Re: The Telephone Game

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
      Liz wrote:
      "One of my siblings took a "History Of Religions" class in college
      a couple years ago. This was when she actually did some back
      ground research on eckankar. (snip)

      I left the teachings almost 5 yrs ago, but it took my sister longer
      to find her way out. The class she took, as well as her instructor,
      pushed her to research eckankar not only from a members
      perspective, but with a neutral look into it's history. When she
      started looking for info on the net, that was when she actually
      realized there was more to my leaving the path and being disowned
      by my entire family because of it, than she understood."

      Liz,
      This is a good point about studying the history of any religion. It
      requires a neutral look in order to understand. Several months ago I posted
      about the enjoyable interviews that Bill Moyers did on his PBS program discussing
      Faith and Reason with individuals of varying views on religion. It was a really good
      program because it highlighted how and why there is so much conflict between
      religious believers and critical thinkers. The biggest flaw with religion is
      that those who are the leaders of a religious group require the obedience of
      non-thinking. Religions for the most part depend on faith--hence, so many
      prayers are sent out. But for the most part followers are being preyed upon!

      Another point is that it seems sinful to criticize a religion for its practices.
      For that reason few seem concerned enough to truly protect the little
      children (young girls) who were removed from that fundamentalist cult in Texas.
      Some professionals believe returning them to their families is in the children's
      best interest, along with some educating! Yeah, right! That is a very insidious
      cult group whose main doctrine is to make girls/women into sex slaves.
      Which is another point about man-made religions: men generally use
      church doctrine to manipulate and control women. Why do women fall this?

      Yes, I know there are many female RESAs in eckankar--but that is really
      just like putting women in the kitchen to cook while the men are
      watching the Super Bowl! The RESAs are doing Klemp's work and
      cleaning up after him! Other than Joan, the H.I. eck women without a
      doubt have hit the glass ceiling! To be greater, they have to come
      back to this life--but need to choose a male body next time! LOL!