The Telephone Game

  • jivatmananda
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 28, 2008
      > Is this why ancient history is in such shambles? And
      > comes in countless versions? Because it's easier to go
      > and copy something already existing than it is to discover
      > the actual truth about history for oneself? Is this why so
      > many people boo-hoo recorded history as worthy of study,
      > but gravitate to legend, mystery and myth instead? The
      > latter is truth mixed with untruth, which is easier to write?

      Do you remember playing the telephone game when you were a child?
      The game works like this. You get a group of people in line, one
      person at one end whispers a sentence and from that pint the message
      is whispered down the line. The hilarity ensues when last person
      states the message and it turns out is completely different from
      what the person said. The telephone game shows information gets
      changes through multiple parties.

      I guess all these legends evolved the same way. Maybe there was an
      element of truth in these stories about Atlantis, but it got so
      diluted that these legends no longer have any historical value.
      It's no better than tales such as Cindarella or Snow White and the
      Seven Dwarfs.

      All these Kali Yuga tales originate from the Indian mythology and
      Eckankar didn't invent anything. It was just another player in a long
      telephone game.

      All established religions followed pretty much the same pattern
      since the beginning of recorded history, so there is definitely not
      anything new under the Sun. The Roman Empire borrowed the Greek
      mythology while merely renaming the divinities. The Christian
      religion borrowed symbols and beliefs from pagan religions.

      I guess the same game will continue in the next centuries and
      millenia.

      Jivatmananda
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 28, 2008
        It's true that PT and HK borrowed much of this
        myth from other religions. This is one thing that
        attracts other New Age types to Eckankar. Atlantis
        and Lemuria (Mu), etc. are myths that Eckankar
        believes in and shares with other New Agers, etc.

        The Yugas and Wheel of 84, etc. is more myth
        that Eckankar shares with other religions.

        It goes on and on of course! Copyrighted names
        and tweaked Leaps of Faith are the only things
        original to Eckankar. All religions are, basically,
        similar.

        Prometheus

        etznab@... wrote:

        [snip]

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 28, 2008
          Hi jivatmanada,
          Welcome to the group! I thought I'd bring your
          original post back up to the front page.

          It is interesting. When one compares Twitchell's
          and Gross' charisma and leadership qualities to
          that of Klemp... there is a gulf as large as the
          Grand Canyon! Klemp has no outflow because
          he has no inflow! HK squeezed in through the
          cracks in the foundation of the house that Twit
          built. Klemp has said and done nothing to enlighten
          even himself regarding TRUTH. Therefore, HK is
          unqualified to lead anyone, except, those who
          share his lower (Astral) level of consciousness!

          Prometheus

          jivatmananda wrote:

> [...]
          > disprove them. They don't (usually) involve contradictions such as 2
          > + 2 = 5. You may believe that God created the world in seven days
          > and you may also believe in the resurrection of the flesh at the
          > last trumpet. There are no ways to disprove such beliefs that make
          > Christians feel good. You may therefore embrace them without
          > compromising your sanity.
          >
          > Some people refer to these blind beliefs as the opium of the people.
          > I would then say that Eckankar is more like the crack drug as it
          > involves a serious distortion of logical thinking.
          >
          > You might think that Eckankar managers totally discards logic and
          > reason, but they have quite a different perspective when they own
          > interests are involved. For example, they will jealously protect
          > their trademarks and copyrighted material. If you don't believe me,
          > you may plagiarize Harry and tell him that you got it from the
          > astral library. Do you really think he will accept your explanation?
          > I bet his lawyers will stick to down-to-earth legal considerations
          > while they sue you for plagiarism.
          >
          > The truth is that Eckankar sticks to logic and reason when it's time
          > to protect their own interests.
          >
          > As I explained my point to some Eckists, they didn't even want to
          > start a logical discussion. They told me that I was lacking respect
          > toward Eckankar and also toward religion at large. They forgot how
          > Harry was once making fun of the Christian belief in the
          > resurrection of the flesh. I remember how he was pausing between
          > each sarcastic sentence, allowing plenty of time for people to laugh
          > heartily.
          >
          > I don't know if there were Christian guests in the audience, but
          > they would have been deeply offended. In fact, there were possibly
          > Christians among the couple of security guards and hotel employees
          > working in the large meeting room, but it never stopped Harry.
          >
          > I have a spiritual exercise to suggest you. Visualize yourself at
          > this talk Harry gave in the eighties in a major hotel. Imagine
          > yourself hearing his voice as he makes fun of Christian beliefs. See
          > a security guard standing besides a pillar. See hotels employees
          > bringing water pitches on tables besides the wall. After a few
          > moments, mentally ask yourself Harry's favorites questions: "Is it
          > true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?" Just let the answer come from
          > the bottom of your heart. Then tell yourself out loud what came from
          > your inner self and write it down on a piece of paper.
          >
          > I must confess that I, too, was laughing when Harry made fun of
          > Christians, but I'm not the kind of saint he pretends to be. I
          > sometimes criticize people and make fun of them, but unlike Harry, I
          > fully assume my critical attitude. So there is absolutely no need to
          > call me "Sri" Jivatmananda although I may propose similar spiritual
          > exercises in the future. :D
          >
          > Jivatmananda
          >
          > P.S. Don't forget to do your new spiritual exercise. ;)

        • jivatmananda
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 28, 2008
            Hi Prometheus,

            Thanks for your kind welcome!

            Klemp actually lives in a protected bubble where everyone say "Yes
            Sir!" to him. No one could contradict him on a major issue and not
            get fired (and possible excommunicated).

            Even the most sane and enlightened person on Earth couldn't keep
            his/her sanity and sense of discrimination after spending more than
            25 years in that protective bubble. It may be one of the reasons why
            a US president must leave after 8 years.

            Now imagine what would happen to someone who had previously
            experienced mental health problems. I guess you understand what I
            means...

            Jivatmananda

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 28, 2008
              Hello, Jivat, Etznab and All!

              First, Jivat (hope you don't mind I've shortened your name), welcome
              to ESA. I've enjoyed your posts. And Etznab, nice that you share so
              much of your research and thoughts here. : )

              I guess one could say there is nothing new under the sun in
              regards to religions, the old and the "new!" The interesting thing
              that we need to remember is that for a con to work or for a leader
              to gain a following, truth and fiction have to be mixed. Many
              people will look for truth to validate what is being sold. The
              mistake is believing that finding a kernal of truth in a religious
              teaching makes it valid or truthful in all portions of it. Or that
              the obvious duplicity is okay because that one kernal of truth
              is more important than all the lies. This IMO is flawed rationale!

              I think the best thing to happen to eckankar is Harold Klemp. He
              is such a ridiculous head of church that Saturday Night Live could
              create some good skits, or even better, just imagine what Steven
              Cobert would do with this self-proclaimed godman, "the highest
              consciousness known to mankind" delusional fool! LOL! It sure is
              fun to poke fun at him, isn't it? And doesn't Klemp make eckankar
              look dumb and silly??

              Anyway, why do we need religion? Why do we cluster in groups
              trying to find a stairway to heaven? I suppose much of it has to
              do with the fear of the unknown and the safety in numbers. For
              the con men like Klemp, there is the need to be important and the
              need to control other people and to feed off their money and
              devotion.

              I'm reading an interesting book called "Under the Banner of Heaven"
              by Jon Krakauer. It is about the extreme religious beliefs of fundamental
              Mormons and how it has evolved to present day. I probably shouldn't
              use the word "evolve" because evolution really speaks of advancement
              through the ages. Fundamentalism stays in the dark ages and refuses
              to grow and improve beyond growing in membership.

              I'm waiting for Klemp's next book--I so enjoyed reading "Those
              Wonderful ECK Masters," published in 2005. Seems that Klemp is
              slow writing these days--is he lazy or befuddled as to how to
              continue his lies and schemes?? I'm sure he is still wanting to put
              Joan up there as Co-L.E.M. I'd almost bet he's hell bent on doing so
              because he has to prove that he can do it and not be thwarted by
              critical thinking individuals who can see through his cons! LOL!

              With eckankar under Klemp the con has evolved while individual
              spirituality has stagnated! Too bad, so sad! : )

              Mish

              --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "jivatmananda"
              <jivatmananda@...> wrote:

              > > Is this why ancient history is in such shambles? And
              > > comes in countless versions? Because it's easier to go
              > > and copy something already existing than it is to discover
              > > the actual truth about history for oneself? Is this why so
              > > many people boo-hoo recorded history as worthy of study,
              > > but gravitate to legend, mystery and myth instead? The
              > > latter is truth mixed with untruth, which is easier to write?
              >
              > Do you remember playing the telephone game when you were a child?
              > The game works like this. You get a group of people in line, one
              > person at one end whispers a sentence and from that pint the message
              > is whispered down the line. The hilarity ensues when last person
              > states the message and it turns out is completely different from
              > what the person said. The telephone game shows information gets
              > changes through multiple parties.
              >
              > I guess all these legends evolved the same way. Maybe there was an
              > element of truth in these stories about Atlantis, but it got so
              > diluted that these legends no longer have any historical value.
              > It's no better than tales such as Cindarella or Snow White and the
              > Seven Dwarfs.
              >
              > All these Kali Yuga tales originate from the Indian mythology and
              > Eckankar didn't invent anything. It was just another player in a long
              > telephone game.
              >
              > All established religions followed pretty much the same pattern
              > since the beginning of recorded history, so there is definitely not
              > anything new under the Sun. The Roman Empire borrowed the Greek
              > mythology while merely renaming the divinities. The Christian
              > religion borrowed symbols and beliefs from pagan religions.
              >
              > I guess the same game will continue in the next centuries and
              > millenia.
              >
              > Jivatmananda

            • jivatmananda
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                Hello Mish,

                I agree that kernals of truth are not enough to make a religious
                teaching valid. Last night, I was contemplating upon the main
                ingredients of most religions:

                1. Borrowed elements from other religions.
                2. Inner experiences of the founders/leaders.
                3. Punishment and/or exclusion of people with inner experiences or
                opinions that contradict those of the founders/leaders.

                The punishment or exclusion may include blame, social disapproval,
                several forms of harassment, excommunication or even burning
                heretics at the stake (as it happened in the Middle Ages).

                There is of course the business side, but I'm currently focusing
                upon those elements that are specific to religion. I'm not denying
                that religion is also about control and money.

                By the way, I think that kernels of truth can be found both in the
                inner experiences of the founders/leaders, borrowed elements from
                other religions, and the inner experiences of those who disagree
                with the founders/leaders.

                Jivatmananda

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                  I would, also, say that each early government/
                  country of the world encouraged a certain religious
                  thought (religion) as a means to control the populace.
                  Religions are still used today, by religious leaders,
                  governments, and politicians to placate people and
                  to distract them and to give them hope while they
                  are led down a primrose lane of delusion and, even,
                  sometimes to their destruction by these same self-
                  centered power brokers.

                  Many religions first began with non-scientific
                  explanations for the cosmos. There was Ra the
                  Sun God, and Zeus (or was it Apollo?) driving a
                  Golden Chariot across the sky. Everything about
                  life and nature was explained away with a little
                  help from real, distorted, and imagined observation.
                  People's lives in the past and today become fragmented
                  and fractioned as they try to pursue opportunities
                  in creative innovation in every sphere of human action.

                  The Mosaic conception of God was particularly relevant
                  to twentieth century need. First, the Abrahamic "old man
                  in the sky" is quite unbelievable in this scientific age.
                  He is a "theistic" God, being "out there" in space, a God
                  who "has a world." The Mosaic God without finite form
                  is everywhere present. This is "panentheism." It means
                  God is in (en) everything, and everything which exists
                  is "in" God. Therefore, the divine center of meaning
                  is to be found within. The God within must be a kind
                  of World Spirit which wears the universe as its body.

                  Tillich argued that God was not the Creator of the
                  universe, because that implied that creation was an
                  activity confined to some remote time in the past,
                  but that God was creativity, implying that the creating
                  goes on in every present moment and that God is in
                  every innovative moment in human endeavor.

                  Anyway, students of religion, of history, and of man
                  can see where and how religion has progressed and
                  increased its hold on people and has changed throughout
                  world history. Religion can be a complicated topic with
                  one's personal beliefs and experiences mixed in with
                  those of others. Religion includes myth, superstition,
                  tradition and a hodge-podge of other things according
                  to culture.

                  The bottom line is that each of us should have our own
                  personal and private religion and be that religion's leader!
                  The group and mob mentality to conform (group think)
                  and directed by "leaders" is not a path to freedom. Religious
                  hierarchies have the same purpose as the non-secular
                  political hierarchies they were modeled after. It's to control!

                  Prometheus

                  jivatmananda wrote:

> [...]
                  > > use the word "evolve" because evolution really speaks of
                  > advancement
                  > > through the ages. Fundamentalism stays in the dark ages and refuses
                  > > to grow and improve beyond growing in membership.
                  > >
                  > > I'm waiting for Klemp's next book--I so enjoyed reading "Those
                  > > Wonderful ECK Masters," published in 2005. Seems that Klemp is
                  > > slow writing these days--is he lazy or befuddled as to how to
                  > > continue his lies and schemes?? I'm sure he is still wanting to put
                  > > Joan up there as Co-L.E.M. I'd almost bet he's hell bent on doing
                  > so
                  > > because he has to prove that he can do it and not be thwarted by
                  > > critical thinking individuals who can see through his cons! LOL!
                  > >
                  > > With eckankar under Klemp the con has evolved while individual
                  > > spirituality has stagnated! Too bad, so sad! : )

                • Elizabeth
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008

                    Anyway, students of religion, of history, and of man
                    can see where and how religion has progressed and
                    increased its hold on people and has changed throughout
                    world history. Religion can be a complicated topic with
                    one's personal beliefs and experiences mixed in with
                    those of others. Religion includes myth, superstition,
                    tradition and a hodge-podge of other things according
                    to culture.

                    The bottom line is that each of us should have our own
                    personal and private religion and be that religion's leader!
                    The group and mob mentality to conform (group think)
                    and directed by "leaders" is not a path to freedom. Religious
                    hierarchies have the same purpose as the non-secular
                    political hierarchies they were modeled after. It's to control!

                    ..... One of my siblings took a "History Of Religions" class in college a couple years ago.  This was when she actually did some back ground research on eckankar.  For those of you not familiar with our family history as eck members;   I was a member of eckankar from the age of 12.   Spent a little over 30 yrs. as a member.  Our entire family joined late 1971, to include grandparents, parents and my 3 siblings and myself.  I used to boast about coming from a four generation family of eckists....   (rolling my eyes!)

                    I left the teachings almost 5 yrs ago, but it took my sister longer to find her way out.  The class she took, as well as her instructor, pushed her to research eckankar not only from a members perspective, but with a neutral look into it's history.  When she started looking for info on the net, that was when she actually realized there was more to my leaving the path and being disowned by my entire family because of it, than she understood.  I was the black sheep of the family and was warned not to communicate with me or listen to anything I had to say!    What was more upsetting to them the most was the fact that they always thought of me as the one more DEVOTED and unlikely to leave in the first place!  So for me to leave, rocked them to their core, as it did many eck members in my local area and on the Internet / eck chat groups.

                    I completely agree with Prometheus!  The bottom line is,  I am my own personal and private religion and leader.... I need no middle man to have connection and experiences with spirit!  No one needs to guide me, save me, or take me to the next level of the god worlds.  No one is higher, better or more spiritual than the next guy!

                    I'm really enjoying the current conversations taking place here.  And of course Etznab you impress me with each new topic you bring to the group.

                    Liz
                  • jivatmananda
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                      I agree with Prometheus who wrote that all religions first began with
                      non-scientific explanations for the cosmos. You mentioned Ra the Sun
                      God (or Apollo). People saw the Sun as a higher power and they tried
                      to establish a relationship with it. The same thing happened with
                      natural phenomenas such as the rain or the wind.

                      With the passing millenia, societies grew more sophisticated and so
                      did religions. Yet they are the same primitive attempts to come up
                      with explanations for the cosmos. I'm not saying there are no
                      "higher" or "invisible" forces at work. I'm just saying that we don't
                      need religions nor middle men to deal with them.

                      Jivat

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008

                           Great point about the telephone game, Jivatmananda.

                           IMO, it's generally the people in power who's versions
                        of history take center stage. Kinda like how money and
                        politics today "own" most of the major media.

                           The truth is out there, IMO. It might not be as popular
                        as the "party" line though.

                        Etznab

                        **************
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                          In a message dated 4/28/08 11:42:00 PM Central Daylight Time, mishmisha9@... writes:

                          The
                          mistake is believing that finding a kernal of truth in a religious
                          teaching makes it valid or truthful in all portions of it. Or that
                          the obvious duplicity is okay because that one kernal of truth
                          is more important than all the lies. This IMO is flawed rationale!

                             Good point Mish.

                          Etznab

                          **************
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                            In a message dated 4/29/08 11:40:16 AM Central Daylight Time, prometheus_973@... writes:

                            The bottom line is that each of us should have our own
                            personal and private religion and be that religion's leader!
                            The group and mob mentality to conform (group think)
                            and directed by "leaders" is not a path to freedom. Religious
                            hierarchies have the same purpose as the non-secular
                            political hierarchies they were modeled after. It's to control!

                               Bravo :) :) :)

                            Etznab

                            **************
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                              Liz,

                                 Grateful for the history and experience you share. Some of
                              the best people that I have ever known have left the Eckankar
                              organization. I still think of them as some of the best people I
                              know.

                              Etznab

                              **************
                            • jivatmananda
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 29, 2008
                                Etznab, you just need to look at Eckankar to see how right you are.
                                They almost deleted 10 years of their short history and rewrote what
                                they didn't delete from that period of time.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 30, 2008
                                  Liz wrote:
                                  "One of my siblings took a "History Of Religions" class in college
                                  a couple years ago. This was when she actually did some back
                                  ground research on eckankar. (snip)

                                  I left the teachings almost 5 yrs ago, but it took my sister longer
                                  to find her way out. The class she took, as well as her instructor,
                                  pushed her to research eckankar not only from a members
                                  perspective, but with a neutral look into it's history. When she
                                  started looking for info on the net, that was when she actually
                                  realized there was more to my leaving the path and being disowned
                                  by my entire family because of it, than she understood."

                                  Liz,
                                  This is a good point about studying the history of any religion. It
                                  requires a neutral look in order to understand. Several months ago I posted
                                  about the enjoyable interviews that Bill Moyers did on his PBS program discussing
                                  Faith and Reason with individuals of varying views on religion. It was a really good
                                  program because it highlighted how and why there is so much conflict between
                                  religious believers and critical thinkers. The biggest flaw with religion is
                                  that those who are the leaders of a religious group require the obedience of
                                  non-thinking. Religions for the most part depend on faith--hence, so many
                                  prayers are sent out. But for the most part followers are being preyed upon!

                                  Another point is that it seems sinful to criticize a religion for its practices.
                                  For that reason few seem concerned enough to truly protect the little
                                  children (young girls) who were removed from that fundamentalist cult in Texas.
                                  Some professionals believe returning them to their families is in the children's
                                  best interest, along with some educating! Yeah, right! That is a very insidious
                                  cult group whose main doctrine is to make girls/women into sex slaves.
                                  Which is another point about man-made religions: men generally use
                                  church doctrine to manipulate and control women. Why do women fall this?

                                  Yes, I know there are many female RESAs in eckankar--but that is really
                                  just like putting women in the kitchen to cook while the men are
                                  watching the Super Bowl! The RESAs are doing Klemp's work and
                                  cleaning up after him! Other than Joan, the H.I. eck women without a
                                  doubt have hit the glass ceiling! To be greater, they have to come
                                  back to this life--but need to choose a male body next time! LOL!