negative toward these sects/groups,
            including even major religions. The thing is when one walks away
            from one cult/sect--does one really have to find another? : )

            Mish

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Leanne Thompson
            <le_anne_thompson@...> wrote:

            > Is kirpal singhs successor still giving initiations? Is that path a safe one to study / be on?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Leanne

          • drubezarne
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
              Leanne:

              Yes, read the Sant Mat literature because there's a lot of wisdom in
              it and it will teach you how to meditate. Whenever the literature
              mentions the Master just substitute the word God because there is only
              Soul and God. You don't need anyone getting between you and God.

              I believe in teachers, but not Masters who act as intercessors between
              you and God. If you look for a teacher, then observe their actions and
              words very carefully. A true teacher should never indulge in the 5
              passions.

              Walk away as fast as you can from any Master that exhibits the following:

              1. Anger - He criticizes and finds fault in his students, other
              religious/spiritual paths, other leaders of spiritual/religious paths,
              and his former students. See the previous thread from Harold Klemp's
              article about the Fox in the Henhouse. He also lectures on the
              mistakes of others and points out their defects. He scolds and blames
              others for all that goes wrong. He takes offense easily.

              2. Vanity - He loves long titles like Sri Harold Klemp, The Mahanta,
              The Living Eck Master and he constantly reminds us of this title and
              how much power it carries. He loves his position of power and will
              even create a hierarchy that places him ever higher and more removed
              from his followers.

              Vanity and Anger go hand in hand because vain people are often bossy,
              scold, and like to find fault in others, but never in themselves.
              Their view is that they are infallible. A vain person like Harold
              Klemp imagines he is calling attention to his own virtues by pointing
              out the faults of others. In actuality he is only revealing his own
              shortcomings. If he is opposed, he will try to punish that person. See
              Ford Johnson's book which tells how Harold punished Graham by taking
              away his initiations and how he disciplined Ford and other H.I.'s.

              Self proclaimed counterfeit Masters like Klemp enjoy making public
              speeches, are eager to see their name and picture in print, and like
              to remind us of their godliness.

              3. Greed - This is a common passion of many self-proclaimed Masters.
              One of the signs that shows that they are suffering from it is their
              lack of pity, love, and kindness. Anger consumes and greed hardens.
              Some of the ways greed makes itself known is when counterfeit Masters
              like Klemp misrepresent themselves and their established religious
              path by cover ups such as make-believe explanations that hide the
              truth, lies, trickery, falsehoods, and concealing their finances.

              4. Attachment - A Master who exhibits concern or anxieties about the
              direction his religion and some of his followers are going, surely
              suffers from attachment. Attachment is the king of procrastination.
              Look how Klemp put off telling his followers the real truth about the
              extent of Paul's plagiarism. He even delayed having the truth come out
              by making up a fairy tale story of astral libraries. When you see him
              write so much about his illnesses and his trivial daily routines, it
              shows his attachment to the physical body. When Harold Klemp urges his
              followers to do service, he is only promoting an attachment to duty.

              5. Lust - Maybe someone else can take over here.

              Regards
              Liska

              <le_anne_thompson@...> wrote:

              > Is kirpal singhs successor still giving initiations? Is that path a
              safe one to study / be on?

              > Thanks
              > Leanne

            • vicchaiken
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
                What is the difference between Eckankar, Christianity
                or any other religion. At the foundation none of the
                claims are provable and all have to do with buying
                into a set of beliefs that are taken on faith which use
                the power of rationalization and ignorance to bind
                the follower to the system. Read The God Delusion.