Re: "The Square Peg" by Paul Twitchell

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007
      Since the print was small I decided to reprint THE
      SQUARE PEG [1964] article here.

      THE SQUARE PEG
      by Paul Twitchell

      "Since the interview by Jack Jarvis in the Post-Intelligencer
      July 9, [1964] I have been besieged with telephone calls
      and mail asking what in 'heavens name is a Cliff Hanger?'

      The Cliff Hanger is A ONE-MAN CULT. I am the ORIGINAL
      Cliff Hanger and its SOLE DISCIPLE. The NAME was COINED
      TO EXPLAIN MY ATTITUDE regarding THIS AGE of MASS
      CULTURE as a lot of ABRACADRA. The name is synonymous
      of a man hanging on the edge of a cliff SAFE FROM THE
      CROWD; MORE OUTSIDE THAN THE OUTSIDER, HAPPIER
      THAN THE ANGRY YOUNG MEN, and AT THE OPPOSITE
      POLE from the Existentialist who claims man has NO HOPE
      in life. [my caps]

      [ME] Actually, Paul exaggerates (again) that he was the
      "original" Cliff Hanger, and even contradicts his statement
      later by listing "others" in history. BTW- How HAPPY is
      someone who is 'happier than the ANGRY YOUNG men?'
      This sounds like a rationalization to explain PT's negative
      'ATTITUDE' towards life. It's called Karma or cause and
      effect or what you sow is what you reap!

      The ways of this KOOKY CIVILIZATION has left the Cliff
      Hanger with NO ALTERNATIVE than to TURN HIS BACK on
      this HOMOGENOUS SOCIETY and GO HIS OWN WAY with
      those who MIGHT have been called Cliff Hangers, i.e.,
      BYRON, TOM PAINE, RIMBAUL, LAWRENCE of ARABIA, and
      OTHERS who have earned the various tags of NON-
      CONFORMIST, INDIVIDUALIST, REBEL, and LONELY
      ODDBALLS. [my caps]

      [ME] Was it really true, necessary, or kind for PT to "Turn
      His Back" upon society? Also, isn't it true that ECKists have
      to CONFORM to Guidelines, the RESA Structure, Rules, and
      Dogma! ECKists have to watch what they say and are fearful
      to discuss certain topics around certain ECK Leaders or else
      they might have to wait years longer (if ever) to get that next
      Initiation. It's true! ECKANKAR is a RELIGION and is Anti-Cliff
      Hanger!

      The Cliff Hanger is NOT interested in PUBLIC BANGLES,
      NOR willing to give himself *THE AIRS of HERO by proclaiming
      A GREAT LOVE to raise money for HOSPITALS or WORTHY
      CAUSES which involves the enthusiasm of the MIDDLE-
      CLASS. NEITHER is there ANYTHING ELSE in this MASS AGE
      great enough to make him climb the wall, ESPECIALLY IN
      RELIGION. [my caps & *]

      [ME] Yes, it's their Karma! Why be compassionate! Well
      this is an obvious lie about 'NOT' being interested in
      'Public Bangles!' Klemp mentions on ECKANKAR.org that
      Twitchell was always his own "Drumbeater" and even tried
      to get into WHO'S WHO in KENTUCKY back in 1935 and this
      is 1964 and almost 30 years later! ALSO, it's plain to see that
      the purpose of this SQUARE PEG article is for Twitchell to
      promote himself in order to create enough interest to start
      his New Vocation as Master of all Masters! BTW- remember
      that "HERO" remark for later!

      This ZANY CHARACTER is called the VANGUARD of a NEW
      RELIGION, entitled 'Eckankar,' a Hindu word meaning Union
      with God. This unorthodox PHILOSOPHY received a wide
      welcome among the EUROPEAN INTELLECTUAL and COLLEGE
      CIRCLES following the publishing of MY WORKS in European
      magazines. [my caps]

      [ME] Well, this shows that ECKANKAR is a 'NEW' RELIGION
      and NOT an "ANCIENT" one after all! Old Twit is really tooting
      his horn isn't he! LOL! But, it's just his way of being HUMBLE.
      I can see where Klemp got the idea of buying his way into
      the "International Who's Who of Intellectuals, ninth edition."
      Also, PT is playing down his deficiencies by making himself
      seem "zany."

      The Cliff Hanger seeks solace in MEDITATION and BI-LOCATION
      experiences COMMON in the lives of the old Christian SAVANTS.
      HIS SAINTS are KABIR; 16th Century HINDU-POET-WEAVER, and
      ANCIENT SUFI AVARTARS, JALAL AL-DIN RUMI, HAFIZ, and SHAMUS-
      I-TABRIZ. [my caps]

      [ME] What happened to "contemplation" and "Soul Travel?" Oh,
      those terms haven't been "borrowed" as yet! It's interesting that
      PT only makes SHAMS into an ECK Master!

      HISTORY IS MADE by the impact of the ECCENTRICS, the
      ORIGINALS, the PROUD IMAGINATIVE PEOPLE from which
      NEW IDEAS COME. A society cannot get along without its
      Cliff Hangers, because they are the most vivid means of
      exhibiting the power of free men. [my caps]

      [ME] And whatever happen to responsibility? Everyone cannot
      be a Cliff Hanger and do as they please! This is a very anti-
      social and VAIN stance to take. Twit is a narcissist! See how he
      mentions 'PROUD IMAGINATIVE PEOPLE.' This is why ECKists
      emulate Klemp. However, Twitchell is short sighted by over-
      looking the negative impact of his actions or that of other
      CLIFF HANGERS throughout history. Look at just three other
      "Cliff Hangers" from PT's time... Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.

      For this reason this BOBBY DAZZLER feels THE BREAK IS
      NECESSARY with our MASS CULTURE because it has considered
      the MAN of IMAGINATION and FREE SPIRIT DANGEROUS. He is
      AN INCARNATION of IDEALS in MEN, from the WISDOM of
      SOCRATES, from the DIVINE IMAGINATION of BLAKE, the
      CREATIVITY of SHAKESPEARE, STRENGTH of HERCULES and
      COMPASSION of BUDDHA, and the FREEDOM of CYRANO DE
      BERGERAC. [my caps]

      [ME] Twitchell is quite the conman, and he's delusional!
      BTW- Wasn't "Hercules" a Mythical Character, therefore,
      he had no real strength either! See, Twitchell can just dream
      up anything and anyone he wants... but then again... so can
      anyone else! Yes, PT imagined himself quite the hero!

      He is a man who has an I.Q. of 185 and can SKIP READ four
      to six THOUSAND BOOKS a year. He generally MAKES HIS
      LIVING in one of the AESTHETIC ARTS, has HIS OWN LINGO
      for COMMUNICATION, has earned the 'LABEL of ILLOGIC' in
      PHILOSOPHY and DEED. [my caps]

      [ME] TWITCHELL CLAIMS HE HAS AN I.Q. OF 185! LOL!
      I really like the way PT talks of himself in third person.
      This is how he wrote when sending all of those Letters
      to the Editor when doing his own PR to promote The
      Great Paul Twitchell! BTW- Since when was 'Skip Reading'
      actual READING! Where's the comprehension! Yes, PT has
      his own "Lingo" he "borrowed" and then altered, exaggerated
      and twisted facts, and myth from The Path of the Masters.

      He has REJECTED THE GREAT UNWASHED who are up to
      their ears in this DEPARTMENT STORE CULTURE, of PENSION
      PLANS, TELEPHONES, RADIO, and TV, DOGMA and MONEY
      CHANGERS. [my caps]

      [ME] So "he" once again refers to PT as the Cliff Hanger.
      So, it seems that Twit is anti-progress! Now, we all know
      that there is too much materialism, but PT is off his rocker!
      No telephones, radios, or TVs? What about those 'imaginative
      people from which new ideas come' like Edison? What about
      Klemp's Video Clips and HU-Chant CDs, and phone conferences?
      Are ECKists to get all their info on the "inner" ... what is true
      or untrue? PT wants to force his own distorted views upon people.
      Plus, why shouldn't people have 'pensions plans,' unless, the
      government takes care of that. Someone needs to give health
      care assistance to people! I'll bet Klemp has a great health care
      and pension plan! And, HK should be drawing full Social Security
      this year since turning 65!

      Accordingly, he sees this civilization heading down the
      path to destruction, and will be the GREATEST to SUFFER
      unless HE CAN GET OUT OF IT QUICKLY. But he is in a sense
      LIKE THOREAU WHO WASN'T IN THE LEAST INTERESTED IN
      CHANGING THE WAYS OF HIS TIME, BUT WANTS TO BE LEFT
      ALONE TO ENJOY HIS OWN COMPANY IN SOLITUDE. [my caps]

      [ME] That's a load of B.S.! This was written in 1964 and in
      January of 1964 he and Gail took out a marriage license in
      San Francisco. But yes, I can see that Twit wasn't interested
      in becoming a really positive mover and shaker to help people
      because he and his lack of credentials couldn't stand up to
      the scruntiny... that's why in 1969 he created the Mahanta
      or Master of Masters and Highest Con Anywhere position for
      himself. This "firewall" protected PT from the reproach of
      both internal and external critics.

      My writings are pointed toward this, although THEY MAY
      APPEAR ON THE SURFACE LIKE THE WORKS OF A MAN
      CARELESS of LAW and LANDLORDS with the ATTITUDE
      of GAY MOCKERY. [my caps]

      [ME] No Paul, your writings are NOT pointed towards
      wanting 'to be left alone to enjoy his own company in
      solitude' like Thoreau! This is just more of PT's con to
      place the reader off guard and to make him seem trust
      worthy and non-threatening. He isn't selling you magazines
      ... yet!

      The Cliff Hanger may be THE FAVORITE of the Gods,
      and it's CERTAIN *HE IS the LONELY HERO of THESE TIMES,
      but as I said, IT IS A ONE MAN CULT, WITH MYSELF AS
      FOUNDER, PRESIDENT and DISCIPLE." [END, my caps & *]

      [ME] As we can see, Twit was testing the waters in 1964
      to see what interest there was in his ONE MAN CULT. I'm
      also certain that Gail re-typed and edited this for the genuis!
      LOL! Also see the *! Twit earlier said that to refer to oneself
      as a "hero" is to put on "airs" and yet he does this here! Twit
      just can't prevent the narcissism from coming out, nor can
      Cheryl. <smile>

      Look at how VAIN this self-proclaimed "favorite" and
      "HERO" is! Remember, too, these Cliff Hanger comments
      from 1964 are supposed to be during years and years of
      study with Rebazar Tarzs! Something is wrong with both
      Twitchell's and Klemp's timelines and ECK "history" about
      these imaginary events!

      Prometheus

      http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/scanindexsubAcss.asp?indexID=153