Mahanta Shark and Other Insensitive Thoughts! : )

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2007
      Hi, All!

      It seems that a major problem with groups is a thing
      called "group think" which really is the earmarkings of
      becoming cult-like in thinking, where one conforms to
      what the leader or major leaders want others to do, say
      or think. Every word that is spoken or written by members
      is up to scrutiny by the group. If it is less than conforming,
      then invariably someone will chastize in order to put that
      person in his place or try to force him to conform. Such a
      frenzy of intolerance is taking place over on HuChat. Seems
      like with the change in moderators, some new interesting
      messages are going up over there, and some of the "cult"
      police are quick to condemn! LOL!

      Anyway, it is a new day on HuChat and change is throwing
      some huchatters for a loop! Here's a passage from Sam Harris'
      book "The End of Faith" that seems appropriate:

      "For anyone with eyes to see, there can be no doubt that
      religious faith remains a perpetual source of human conflict.
      Religion persuades otherwise intelligent men and women to
      not think, or to think badly, about questions of civilizational
      importance. And yet it remains taboo to criticize religious
      faith in our society, or to even observe that some religions are
      less compassionate and less tolerant than others. What is
      worst in us (outright delusion) has been elevated beyond the
      reach of criticism, while what is best (reason and intellectual
      honesty) must remain hidden, for fear of giving offense. . . . "
      (from Afterward, page 237)

      Yes, eckankar does not want critical thinking among its
      members; nor can there be fun (like referring to Jesus as
      a "Jesus shark") beyond some "canned" laughter! It really is
      too controlling group--its very nature smacks of cult-in that
      it leaves very little room to be free thinking. BTW,
      displaying what one considers religious tolerance is often
      just a ploy in trying to get others to be tolerant towards one's
      religion. An eckist might and did ask what if someone called
      the eck master a mahanta shark? How would an eckist feel if that
      was said about Klemp? Well, I don't know, but hey, let's try it! All
      right, eckists read this, Klemp is a mahanta shark, so there!
      Now, how does that feel??? Or can you practice detachment and
      just let it slide??? LOL!

      Mish

      p.s. Actually, I wish my friends over on huchat the best of luck
      as they adjust to perhaps an improved and friendlier site! I
      enjoy what some of these people do write even if I see eckankar
      org as a dark and deceptive cult!