Re: harolds commitment

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2005
      Hi, jjamie!

      I'd guess that many Eckists, especially H.I.s, may have come down with
      that serious EMR disease like their master Harold and can't be on the
      computer for chats! LOL!

      > also, i went to look for a few eckankar groups to see what they are
      > talking about these days, and couldnt actually find any. (only a
      couple
      > of groups with a tiny membership). didnt there used to be lots of
      eck
      > groups? what about chela chat? do u think HQ has frowned on these
      > groups, so they shut down?
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
        Hi Jamie,

        > in which books does hk discuss his mental breakdown, commitment to an
        > institution, etc? id like to read his account of this. can anyone say
        > bit about this? how did his breakdown manifest(what behaviors), how
        > long he was institutionalized, etc. thanks, jamie....

        I have heard recently that this so-called "god realization experience"
        was a veiled suicide attempt ... Can't say if this is correct of course
        but makes more sense to me than the god realization thing.

        > also, i went to look for a few eckankar groups to see what they are
        > talking about these days, and couldnt actually find any. (only a
        couple
        > of groups with a tiny membership). didnt there used to be lots of eck
        > groups? what about chela chat? do u think HQ has frowned on these
        > groups, so they shut down?

        Hu-Chat is well and alive, and you don't need to be a member of
        Eckankar to join there. As far as I know Chela Chat still exists but of
        course you need to be a member and this will be verified.

        Ingrid
      • ctecvie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
          Hello Mish!

          > Hi, jjamie!
          >
          > I'd guess that many Eckists, especially H.I.s, may have come down
          with
          > that serious EMR disease like their master Harold and can't be on
          the
          > computer for chats! LOL!

          Oh yes, but there are also who do plenty of it! :-) Feeling the need
          to defend Eckankar no matter what and where. And they don't
          necessarily add to Eckankar's good reputation. Who needs detractors
          anyway when insiders do the work? ;-) Ah ... perhaps I should retire
          now because my work is no longer needed anyway! ;-)

          Ingrid

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
            Hi Ingrid,
            I've never thought of Harold's "leap" as a suicide attempt before,
            but you're right it does make sense! Let's face it, it was a self-
            destructive negative act of mental/emotional imbalance so why not
            put a positive/spiritual spin on it years after the fact! Brilliant!

            I'm going to do some research and see what I can come up with as to
            what earlier delusions and mental imbalance led up to the
            infamous "Leap of Faith." Interesting, though, it did seem like more
            of a cry for help since Klemp chose to leap from the far end of the
            bridge and into the shallow water near the shoreline where a cable
            was within reach. And, Harold was a good swimmer too! The real test
            was for him Not to leap!

            In regard to Eck Groups... it was reported to me that a person on HU
            Chat is promoting the 2005 Eckankar World Wide Seminar... Year of
            the HU this October. I was looking at the costs to make this
            pilgrimage for the Eck couple living in the States and came up with
            some estimates.

            For 2 people:
            $240 - Registration Fee (donation)
            $461 - Three nights in hotel @$135 per plus tax (no tips)
            $500 - Airline tickets (no tips)
            $225 - Food @$75 per day (no tips)
            $ 44 - Shuttle to Downtown (round trip)
            $ 10 - Bus to Temple (donation)
            $ 24 - Parking at home airport (@ $6 per day)
            _______
            $1504 Estimated Total

            Of course this doesn't include the bookroom purchases or other
            expenses that might be incurred. And, this is just a three night
            stay. Some Eckists will want to come in on Wednesday and stay for
            four nights!

            The good news is that one can deduct, from IRS taxes, the
            donation money and much more if you are on the "program" or
            volunteer! The volunteer thing would need to be everyday by both of
            you in order to take full advantage of the tax law. If audited you
            will need to have proof of how much of your day was used to
            volunteer and this would need to be documented and verified by the
            Eckankar staff (ESC).

            Other good news items for non-Eckists or Eckists who are on strict
            budgets is that the seminar registration and the bus trip to the Eck
            Temple are both "Donation" items. This means that they are Free!
            Eckankar cannot charge a fee for these or it will be violating its
            religious non-profit tax status! Therefore, a couple could save $250
            on these two expenses!

            The thing that I wonder about is whether it's really necessary to
            travel to Chanassen more than once in a lifetime! October is a cold
            time of year in that part of the country. Is it really worth the
            cost? Don't Eckists have the "Inner Master" (the higher Self) to
            help them through tough times? Maybe this is a trip that needs to be
            re-thought? Aren't there better more practical investments for this
            money (like for your children and grand kids)? And, doesn't HK
            encourage Eckists to use their common sense and to get in touch with
            the Inner? So why always the emphasis on an outer seminar? It
            doesn't seem like Klemp (once again) is showing any real
            consideration or empathy for the needs and financial limitations of
            the average Eckist! This is just one more example showing that Klemp
            is just as out-of-touch with the Eck membership as is the typicial
            worldly religious leader.

            <ctecvie@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Jamie,

            >>in which books does hk discuss his mental breakdown, commitment to
            an institution, etc? id like to read his account of this. can anyone
            say a bit about this? how did his breakdown manifest(what
            behaviors), how long he was institutionalized, etc. thanks,
            jamie....

            > I have heard recently that this so-called "god realization
            experience" was a veiled suicide attempt ... Can't say if this is
            correct of course but makes more sense to me than the god
            realization thing.

            >>also, i went to look for a few eckankar groups to see what they
            are talking about these days, and couldnt actually find any. (only a
            couple of groups with a tiny membership). didnt there used to be
            lots of eck groups? what about chela chat? do u think HQ has frowned
            on these groups, so they shut down?

            > Hu-Chat is well and alive, and you don't need to be a member of
            Eckankar to join there. As far as I know Chela Chat still exists but
            of course you need to be a member and this will be verified.

            > Ingrid
          • l2eigh
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
              And, doesn't HK
              > encourage Eckists to use their common sense and to get in touch with
              > the Inner? So why always the emphasis on an outer seminar?

              > Prometheus

              Hi Everyone:
              Because eckankar is wholly a social organization. "Getting
              together" and "get togethers" are therefore the thing. It has no
              dictrine(s) whatsoever, no further or deeper development of ideas or
              spiritual principles, and no dharma other than "every man for himself"
              which is printed on the back of each and every membership card. It
              doesn't matter what the "spin", that's how it's taken, that's how it's
              practiced, and that's what it means to everyone I've ever known in
              Eckankar. It's not just that it's bogus. It's shallow, phoney, and when
              you finally realize... impotent and inconsequential. 40 years and NO
              one, no spiritual group or religion recognizes it. That should tell
              anyone something, all by itself.