Re: A Repost: How Many Narcissists Does It Take . . .

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      I thought that I'd bring this back to the front page and
      ask Marla if she thinks her "ex" (Eck 6th Initiate) was
      also a narcissist? Were there signs that he might
      be when looking at the following indicators?

      BTW-Thanks Mish for the info!

      Hi Everyone!

      http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/traits.html

      > "The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves.
      > They will do this virtually in the same sentence, without stopping
      > to take a breath. . . . They will contradict FACTS. They will lie to
      > you about things that you did together. They will misquote you to
      > yourself. If you disagree with them, they'll say you're lying, making
      > stuff up, or are crazy." In short, a narcissist can confuse you and it
      > appears that this is exactly what scam artists do.

      In brief, here are some of the other listed traits for NPD:

      1. Casual Dishonesty and Cruelty to Other People

      2. Lacks a Mature Conscience

      3. Envious and Competitive

      4. Contemptuous of others

      5. Extremely Sensitive to Personal Criticism/Extremely Critical
      of Other People

      6. Hostile and Ferocious in Reaction/Generally Passive and Lacking
      in Initiative

      7. Naive and Vulnerable, Pathetic Really, No Matter How Arrogant
      and Forceful their Words or Demeanor

      8. Grandiose

      9. Little Sense of Humor

      10. Weird Sense of Time

      11. Totally and Inflexibly Authoritarian

      12. Strange Work Habits

      13. Feels Entitled

      14. Stingy, Mean, Frugal to the Point of Eccentricity

      15. Unusual Eating Habits or Appetites

      16. Secretive or Perhaps Unusually Reserved or Very Jealous of
      their Privacy.

      > There are some other traits I didn't list here, but each is explained
      > in easy to understand lay terms. The author states that, "Almost
      > everyone has some narcissistic traits, but being conceited,
      > argumentative, or selfish sometimes (or even all the time) doesn't
      > amount to a personality disorder. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is
      > a long-term pattern of abnormal thinking, feeling, and behavior in
      > many different situations. . . . Narcissism is a personality disorder and
      > that means that narcissists'personalities aren't organized in a way that
      > makes sense to most people, . . . . Interaction with narcissists is
      > confusing, even bewildering--the reasons for what they do are not the
      > same as normal reasons."
      >
      > Logically and objectively, one can see how a person posing as the
      > mahanta, "the highest state of consciousness known to the chronicles of
      > mankind" and "God's elect" is an individual who is suffering from
      > Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Too bad so many "normal" individuals
      > are mislead by such unbalanced and scheming individuals. I can well
      > understand the narcissistic trait of secrecy because the Truth of who they
      > really are just doesn't match their grandiose view of themselves. The NPD
      > sufferer needs followers and people to control in order to prove their lies
      > are acceptable and working for them.
      >
      > Hey, does anyone know what disorder Klemp was diagnosed as
      > suffering from while in the mental institution? Inquiring minds would
      > like to know! : )
      >
      > Mish
    • marlaprendergast
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
        Yes, I would say most of those traits do apply. However, they came
        out slowly, insidiously, over a period of time. It was not apparent
        to me at the beginning, obviously or I never would have got involved.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
          Hi, Marla and All!

          I had posted the article link on narcissism because I could see how
          religious leaders like Klemp were displaying narcissistic characteristics,
          a seemingly common personality trait of some people who are leaders,
          especially those who want to be deceitful and manipulative of others.

          I am not surprised that you say your ex boyfriend seemed to have most
          of the traits listed in the article. Also, I am not surprised that his controll
          was not apparent to you at first either. This is generally the way it is with
          manipulators--they hook you and then reel you in slowly, so that you
          hardly realize what their motivation or what their true personality is, or
          that you ahve fallen under their domination.

          A narcissicist is all about control. His power is in controlling others, and
          the more he can effect that way, the more he likes it. Putting someone down
          on a regular basis eats at one's self esteem to the point that a narcissist can
          trick his victim into thinking that they are the ones with the problems while in
          truth, it is the narcissist who is the problem! I think you did very well
          to get away from this abuser.

          A big red flag for me is when someone confuses me or makes me feel that
          my thinking is wrong or flawed. I have to stop and really look at this, to
          see if I'm being manipulated.

          I'm not sure why your ex boyfriend wanted you to have an ESA session, and
          even though you did enjoy it and didn't seem to find it harmful to you, the
          fact that he wanted you to go to the ESA tells me that as an eckist he wanted
          re-enforcement to support all the stuff he was doing and doing to you. He
          expected that the ESA would see his behaviors quite eck permissive. That is
          what I think he was doing??? Another tool to manipulate and control he used
          under the guise of spiritual enlightenment, as he worked on keeping you
          under his domination.

          In my message about victim consciousness, I was directing readers
          to check out thrivenet.com as that site has many good tips and techniques on
          finding the positive things in one's life, including taking the negatives and turning
          them into positives in order to thrive and grow. A victim always has a choice in
          the way one learns from life's hard lessons. Sometimes people can get stuck in
          one place. Obviously, you moved on rather quickly, but the tools found on this
          site are worth a look, IMO. And I think that they would help anyone who has to
          deal with a narcissist up close and personal--and there are plenty to be found,
          narcissists, that is!

          Also, I want to add that while I can see many narcissists being attracted to
          religious/spiritual groups, I do not believe that all eckists are narcissists.
          However, eckists might through the eck teachings take on narcissistic
          characteristics. In general, I think all of us on this planet are much summed up
          in the quote from Jed McKenna that Liz likes to often use:

          "We are wonderful spiritual beings having a human experience. ?"

          It is not necessary or needed to follow a group think or take on religious
          dogma or mantras. Eckists, like the rest of us, are their own spiritual guides,
          and are only being slowed down in the quest for spiritual growth and
          understanding when they allow a deceiver like Harold Klemp to step in their
          way. That is why I like these discussions about the deceit and lies
          about eckankar--sharing the real truth and perspectives regarding the fake
          eck religion!

          Mish

          --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "marlaprendergast"

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
            Hi All,
            Good post Mish! Of course with Eckankar the chief
            narcissist was Twitchell. In hindsight I can see how
            some of those I encountered, as an Eck "explorer"
            and "settler," were narcissists... including at least one
            RESA! At the time I just thought that they were control
            freaks of/for the Mahanta or "perfectionists" of some
            sort!

            Actually, if I had read or studied the NPD indicators while
            an Eckist... it would have explained the "why" of things
            better and I wouldn't have had some of those people upon
            a pedestal! I would, also, have had a better idea of who I
            was as Soul rather than following the instructions of
            someone claiming to be above me via initiation or thru
            their embellished Seminar stories, etc.. I even made the
            mistake of having certain Former H.I.s upon a pedestal,
            of sorts, at one time or another as well! I guarantee that
            won't ever happen again! LOL!

            The more and more one hears them (narcissists) talk and
            talk and talk (always needing to get in the last word) and
            the more discussions one enters into with them the easier
            they are to spot. They are never wrong and are pseudo-
            experts just like Twit and Klemp and other sickos like
            them. I can now understand why they seemed paranoid
            at times too. It's one of the by-products of this disorder.

            Klemp is a real sicko! He uses the INTERNET subject because
            he wants to stop Eckists from reading, exploring, researching,
            and thinking on their own, and from finding anti-Eckankar
            sites like this one. HK gives one message to Lower Initiates
            (fear) and another message (moderation) to High Initiates!
            Then again, these narcissists are master manipulators and
            liars because they've done this all their lives. In fact they
            distort the Truth because they are weak! Their ego feels the
            need to over protect them and, thus, over compensates!
            These narcissits have always gotten their way as children
            because they did what it took to do so! They would kick and
            scream, or pout, stop speaking, or say they hated their parents,
            or even threaten to kill themselves, and any number of other
            things when they didn't get their way. Sometimes they will just
            wear their opponents down with verbal pleas or arguments
            until they win out!

            Anyway, Mish, thanks again for your comments and insights.
            It was interesting for me to revisit the "why" behind some of
            those negative/offensive and bullying personalities that really
            weren't "spiritual" or "higher" in consciousness after all!

            Prometheus

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2007
              I have been recalling the words and actions of various
              people, who with closer obversation, typify the indicators
              of narcissistic personality disorder.

              There is one person, I know, who is generally disrespectful
              to most people, (he thinks he knows more than anyone) and
              is, especially, disrespectful towards women. He'll break up with
              women he's dating by using something said by her and blowing
              it all out of portion! This way she'll feel that the conflict was of
              her making and her fault and as he portrays himself as the victim.
              It's interesting that this man, also, searches out those women
              that he can manipulate, and that these women are drawn to him.
              Of course he does hold a somewhat "prestigious" professional
              job in the community and this tends to draw women to him as
              he boasts of his accomplishments. He doesn't have many "friends"
              and the ones he does have are other men that don't challenge his
              ego. On the surface he seems like a fun person, but this is on a
              superficial level. This is why people, and women especially, at first
              glance are attracted to him. In truth he's a liar, self-involved,
              unethical, envious, fearful, and is disrespectful to even his higher
              Self. He is a lost Soul. If he wasn't so arrogant and mean spirited
              he could be pitied... except that's too good for him when viewing
              the harm that he has done others and continues to do!

              Anyway, after discovering the true nature of this individual I
              no longer have contact with him, although, I kept hoping that
              he'd change. I phoned him recently and discovered that life
              hasn't given him the lessons he needs for him to take a closer
              look at himself nor his destructive actions. Therefore, I have
              washed my hands of him... he can never be trusted to be more
              than he is. It's still a mystery to me as to when, why, and how
              he first changed and became a narrcissist. Be that as it is... a
              person can only change (for the better) when they can admit
              that they need to change. Until then... the best I can do is to
              stay away from him and warn others when possible. Perhaps,
              this too, is what Marla is doing by coming to the anti-Eckankar
              sites and sharing some details of her experience with her
              ex-boyfriend (An ECK 6th Initiate).