Our Experience in Eckankar Was What Was Needed at the Time?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
      I have heard several ex members of Eckankar explain away the time
      spent in the organization as being what was needed at the time. I
      would like to ask this: was it really what was needed or was it what
      we "thought" was needed? There is a fine line of distinction here,
      as I see it, and I think it is important, because when we give
      credit to Eckankar for this learning or that experience, we also are
      validating the teachings of Eckankar. If we validate it, will we
      ever be free of it? Also, when this "religious" scam is validated--I
      do believe that Twitchell saw it as a very good means of income for
      him along with perhaps a couple other reasons that have to do with
      ego--it gives present members the impression that there is no
      harm/no foul involved. It also might encourage new seekers to spend
      time there--as a stepping stone to spiritual enlightenment that so
      many of us like to describe it! Why misguide by soothing ourselves
      with the notion that Eckankar is what we needed at the time? As I
      mentioned in a previous post, sure we learned some things, but I
      think it was more despite the entrapment of Eckankar--and that might
      be exactly why we are no longer members. When the light bulb of
      truth came on, we recognized it and got the heck out of the
      illusional/delusional/deceptive organization called Eckankar. We
      paid our dollars and spent our time there, but should we give it
      credit for anything? Is it necessary to do this? Remember it is more
      kind to be truthful for our own well-being as well as others. : )

      Mish
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
        Hello Mish,

        <mishmisha9@y...> wrote:
        > I have heard several ex members of Eckankar explain away the time
        > spent in the organization as being what was needed at the time. I
        > would like to ask this: was it really what was needed or was it
        >what
        > we "thought" was needed?

        That's a real good question! I think it was what we thought was
        needed. In my case, it was the best I could do at the time it
        happened, and once I had made the decision, I didn't really question
        it for quite a while - for too long, even! I think I could have left
        much earlier - when I think back now, I was really into it during the
        first 3 or 4 years, and then again between 1998 and 2001. During that
        time, things happened that seemed to confirm that Eckankar was the
        right way for me. Now that I know better and looking back, I can see
        clearly how deluded I was! And, I must admit that I did notice it at
        the time as well and that it took me quite a while before being able
        to acknowledge that!

        > There is a fine line of distinction here,
        > as I see it, and I think it is important, because when we give
        > credit to Eckankar for this learning or that experience, we also
        >are
        > validating the teachings of Eckankar. If we validate it, will we
        > ever be free of it?

        This fine line of distinction is very important indeed! I agree with
        you. Everything that we experienced while in Eckankar and the growth
        that took place was in spite of Eckankar - not because of Eckankar! I
        think Eckankar slowed our growth. But well, we didn't want or could
        not leave before. And, of course, they made us believe that we would
        be damned if we left life and that, in fact, Eckankar was life! What
        crap, and dangerous at that, too!

        > Also, when this "religious" scam is validated--I
        > do believe that Twitchell saw it as a very good means of income for
        > him along with perhaps a couple other reasons that have to do with
        > ego--it gives present members the impression that there is no
        > harm/no foul involved.

        Eckankar seems harmless enough on the surface. Even when I first
        left, I couldn't see for a very long time how much damage it does to
        seekers, and how much it did to me, even if I did keep of what was
        left of my critical thinking. :-) It's only now that I can see the
        extent of damage that Eckankar is doing, and that is why it's
        important to inform people! It's so good that now, there's such a
        variety of critical information about Eckankar available!

        > It also might encourage new seekers to spend
        > time there--as a stepping stone to spiritual enlightenment that so
        > many of us like to describe it! Why misguide by soothing ourselves
        > with the notion that Eckankar is what we needed at the time? As I
        > mentioned in a previous post, sure we learned some things, but I
        > think it was more despite the entrapment of Eckankar--and that
        >might
        > be exactly why we are no longer members.

        Very well put, Mish! I agree completely!

        Ingrid
      • Greg and Liz
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005

          mishmisha9 <mishmisha9@...> wrote:

          I have heard several ex members of Eckankar explain away the time spent in the organization as being what was needed at the time. I would like to ask this: was it really what was needed or was it what we "thought" was needed?

          ****  I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it now, either way. (It has been two years since I took the leap and am no longer that "cliff hanger" to eckantrap...)  The 30 years spent as a member, I feel like I was more or less a sheep.  I don't believe it was necessary for my growth, as I was suppressing "gifts" in which we were told we shouldn't delve into.  I was / am an unusual individual anyway!  I know that any experiences I had before, during and after is validation to me that there is a grand scheme to everything.  But not the scheme eckankrap spins.

          Focused spiritual exercises, (gazing at Klump for 20 mins, etc) was never part of my daily schedule.  In fact I can honestly claim I never put much effort into spiritual exercises.  I was /am one of those few that can "experience" at will without the chanting, or focused attention.... I used to feel guilty because I didn't do my spiritual exercises as eckankrap said they should be done.  It felt unusual to me to "have to do" them in any controlled manner.  What was wrong with these Master's that they had to focus????

          Anyway, getting off on a tangent and not enough coffee in my system to stay focused!  LoL  It will be interesting to see what others have to share on this topic.  :-)

          Liz

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
            Hi Ingrid,
            This is interesting so I think I'll share more about Klump too!

            Ingrid wrote:
            > That's a real good question! I think it was what we thought was
            needed. In my case, it was the best I could do at the time it
            happened, and once I had made the decision, I didn't really question
            it for quite a while - for too long, even! I think I could have left
            much earlier - when I think back now, I was really into it during
            the first 3 or 4 years, and then again between 1998 and 2001. During
            that time, things happened that seemed to confirm that Eckankar was
            the right way for me. Now that I know better and looking back, I can
            see clearly how deluded I was! And, I must admit that I did notice
            it at the time as well and that it took me quite a while before
            being able to acknowledge that!

            Prometheus writes:
            ***At the time I felt Eckankar was what I needed because I wasn't
            finding any other group that was right for me. I had been in the ARE
            Cayce group, TM, associated with a British psychic, the Unity School
            of Christianity, healing methods, and several other teachings and
            groups prior to Eckankar. However, I was looking for spiritual
            growth! During all of those years there were several times that I
            did almost quit Eckankar, but I kept telling myself that I was just
            going through the Dark Night of Soul. Now I know better!

            > > There is a fine line of distinction here, as I see it, and I
            think it is important, because when we give credit to Eckankar for
            this learning or that experience, we also are validating the
            teachings of Eckankar. If we validate it, will we ever be free of it?

            > This fine line of distinction is very important indeed! I agree
            with you. Everything that we experienced while in Eckankar and the
            growth that took place was in spite of Eckankar - not because of
            Eckankar! I think Eckankar slowed our growth. But well, we didn't
            want or could not leave before. And, of course, they made us believe
            that we would be damned if we left life and that, in fact, Eckankar
            was life! What crap, and dangerous at that, too!

            ***Yes, Eckankar just happened as we were living life, but we could
            have been living life more freely and fully without Eckankar! We
            just didn't realize it until we left and the weight was lifted from
            our shoulders! It has been difficult for me to admit this, but it is
            true... Eckankar has no value as a path to God Realization!

            > > Also, when this "religious" scam is validated--I do believe that
            Twitchell saw it as a very good means of income for him along with
            perhaps a couple other reasons that have to do with ego--it gives
            present members the impression that there is no harm/no foul
            involved.

            > Eckankar seems harmless enough on the surface. Even when I first
            left, I couldn't see for a very long time how much damage it does to
            seekers, and how much it did to me, even if I did keep of what was
            left of my critical thinking. :-) It's only now that I can see the
            extent of damage that Eckankar is doing, and that is why it's
            important to inform people! It's so good that now, there's such a
            variety of critical information about Eckankar available!

            ***I agree with what you both have said. Twitchell may have been a
            curious God-seeker at one time, but he was also a liar and egomanic!
            He enjoyed deceiving people and puffing himself all up while
            inventing a new vocation for himself (LEM/Mahanta) much like his
            friend did L. Ron Hubbard.

            > > It also might encourage new seekers to spend time there--as a
            stepping stone to spiritual enlightenment that so many of us like to
            describe it! Why misguide by soothing ourselves with the notion that
            Eckankar is what we needed at the time? As I mentioned in a previous
            post, sure we learned some things, but I think it was more despite
            the entrapment of Eckankar--and that might be exactly why we are no
            longer members.

            ***I also completely agree! There is some spiritual wisdom there but
            it was stolen from other sources! Twitchell made all of this
            information his own and just passed it along as did Gross and now
            Klemp. The only one of the three with any clue was Twitchell and he
            couldn't be trusted! So, what is Eckankar? A made up spiritual scam
            (like others) that stole the good things and made up the rest. And,
            let's face it, Eckankar has no spiritual leaders because they know
            it's all a lie, or they live in delusion as we once did! None of
            them have been or are any more honest or God-Realized as is G.W.
            Bush!