Who Is Barack Obama?

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
      I received an email this morning regarding Barack
      Obama's religious upbringing and beliefs that in part
      sites that he was raised with radical muslim teachings.
      The article even states that Snopes.com has confirmed
      that these disparaging comments are fact! And I was
      asked to forward the article to all my friends. But I
      decided instead to check it out on Snopes myself and
      discovered that it is Urban Legend.

      I am not a supporter of Obama. In fact, I don't like any
      of the remaining presidential candidates so I'm in a great
      dilemma as to who I might vote for in the Fall.

      However, reading Snopes. com on Who Is Barack Obama,
      I did find Obama's statement about how his mother taught
      him about religion quite interesting and relevant to what we
      often comment on this site! So here's Obama's comments about
      his early religious teachings via his mother:

      "Of his mother's religious views, Senator Obama wrote:
      For my mother, organized religion too often dressed up
      closed-mindedness in the garb of piety, cruelty and oppression
      in the cloak of righteousness.

      This isn't to say that she provided me with no religious
      instruction. In her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great
      religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In
      our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on
      the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology.
      On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just
      as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the chinese New Year
      celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites. But I
      was made to understand that such religious samplings required no
      sustained commitment on my part. Religion was an expression of
      human culture, she would explain, not its wellspring, just one of the
      many ways — and not necessarily the best way — that man
      attempted to control the unknowable and understand the deeper truths
      about our lives.

      In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the
      anthropologist she would become; it was a phenomenon to be treated
      with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well."
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
        Hi Mish and All,
        Eckankar and all religions fit the same
        mold with what Barack's mother taught
        him. One just has to use common sense
        and critical thinking to get beyond the
        forever changing religious dogma and
        rules along with the promises that the
        religious leaders always make. In EK, as
        it is with all religions, it's about the money,
        the time (service) and the loss of freedom
        (surrender) to think for one's Self that they
        demand for reward.

        Prometheus

        Please read this again-

        mish wrote:

        > I received an email this morning regarding Barack
        > Obama's religious upbringing and beliefs that in part
        > sites that he was raised with radical muslim teachings.
        > The article even states that Snopes.com has confirmed
        > that these disparaging comments are fact! And I was
        > asked to forward the article to all my friends. But I
        > decided instead to check it out on Snopes myself and
        > discovered that it is Urban Legend.
        >
        > I am not a supporter of Obama. In fact, I don't like any
        > of the remaining presidential candidates so I'm in a great
        > dilemma as to who I might vote for in the Fall.
        >
        > However, reading Snopes. com on Who Is Barack Obama,
        > I did find Obama's statement about how his mother taught
        > him about religion quite interesting and relevant to what we
        > often comment on this site! So here's Obama's comments about
        > his early religious teachings via his mother:
        >
        > "Of his mother's religious views, Senator Obama wrote:
        > For my mother, organized religion too often dressed up
        > closed-mindedness in the garb of piety, cruelty and oppression
        > in the cloak of righteousness.
        >
        > This isn't to say that she provided me with no religious
        > instruction. In her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great
        > religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In
        > our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on
        > the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology.
        > On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just
        > as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the chinese New Year
        > celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites. But I
        > was made to understand that such religious samplings required no
        > sustained commitment on my part. Religion was an expression of
        > human culture, she would explain, not its wellspring, just one of the
        > many ways — and not necessarily the best way — that man
        > attempted to control the unknowable and understand the deeper truths
        > about our lives.
        >
        > In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the
        > anthropologist she would become; it was a phenomenon to be treated
        > with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well."

      • Non ekster
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
          From what I know, while in Kenya as a very young child there may have
          been some Muslim influence, but he was raised mostly secular or as
          described below. He now considers himself christian, probably because
          he was married in his wife's church.

          Personally, I am more for Hillary. When she talks during a debate, she
          seems to make more sense and has more specifics, while Barack tends to
          go off on generalities and I find my mind wandering and waiting for
          him to make his point. I think he is more of an image maker and his
          main appeal is that he claims to be able to better inspire the Nation
          for change. I want universal health care and to stop all this warring.
          but I think Hillary is so intelligent and creative and driven. I would
          probably vote for either one. Bush types can get lost for good, as far
          as I'm concerned.

          nonekster ; )

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
            I'm not supporting Obama and don't plan to vote for him. I can support
            Hillary better, but the choices are just not there--good ones IMO! And
            I agree with your analysis of Obama, but I did like his comments about
            religion--found that very refreshing because most candidates feel they
            "must" project a certain religious (Christian really) piety in order to be
            elected to any political office! Isn't it a joke when you see football teams
            for instance huddled before the game, each praying that "God" let them
            win . . . as though God really cares about football and will decide the
            outcome of a game! It's really nutty! Politicians, though, use the "God"
            is behind us theme in order to push through their agenda, and heaven
            forbid if any of us dare challenge . . . "God?" LOL!

            Just my 2 cents worth on Saturday morning! Hope you all have a good
            weekend even if it's a cold snowy day! : )

            Mish

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Non ekster"