Re: HU-Chat: "The Mahanta Never Gives Us More Than We Can Handle"

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2007
      Hi, Prometheus and All!

      I'm reminded of this poem I read in h.s.--one the class
      read for discussion:

      Edwin Arlington Robinson. 1869–?

      Richard Corey

      WHENEVER Richard Cory went down town,
      We people on the pavement looked at him:
      He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
      Clean favored, and imperially slim.

      And he was always quietly arrayed, 5
      And he was always human when he talked;
      But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
      "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

      And he was rich—yes, richer than a king,
      And admirably schooled in every grace: 10
      In fine, we thought that he was everything
      To make us wish that we were in his place.

      So on we worked, and waited for the light,
      And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
      And Richard Cory, one calm summer night, 15
      Went home and put a bullet through his head.

      Obviously, we cannot know what is in another. In
      this poem, others who thought Richard Cory had
      everything while they had little didn't see the
      conflict within/hidden below the "glittery" surface
      of Richard Cory's appearance. I always thought this
      was interesting, especially in regards of trying to be
      like someone else--perhaps, even in struggling to
      attain god consciousness and spiritual enlightenment.
      The attitude that this earth is the ash can of the universe
      is certainly a negative, so maybe those like the character
      in the poem Richard Cory suffer from insufferable
      depression? I believe that Klemp's negativity breeds
      depression in his followers--EMR disease, fears of
      bad things for the future, the Kal forces, and so forth.
      Even this thing about the Mahanta never gives us more
      than we can handle suggests that life is hard, maybe too
      hard? The fact is we have all kinds of experiences--no one
      has it all perfect. We have to deal with what comes and that
      is what makes it interesting rather than an ash can sort of
      world we revolve and evolve in! : )

      Here's an excerpt from Prometheus' post:

      > "The Mahanta never gives us more than we can handle,"
      > otherwise, it's Karma (our own making) or a Test?!
      >
      > Actually, most people can't "handle" things and that's
      > WHY they take anti-depressants (i.e. drugs) and become
      > "religious." [Eckankar, The Religion of ........... God]
      >
      > Klemp couldn't "handle" it and jumped off a bridge,
      > undressed at an airport, was arrested and put into
      > a Mental Institution!

      Klemp's mental problems coupled possibly with depression
      appears to be the new eckankar that Klemp has created
      since taking the rod of eck power. I don't really think this
      sort of attitude came through with Twitchell's eckankar.

      I think there are eckists who want to go back to the
      Twitchell eckankar, because the negative aspects that
      Klemp teaches is too much! And those poor eckists who
      have struggled with hardships and depression are certainly
      not being helped by these teachings--it is too much for them!

      Klemp's slowing down the initiations has only created more
      hardship for eckists which then can lead to more struggles with
      depression for them. It is too much, some cry! So is Klemp a
      sort of Richard Cory type guy while his chelas watch him glitter
      as he walks on stage--eckists continue to wait for the light (spiritual
      enlightenment) and hunger for the meat (higher initiations) and
      curse the bread (still stuck in lower initiation land)? These chelas
      erroneously blame and fault themselves for this slow progress,
      failing to realize that Klemp is controlling and manipulating them.
      Klemp's words and actions are what actually hold them back.
      Klemp is too much--he gives more (vahana work, distractions, etc) than
      what his chelas should or need to handle. Klemp has created a negative
      illusion and view of the world for them! He is not helpful at all--he is only
      self-serving and is an excellent example of an unbalanced life!