Re: Joan Goes To Men's Restroom-HK Goes To The Women's?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
      "Practical Skepticism is Based on Common Sense"
      [David Hume]. Shouldn't ECKists take a Common
      Sense approach to what they read, see, and hear
      coming from their "ECK" Leaders and Mahanta?!

      From Wikipedia:

      Formal logic, as most people learn it, is deductive
      rather than inductive. Some philosophers claim to
      have created systems of inductive logic, but it is
      controversial whether a logic of induction is even
      possible. In contrast to deductive reasoning, conclusions
      arrived at by inductive reasoning do not necessarily
      have the same degree of certainty as the initial premises.

      For example, a conclusion that all swans are white is
      false, but may have been thought true in Europe until
      the settlement of Australia, when Black Swans were
      discovered. Inductive arguments are never binding
      but they may be cogent. Inductive reasoning is deductively
      invalid. (An argument in formal logic is valid if and only
      if it is not possible for the premises of the argument to
      be true whilst the conclusion is false.) In induction there
      are always many conclusions that can reasonably be related
      to certain premises. Inductions are open; deductions are
      closed.

      It is however possible to derive a true statement
      using inductive reasoning if you know the conclusion.
      The only way to have an efficient argument by induction
      is for the known conclusion to be able to be true only
      if an unstated external conclusion is true, from which
      the initial conclusion was built and has certain criteria
      to be met in order to be true (separate from the stated
      conclusion).

      By substitution of one conclusion for the other, you
      can inductively find out what evidence you need in
      order for your induction to be true. For example,
      you have a window that opens only one way, but
      not the other. Assuming that you know that the only
      way for that to happen is that the hinges are faulty,
      inductively you can postulate that the only way for
      that window to be fixed would be to apply oil (whatever
      will fix the unstated conclusion). From there on you
      can successfully build your case.

      However, if your unstated conclusion is false, which
      can only be proven by deductive reasoning, then your
      whole argument by induction collapses. Thus ultimately,
      pure inductive reasoning does not exist.

      The classic philosophical treatment of the problem
      of induction, meaning the search for a justification
      for inductive reasoning, was by the Scottish philosopher
      David Hume. Hume highlighted the fact that our everyday
      reasoning depends on patterns of repeated experience
      rather than deductively valid arguments. For example,
      we believe that bread will nourish us because it has
      done so in the past, but this is not a guarantee that it
      will always do so.

      As Hume said, someone who insisted on sound
      deductive justifications for everything would starve
      to death.

      Instead of approaching everything with unproductive
      skepticism, Hume advocated a practical skepticism
      based on common sense, where the inevitability of
      induction is accepted.

      Induction is sometimes framed as reasoning about
      the future from the past, but in its broadest sense it
      involves reaching conclusions about unobserved things
      on the basis of what has been observed. Inferences
      about the past from present evidence – for instance,
      as in archaeology, count as induction. Induction could
      also be across space rather than time, for instance as
      in physical cosmology where conclusions about the
      whole universe are drawn from the limited perspective
      we are able to observe (see cosmic variance); or in
      economics, where national economic policy is derived
      from local economic performance.

      Twentieth-century philosophy has approached induction
      very differently. Rather than a choice about what predictions
      to make about the future, induction can be seen as a choice
      of what concepts to fit to observations or of how to graph
      or represent a set of observed data.

      Nelson Goodman posed a "new riddle of induction"
      by inventing the property "grue" to which induction
      does not apply. [end]

      prometheus wrote:

      > Doesn't it seem like there is a Lack of Communication
      > between these two (Harry & Joan), as well as, a problem
      > with bladder control (lower chakra health)! One's a 14th
      > Initiate and the other a 9th Initiate and yet most average
      > couples (non-Eckists) communicate better and are more
      > capable than these two goofs!
      >
      > Can't HK go into the men's restroom with Joan?! Sure! And,
      > where's that "inner (and outer) communication" to Know where
      > Joan is? Where's the Mahanta's "intuition" and "insight" for Harry
      > Not to know the men's room was locked because Joan was in there!
      >
      > Is the Mahanta Consciousness limited to KNOWING these things!
      > It's ridiculous! Klemp is a mini-master scammer! One can see the
      > "proof in the pudding" that ECK Initiations are Bogus! Would this
      > comedy of errors happen to Rebazar? Would Rebazar get "punked"
      > by the KAL? Of course Not!

      [EDIT]