Re: Digest Number 922 (Eckankar's Membership Fee)

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2007
      In the "Files" at Eckankartruth, there's a typed copy of a glossy four-page brochure the cult sent to all members probably in the early 90's, "Eckankar, Donations, and You"..   The "temple" wasn't finished, and Todd Cramer was still VP - he left the cult since then.  Altho it starts out recommending that members give 1-3%, at the end it praises tithing - giving 10%!

      There's also a little brochure about remembering the cult in your will and making them the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, but I never got around to typing or scanning it.

      Some years back, I worked with a man who'd lost his best-friend-since-kindergarten to ekult.  He told me that over the years, his friend & the friend's wife changed sooo much, all they thought & talked about was "the eck" - he went to a few eckthings with them but was *not* impressed, and his impression was that it was all about money, and more like a multi-level marketing sales scheme.  And what *really* upset him was when he learned these successful professionals had left *everything* to ekult, and had made no provisions for their two young children.  He said he wouldn't have believed it, but he saw the will.

      It's bad enough that "we" fell for the scam and stayed for so long, but it's almost unbelievable that in spite of the fact that the truth about it is available on the internet, some people stay in spite of the lies.

      Hugs,

      Sharon

      EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1a. Eckankar's Membership Fee (Donation) Has Doubled !
      From: prometheus_973

      Message

      1a. Eckankar's Membership Fee (Donation) Has Doubled !
      Posted by: "prometheus_973" prometheus_973@... prometheus_973
      Date: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:26 am ((PDT))

      Hi All,
      Actually, the EK membership fee (donation)
      has more than doubled in 35 years! So, for
      this HU-Chatter (below quote) to lie about
      this and play this down makes one question
      his other "facts."

      Since Eckankar needs money and uses money
      then why don't they give an accounting for
      the money spent? Why not share all of the
      financial information that shows where the
      donated money goes? Why would there be
      secrets concerning this Lower Plane use of
      resources, unless, there has been inappropriate
      spending like with Gross?! The difference
      now is the "EK Board" has no authority since
      Klemp restructured the org and this makes
      it easier for the "CEO/LEM" to manipulate
      the Board and hide anything he wants!

      Why are there insignificant buildings being
      built... like the "outdoors" Chapel and now
      a Museum is scheduled? Why not build an EK
      compound of sorts with condos (for members),
      shops, daycare, and a private school? Where
      are the dreams of securing EK in the World?

      See! This is just one more reason why I see
      Klemp as a distractor and as a KAL agent!
      Where is the real spiritual focus when all
      HK presents is a never ending continuation
      of a facade'. It's all smoke and mirrors to
      make Eckists feel good as though something
      grand is being accomplished. It's not! It's
      just some (mostly) useless buildings, his
      stupid books with OP stories, and testamonials
      with a lot of imagination thrown in, and
      a lot of glitter to puff everyone up so they
      can feel special.

      BTW, Klemp doesn't even pay his ESC people
      a decent wage for the 40 hours they put in
      let alone all of the overtime that is listed
      as "voluntary." Why?

      Why Do Eckists believe in a poverty consciousness?
      Do some feel they spent their "good" karma up in
      finding EK? I'm sure some feel they don't deserve
      or need anything or much in this here and now on
      planet earth. And, some want to "bank" their good
      karma for higher spiritual accomplishments! Does
      it really work that way? Is the Mahanta the CEO
      of the Karma Bank too?! Or, is the Mahanta CEO
      only special and "real" for Eckists? Well, just
      look around at all of the other religions... and
      they do claim: ECKANKAR, The Religion of the Light
      and Sound of God. See, why do they say "God" instead
      of SUGMAD, or why isn't "God" in all caps? Or,
      do Eckists, unknowingly, follow God... the Kal...
      Satan?! Hmmmmmmm. Maybe Eckists should think about
      these things... just for a little while... and ask
      Why is it this way? Where's my voice and the freedom
      to express my views?! Why should the Law of Silence
      be used as a Catch-22!

      Prometheus

      eckchains wrote:

      Yes, so it seems that ECKANKARP is not all
      powerful and way too ethereal for anything
      miraculous to happen. This argument is just
      the same as for any other religion. What
      would they do without handing over their
      inheritance and giving them money? What they
      are doing is just the same as an INFOMERCIAL
      or PAID ADVERTISING.

      ***
      HU-Chat Member/ESC Moderator or Parrot?:

      "We live in the physical world. And it
      requires physical coin to get certain
      things done. Without our donations the
      land in Chanhassen couldn't have been
      purchased. Without our donations, the
      Temple of ECK would not have been built,
      the office couldn't have been built and
      moved onto the campus grounds, the
      Celebrations of Life Chapel would still
      be a drawing on paper. Without our
      donations, how many free books do you
      figure could have been handed out to
      seekers through the Internet and phone
      requests?

      ... Yes, we pay our membership fees,
      which have barely risen in 35 years,
      but they have to pay the staff (of
      whom many work second jobs to make
      ends meet."

      Messages in this topic (3)

      <*> Your email settings:
      Digest Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      mailto:EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous-normal@yahoogroups.com
      mailto:EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Don't be deceived by a seemingly innocent program on "Spiritual Dreams" or "Past Lives" at your local library or community center! It's one of many ways Eckankar and other cults recruit new members. Learn the truth before you sign over your mind, heart, soul, and life insurance!! See a short intro video at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJqkK_JDnzc and check out the links at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eckankartruth
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2007
        Interesting discussion about donations of time
        and money to the cult (and other religious orgs)!
        It basically seems to always come down to money,
        and followers will readily give in that they
        themselves see it as a way of financing their
        way to heaven! Very delusional . . . and also
        selfish when not caring enough about their family
        in terms of providing inheritance--especially sad
        in the story Sharon posted about the young children
        being disregarded by their nutty parents's willing
        all they had to eckankar and the liar Harold Klemp!
        So,family values and concerns also go out the window
        in such teachings--no responsibility for those one
        should love the most!

        I also had a thought about how much eckankar spends
        on buildings--do they really cost as much as they beg
        for as expense? It would be nice to audit the books on
        where the money actually goes. And in addition, I still
        can't get over the gilded gold staircase in the ESC--too
        ornate and garish for religious fanatics who try to present
        humbleness in the teachings! LOL--as in big joke! : )

        Sharon <brighttigress@...> wrote:

        > In the "Files" at Eckankartruth, there's a typed copy of a glossy
        four-page brochure the cult sent to all members probably in the early
        90's, "Eckankar, Donations, and You".. The "temple" wasn't
        finished, and Todd Cramer was still VP - he left the cult since
        then. Altho it starts out recommending that members give 1-3%, at
        the end it praises tithing - giving 10%!

        > There's also a little brochure about remembering the cult in your
        will and making them the beneficiary of your life insurance policy,
        but I never got around to typing or scanning it.

        > Some years back, I worked with a man who'd lost his best-friend-
        since-kindergarten to ekult. He told me that over the years, his
        friend & the friend's wife changed sooo much, all they thought &
        talked about was "the eck" - he went to a few eckthings with them but
        was *not* impressed, and his impression was that it was all about
        money, and more like a multi-level marketing sales scheme. And what
        *really* upset him was when he learned these successful professionals
        had left *everything* to ekult, and had made no provisions for their
        two young children. He said he wouldn't have believed it, but he saw
        the will.

        > It's bad enough that "we" fell for the scam and stayed for so
        long, but it's almost unbelievable that in spite of the fact that the
        truth about it is available on the internet, some people stay in
        spite of the lies.

        > Hugs,
        >
        > Sharon
        >

        > EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > There is 1 message in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1a. Eckankar's Membership Fee (Donation) Has Doubled !
        > From: prometheus_973
        >

        > Message

        __

> [...]
        > Why is it this way? Where's my voice and the freedom
        > to express my views?! Why should the Law of Silence
        > be used as a Catch-22!
        >
        > Prometheus
        >

        > eckchains wrote:
        > >
        > Yes, so it seems that ECKANKARP is not all
        > powerful and way too ethereal for anything
        > miraculous to happen. This argument is just
        > the same as for any other religion. What
        > would they do without handing over their
        > inheritance and giving them money? What they
        > are doing is just the same as an INFOMERCIAL
        > or PAID ADVERTISING.
        >

        > ***
        > HU-Chat Member/ESC Moderator or Parrot?:
        >
        > "We live in the physical world. And it
        > requires physical coin to get certain
        > things done. Without our donations the
        > land in Chanhassen couldn't have been
        > purchased. Without our donations, the
        > Temple of ECK would not have been built,

        __

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2007
          Hi Mish and Sharon,
          I have to admit that the EK "Outdoor" Chapel
          shouldn't have cost as much as they claimed.
          It seems HK had to pay triple (3 times as much)
          in keeping with the EK Principle of the Threes
          versus for the highest quality of materials,
          functional architectural design and workmanship
          of the structure. LOL! Another facade'! Eckists
          love their imaginations and the illusions they
          create and maintain.... forever and a day!

          Why did a vice-president of the Eckankar Org
          under Klemp like Todd Cramer leave the teachings?
          Have other VPs recently (over the past year or so)
          left the EK teachings too? I heard from a friend
          who is close to a RESA that at least one VP did
          leave EK. Did anyone hear something about this
          and the reason why they quit the Org?

          On another note: I can see why an outsider would
          view Eckists as strange. Such is the case for any
          "outsider" of a secretive organization, group, or
          religion. Those "inside" see everything as quite
          normal from their new found perspective. The thing
          is... they will actually set aside and eventually
          lose "other" connections, perspectives and insights.
          Their new religion becomes an obsession as their
          focus and attention narrows and is simplified to
          what is only accepted within the confines of the
          new and more private (secret teachings) of "higher"
          Dogma within their religion. This is why critical
          thinking is discouraged and why belief in
          imagination fulfills the promises and desires of
          the faithful.

          And, let's face it - Americans and Canadians have
          to be some of the more curious, trusting and gullible
          people on the planet! How else could there be so
          many religions, basically, full of the same old
          nonsense but with a different wrapping! Incredible
          but true.

          Prometheus

          mishmisha wrote:

[...]
          Mish

          Sharon wrote:

          In the "Files" at Eckankartruth, there's
          a typed copy of a glossy four-page brochure
          the cult sent to all members probably in
          the early 90's, "Eckankar, Donations, and
          You".. The "temple" wasn't finished, and
          Todd Cramer was still VP - he left the cult
          since then. Altho it starts out recommending
          that members give 1-3%, at the end it praises
          tithing - giving 10%!
          [snip]