Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2008
      Hey Mish was this posted three times?  I got the same email in my inbox?  Just wondering if it my email server or you have a computer virus?

      Isn't it interesting how others that are not ex eckies view these wackjob eckists following the mahanta!

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2008
        Hi, Liz and All!

        Sorry for the confusion--I edited it twice because the paragraphs were
        messed up a bit and then I wanted to add the source/writer's name--so
        yes, I sent it all three times deleting the previous 2. My apologies for that.

        I thought it was interesting to know where Joan was just before she
        joined up with eckankar in California, and Skip Eisiminger does give
        a reality viewpoint of how others see eckists and eckankar! As for
        the devotion of Joan's first husband to her--well, I'm sure she has her
        story as well, and as an outsider looking in it can be deceiving, perhaps?
        But it sounds like Joan's first husband was surprised by her sudden bolt!

        My guess is that many people look for God in all the wrong places because
        they feel a great void in their lives--they are not satisfied with who they are
        or where they're at, and joining a cult like eckankar is somewhat of an
        easy route--letting some self-proclaimed godman boss and guide almost
        all, if not all, aspects of your life (depending on how deep the delusion is!).

        It is interesting, though, that Joan was in an academic arena where critical
        thinking is stressed, but yet she let it all fly out the window when she took
        off for California and her imaginary heights! LOL!

        Now it would be quite intriguing to know how expedited her rise in the org
        was under the leadership of Darwin Gross--wouldn't it? : )

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <ewickings@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2008
          Hi Mish and All,
          It looks as though JOAN's job of being the editor
          of the ECKANKAR JOURNAL, at the ESC, put her in
          close touch with one chela (HK) doing the printing
          of text and photos for that little known pub.

          It seems that both Harold and Joan knew how to
          play the game and position themselves on the
          ground floor of the Eckankar pyramid scheme
          (hierarchy) for promotion.

          Yet, after all of these years they've only become
          more and more deluded with their quirky religion
          and in playing the (imaginary) game of "as if" better
          than anyone else in the org.

          For them the ego of self is immersed with having
          others to need, respect, fear, love, and admire them.
          HK and JK need people to believe in them with a
          'LEAP of FAITH,' and to donate their hard earned
          time and money (service) in order to buy and secure
          unattainable promises except via the imagination.
          The multi-level EK initiation scam is the method
          by which they keep people attached and hanging on.
          Klemp uses the Catch-22 method to explain away
          his, and Twitchell's, contradictions and mistakes
          as well as other flaws in the EK Religious Dogma.

          EXAMPLE: Everything presented to you is from a different
          "level of consciousness" and fits the moment or topic and,
          therefore, does not necessarily apply to what has been stated
          before. This is an example of a paradox because God (Sugmad)
          cannot ever be fully understood. This is, also, why the chela
          (Soul) must trust in and needs the Mahanta to explain these
          ancient Truths and lessons and to guide and protect them
          on their journey Home. SEE! This is the way the B.S. works!
          You just have to be needy, lonely, fearful, a misfit, etc. and
          believe in it strong enough and the mind will do the rest!

          More Later...

          Prometheus

          mish wrote:

          "Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar"
          is how one former friend of Joan Cross described
          how she left her husband at Clemson University
          for the teachings of eckankar.

          Click on the link below for the complete essay,
          but I have copied the portion that mentions the
          writer's friends Robert and Joan Cross and Joan's
          sudden bolt from her husband to join the eckankar
          cult in California in the late 1970s.

          BTW, the writer is Sterling "Skip" Eisiminger,
          a professor emeritus of English and Humanities
          at Clemson University, teaching there since 1968.

          http://www.clemson.edu/caah/cedp/FAcademicus/061-067_religious_life.pdf

          and the excerpt:

          HONK IF YOU LOVE VOLTAIRE: A RELIGIOUS LIFE

          [#66]. . . I wouldn't call cults a main dish on the
          church picnic table, but I did pick at one dish when
          a friend disappeared into the black hole of Eckankar.

          When I came to Clemson, I was assigned to Professor
          Bob Cross for mentoring. Bob and I hit it off from the
          start, but what fascinated me most about Bob was the
          relationship he had with his wife. The two were inseparable.

          Fortunately, there were no children, for a Cross child
          would have found the competition stiff for parental love.
          At work, they asked for and received one office with facing
          desks.

          At home, they read science fiction and took long walks
          together with their poodle.

          Perhaps I missed the warning signs, but Bob missed
          them as well, for we were both stunned when Joan
          announced, "Earth is the hell for all planets circling
          Alpha Centauri."

          She, for one, was moving to California to have her
          astral shoes "resouled" as the new editor of the Eckankar
          Journal. In her spare time, she and her fellow Eckankar
          disciples planned to travel to various planes of the Sugmad
          and serve their Eck master.

          In 1997, some twenty years later when I read of the
          thirty-nine Heaven's Gate suicides, I scanned the list
          of the deceased fully expecting to find Joan's name
          among those tailing the Hale-Bopp comet.

          Fortunately, Joan's name was not among the missing.
          About the only cult that impresses me now is the
          Frisbeeterian, not to be confused with the Presleyterian,
          which is interesting to me only in an academic, pop culture
          sort of way.

          The former faction believes that when someone dies,
          the soul goes up on a roof, and no one can retrieve it.

          It makes as much sense as leaving a devoted husband
          for the unexplored Sugmad. . . .

          (Joan later became HK's 2nd wife after he dumped Marge, his 1st.)
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2008
            Read below and check these comments out
            (again) by a former friend of Joan "Cross" Klemp.

            Prometheus

            PLEASE READ THE BELOW COMMENTS

            mish wrote:

            "Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar"
            is how one former friend of Joan Cross described
            how she left her husband at Clemson University
            for the teachings of eckankar.

            Click on the link below for the complete essay,
            but I have copied the portion that mentions the
            writer's friends Robert and Joan Cross and Joan's
            sudden bolt from her husband to join the eckankar
            cult in California in the late 1970s.

            BTW, the writer is Sterling "Skip" Eisiminger,
            a professor emeritus of English and Humanities
            at Clemson University, teaching there since 1968.

            http://www.clemson.edu/caah/cedp/FAcademicus/061-067_religious_life.pdf

            and the excerpt [#66]: