Rod of Eck Power Has Pagan Roots

  • Ed Kusi
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2007
      Paul Twitchell formed the doctrines of Eckankar the way another Paul, of Tarsus, formulated the doctrines of Christianity. Paul of Tarsus used Pagan concepts of Mithraism which were well known to the Gentiles, who were his targets for conversion, to build bridges to Christianity. Concepts like the 'Messiah' or 'Saviour,' transubstantiation of wine and bread into the blood and body of Christ, and the ritual of blood sacrifice of animals and thus Christ as the sacrificial lamb are all adaptations of Pagan concepts.

      Eckankar's Rod of Eck Power is adapted from the Rod of Moses, which in turn is based on an older Pagan legend of the Sun-God, Bacchus. Thus:

      Bacchus had a rod with which he performed miracles, and which he could change into a serpent at pleasure. He passed the Red Sea, dry shod, at the head of his army. By the same mighty wand, he drew water from the rock, and wherever they marched, the land flowed with wine, milk, and honey. (Bible Myths, T.W. Doane, Pg 51)

      From researchers like Prof Lane and Ford Johnson, we see how Paul Twitchell invented the Eck Masters. These beings may or may not exist, and if they do exist, they are not the exclusive property of Eckankar for them to be called 'Eck Masters'.

      Another of the tricks Paul Twitchell used in order to make his movement reflect the deceptive heights he put it was to rope in all known historical figures in many areas of human endeavour and connect them to Eckankar. Paul of Tarsus, Milarepa, Firdusi, Winston Churchill, Christopher Columbus, Rumi, to name but a few. What do these people have in common? They were either Eck Masters, were pupils of Eck Masters, or were guided by Eck Masters. I wonder why there wasn't an Eck Master who was the guide of Adolf Hitler.

      Those personalities Eckankar could not lay claim to as Eck Masters were denigrated. As such, Jesus Christ was a mere second initiate. This reminds me of one arrogant Eckankar HI who after his daughter had been made a 4th initiate claimed the woman was now of a higher consciousness than Jesus. LOL. But isn't it interesting that St. Paul of Tarsus was an Eck Master, but Jesus, whom Paul proclaimed as his lord and master, and whose servant he was, a mere second initiate?

      In order to make such claims authentic, Paul Twitchell created these fictitious Eck Masters such as Rebarzar Tarzs and Sudar Singh and placed them in relevant points in history.

      'Every day during this time I had lessons with Rebarzar Tarzs. He would suddenly appear in my room,even if I had taken special care to lock the door before retiring. At first his appearance at will disturbed me but I soon saw that he took it for granted that I understtod. I became accustomed to his ways and left my door open so that he could come and go as he pleased. This confidence seemed to please him. I could not understand all his teaching and I could not accept them fully nor was I able....It required years of meditation to bring the realization of the deep spiritual meaning.'

      The above is a quote from Baird T. Spalding's Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East Vol 1,Pg 12. All I have done is substitute the name 'Emil,' one of the Masters in the book, with Rebarzar Tarzs. I strongly believe I have read the above quote or a similar one in an Eckankar book by Twitchell but I can't recall which. When all these controversies of the genesis of Eckankar came into the open, I concluded to myself that the Eck Masters are based on the Masters in Spalding's books. For example, Emil, in the books, was said to be about 500 years old, a similar age Twitchell gave Rebarzar Tarzs.

      So we wait to see if come 22 October, the so-called Rod of ECk Power will change hands or it will again be renewed in the hands of Klemp.

      Pretujari

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2007
        Hi, Pretujari and All1

        Thanks for pointing out the similarities in mythical stories--after all,
        eckankar was based on stealing mythical stories from other sources.
        It is incredible what people in general and eckists in particular
        are willing to base their belief system on--the direction and misguidance
        of others! Most religions, if not all, are only means for someone to
        control the masses. Political leaders emulate piety in order to gain
        support for their agendas, say, for example war! Within a community,
        a narcisstic type personality will gain a following via a religion in order
        to feed his or her ego, and within a family, men (most often it is the men)
        will use religious indoctrination to keep his wife and children under his
        control. It is interesting how Paul T back in the 60s placed the female as
        a negative and the male as the positive--he certainly wasn't a flower
        child, was he?? LOL! I believe Paul had mixed feelings about women.

        As for what will happen at the EWWS, I don't think Klemp's 25 year reign
        will come to an end--at best, he might elevate someone to assist him, so
        he won't have to continue giving his silly little talks. I think the reclusive
        Klemp will want to become more reclusive, and if he can place someone
        else on stage, he can imply that he will continue to control eckankar as the
        mahanta, inner master--in other words, he can have more time to play
        ms pacman and listen to his dated old geezer talk shows.

        Anyway, a word of advise to chelas attending the EWWS, try not to
        fall asleep this time during Klemp's talk. I expect that he will lull you
        first, as he usually does in his talks, then slip something in (as he does
        in his writings), and then continue to lull! Pay close attention, because
        lose lips sink ships, but it will be edited out on the official tapes! : )

        Have fun!

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Ed Kusi <pretujari@...> wrote:

        > Paul Twitchell formed the doctrines of Eckankar the way another Paul, of Tarsus,
        formulated the doctrines of Christianity. Paul of Tarsus used Pagan concepts of Mithraism
        which were well known to the Gentiles, who were his targets for conversion, to build
        bridges to Christianity. Concepts like the 'Messiah' or 'Saviour,' transubstantiation of wine
        and bread into the blood and body of Christ, and the ritual of blood sacrifice of animals
        and thus Christ as the sacrificial lamb are all adaptations of Pagan concepts.

        > Eckankar's Rod of Eck Power is adapted from the Rod of Moses, which in turn is based
        on an older Pagan legend of the Sun-God, Bacchus. Thus:

        > Bacchus had a rod with which he performed miracles, and which he could change into
        a serpent at pleasure. He passed the Red Sea, dry shod, at the head of his army. By the
        same mighty wand, he drew water from the rock, and wherever they marched, the land
        flowed with wine, milk, and honey. (Bible Myths, T.W. Doane, Pg 51)

        > From researchers like Prof Lane and Ford Johnson, we see how Paul Twitchell invented
        the Eck Masters. These beings may or may not exist, and if they do exist, they are not the
        exclusive property of Eckankar for them to be called 'Eck Masters'.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2007
          Hi Pretujari and Mish,
          Excellent posts! Yes, it's too bad that ECKists are taught to keep
          silent, to "think" according to ECK dogma/guidelines only, and
          to judge others by the rank/number of their initiation. Some
          ECKists will be looking at one's Seminar Badge to see if one is
          a "N" newcomer, or "A" 1st initiate, or "B" 2nd-4th initiate, or
          "C" 5th-7th initiate... the 8th-9th will have special "Staff" badges!

          The majority of initiates with a "B" 2nd-4th will be looked down
          upon in the Rountable Circles. Many "Cs" will feel threatened
          (jealous) by the "Bs" spiritual stories/insights. Therefore, the opinions
          of the "Bs" (lower initiates) and their observations will be discounted,
          clarified, or added to by the "C" (higher initiates) due to ego, pride,
          and ignorance. Workshops are less invasive and are somewhat
          safer, but real opinions and observations cannot be shared.

          Once again, ECKists must "sound" like an EK brochure as more and
          more redundant stories are shared. People will be on their best
          behaviour while trying to stand out. These EK seminars are, basically,
          for the business of learning/demonstrating how to spread the EK
          message to the public and for the reenforcement of these dogmatic
          beliefs (and for the sale and distribution of new materials).

          Social needs and gatherings are, also, addressed somewhat but
          mostly for the EK Youth as both a distraction, as well as, for
          indoctrination (brainwashing). Really though, these seminars
          aren't worth using up vacation days from work or the money
          spent! The "message" is very basic and has no spiritual value.

          The only thing that puts all of these ECKists on an equal level
          with one another is that they are all being conned by another
          religious leader!

          Prometheus

          pretujari@> wrote:

[...]
          From researchers like Prof Lane and Ford Johnson, we see how Paul Twitchell invented

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2007
            Hi Prometheus, Mish, and All,
            So true Prometheus, about HIs who discount, clarify, and add to what the Bs contribute at Roundtables and other Eck programs. There was this HI who was such a power tripper. She was notorious for this behaviour, sometimes even doing that to her fellow HIs. One time at a roundtable discussion this HI was going on about how Klemp is such a gentle soul, who when walking onto the stage is looking to be careful not to step on an insect which will happen to be there. I thought it was going on too much, so I asked her about the story of Klemp the Mahanta shopping for poison to destroy mice in his garage! You can imagine her discomfiture in trying to answer that.LOL

            pretujari@> wrote:

[...]
            From researchers like Prof Lane and Ford Johnson, we see how Paul Twitchell invented