Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2008
      "Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar" is how one former friend
      of Joan Cross described how she left her husband at Clemson University
      for the teachings of eckankar.

      Click on the link below for the complete essay, but I have copied the
      portion that mentions the writer's friends Robert and Joan Cross and
      Joan's sudden bolt from her husband to join the eckankar cult in
      California in the late 1970s.

      BTW, the writer is Sterling "Skip" Eisiminger, a professor emeritus of
      English and Humanities at Clemson University, teaching there since
      1968.

      http://www.clemson.edu/caah/cedp/FAcademicus/061-067_religious_life.pdf

      and the excerpt:

      HONK IF YOU LOVE VOLTAIRE: A RELIGIOUS LIFE

      . . . I wouldn't call cults a main dish on the church picnic table, but I did
      pick at one dish when a friend disappeared into the black hole of Eckankar.
      When I came to Clemson, I was assigned to Professor Bob Cross for mentoring.
      Bob and I hit it off from the start, but what fascinated me most about Bob was
      the relationship he had with his wife. The two were inseparable. Fortunately,
      there were no children, for a Cross child would have found the competition stiff
      for parental love. At work, they asked for and received one office with facing
      desks. At home, they read science fiction and took long walks together with
      their poodle. Perhaps I missed the warning signs, but Bob missed them as
      well, for we were both stunned when Joan announced, "Earth is the hell for all
      planets circling Alpha Centauri." She, for one, was moving to California to have
      her astral shoes "resouled" as the new editor of the Eckankar Journal. In her
      spare time, she and her fellow Eckankar disciples planned to travel to various
      planes of the Sugmad and serve their Eck master.

      In 1997, some twenty years later when I read of the thirty-nine Heaven's Gate
      suicides, I scanned the list of the deceased fully expecting to find Joan's name
      among those tailing the Hale-Bopp comet. Fortunately, Joan's name was not
      among the missing. About the only cult that impresses me now is the
      Frisbeeterian, not to be confused with the Presleyterian, which is interesting
      to me only in an academic, pop culture sort of way. The former faction believes
      that when someone dies, the soul goes up on a roof, and no one can retrieve it.
      It makes as much sense as leaving a devoted husband for the unexplored
      Sugmad. . . .

      (Joan later became HK's 2nd wife after he dumped Marge, his 1st.)
    • Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2008
        Hey Mish was this posted three times?  I got the same email in my inbox?  Just wondering if it my email server or you have a computer virus?

        Isn't it interesting how others that are not ex eckies view these wackjob eckists following the mahanta!

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2008
          Hi, Liz and All!

          Sorry for the confusion--I edited it twice because the paragraphs were
          messed up a bit and then I wanted to add the source/writer's name--so
          yes, I sent it all three times deleting the previous 2. My apologies for that.

          I thought it was interesting to know where Joan was just before she
          joined up with eckankar in California, and Skip Eisiminger does give
          a reality viewpoint of how others see eckists and eckankar! As for
          the devotion of Joan's first husband to her--well, I'm sure she has her
          story as well, and as an outsider looking in it can be deceiving, perhaps?
          But it sounds like Joan's first husband was surprised by her sudden bolt!

          My guess is that many people look for God in all the wrong places because
          they feel a great void in their lives--they are not satisfied with who they are
          or where they're at, and joining a cult like eckankar is somewhat of an
          easy route--letting some self-proclaimed godman boss and guide almost
          all, if not all, aspects of your life (depending on how deep the delusion is!).

          It is interesting, though, that Joan was in an academic arena where critical
          thinking is stressed, but yet she let it all fly out the window when she took
          off for California and her imaginary heights! LOL!

          Now it would be quite intriguing to know how expedited her rise in the org
          was under the leadership of Darwin Gross--wouldn't it? : )

          Mish

          --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <ewickings@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2008
            Hi Mish and All,
            It looks as though JOAN's job of being the editor
            of the ECKANKAR JOURNAL, at the ESC, put her in
            close touch with one chela (HK) doing the printing
            of text and photos for that little known pub.

            It seems that both Harold and Joan knew how to
            play the game and position themselves on the
            ground floor of the Eckankar pyramid scheme
            (hierarchy) for promotion.

            Yet, after all of these years they've only become
            more and more deluded with their quirky religion
            and in playing the (imaginary) game of "as if" better
            than anyone else in the org.

            For them the ego of self is immersed with having
            others to need, respect, fear, love, and admire them.
            HK and JK need people to believe in them with a
            'LEAP of FAITH,' and to donate their hard earned
            time and money (service) in order to buy and secure
            unattainable promises except via the imagination.
            The multi-level EK initiation scam is the method
            by which they keep people attached and hanging on.
            Klemp uses the Catch-22 method to explain away
            his, and Twitchell's, contradictions and mistakes
            as well as other flaws in the EK Religious Dogma.

            EXAMPLE: Everything presented to you is from a different
            "level of consciousness" and fits the moment or topic and,
            therefore, does not necessarily apply to what has been stated
            before. This is an example of a paradox because God (Sugmad)
            cannot ever be fully understood. This is, also, why the chela
            (Soul) must trust in and needs the Mahanta to explain these
            ancient Truths and lessons and to guide and protect them
            on their journey Home. SEE! This is the way the B.S. works!
            You just have to be needy, lonely, fearful, a misfit, etc. and
            believe in it strong enough and the mind will do the rest!

            More Later...

            Prometheus

            mish wrote:

            "Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar"
            is how one former friend of Joan Cross described
            how she left her husband at Clemson University
            for the teachings of eckankar.

            Click on the link below for the complete essay,
            but I have copied the portion that mentions the
            writer's friends Robert and Joan Cross and Joan's
            sudden bolt from her husband to join the eckankar
            cult in California in the late 1970s.

            BTW, the writer is Sterling "Skip" Eisiminger,
            a professor emeritus of English and Humanities
            at Clemson University, teaching there since 1968.

            http://www.clemson.edu/caah/cedp/FAcademicus/061-067_religious_life.pdf

            and the excerpt:

            HONK IF YOU LOVE VOLTAIRE: A RELIGIOUS LIFE

            [#66]. . . I wouldn't call cults a main dish on the

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2008
              Read below and check these comments out
              (again) by a former friend of Joan "Cross" Klemp.

              Prometheus

              PLEASE READ THE BELOW COMMENTS

              mish wrote:

              "Disappearing into the black hole of Eckankar"
              is how one former friend of Joan Cross described
              how she left her husband at Clemson University
              for the teachings of eckankar.

              Click on the link below for the complete essay,
              but I have copied the portion that mentions the
              writer's friends Robert and Joan Cross and Joan's
              sudden bolt from her husband to join the eckankar
              cult in California in the late 1970s.

              BTW, the writer is Sterling "Skip" Eisiminger,
              a professor emeritus of English and Humanities
              at Clemson University, teaching there since 1968.

              http://www.clemson.edu/caah/cedp/FAcademicus/061-067_religious_life.pdf

              and the excerpt [#66]: