Re: Hey Zoey

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11 7:09 PM
      Hi, Zoey and Kaye and All!

      I enjoyed the Bill Moyers On Faith & Reason series last summer
      with all the discussions on the differences between faith & reason,
      how they seem at odds with one another. Perhaps, there
      is some overlapping in that we each select our beliefs based on our
      individualized experiences and our exposures to organized
      "faith" groups. In the end, many of us refine what works for us, and
      might ultimately recognize that in truth we are our own teacher and
      student. Basically, I would say we all struggle to learn how to live with
      and among others. To me, this is why we search for guides and/or
      organize ourselves into some acceptable and working belief system.
      At the heart of it, we are longing for goodness in ourselves and others.

      Anyway, I've copied an excerpt of Bill Moyers interview with Pema
      Chodron in which she explains what Buddhaism means to her. I think
      it pretty much expresses what Kaye has found as well. And I agree
      that any group that uses some form of threats or fear tactics are
      nothing more than cult-think, whose true purpose is to control and
      manipulate others to their liking and for various power reasons.

      BILL MOYERS ON FAITH & REASON
      Bill Moyers and Pema Chödrön . August 4, 2006

      BILL MOYERS: BILL MOYERS: Welcome. I'm Bill Moyers. We've seen in this
      series how faith has a place in keeping an open heart, and reason, a
      means of keeping an open mind. In this hour, Pema Chödrön takes us
      beyond faith and reason. Her answer to the frenzy of modern life is a calm
      mind and a warm heart, the journey and discipline of 30 years as a
      Buddhist nun. Buddhism is not so much a religion as it is a way of life.
      It marks no divide between the sacred and the secular. And when you get
      serious about it, Buddhism touches everyday experience. That's what Pema
      Chödrön teaches and writes. In helping many others to find their own
      footing on the path of enlightenment, she's also helping to change the
      face of Buddhism in America. Once upon a time, this was how most of us
      in the West thought of Buddhism -- monks, seeking mental and moral
      purification through ancient ritual. Images of great temples. Exotic art.
      And the mysterious, serene deity. But it was this man who came to
      personify Buddhism for us -- the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of
      Buddhism. He fled Tibet when Chinese communists overran his country,
      and has since become one of the world's most popular spiritual figures.
      I'm just one of scores of journalists to whom he has patiently explained
      Buddhist concepts.

      DALAI LAMA: Religion is not outside. Religion is here. I think essential,
      essential in a religion is good heart. Something I call love and compassion
      is the universal religion. That's my religion.

      BILL MOYERS: In recent years, Buddhism has found a welcome in America,
      thanks to books by some of its leading teachers, who point the way to a
      practice based on direct experience, rather than belief. Pema Chödrön is
      one of those teachers. Here she is, at the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck,
      New York, where people come to learn about Buddhism. PEMA CHÖDRÖN:
      The thing is, what we find if we're not used to sitting quietly with ourselves,
      not used to meditation, not used to having any inner solitude in our lives,
      we find that we're very threatened by nothing happening.

      BILL MOYERS: When she's not on the road, teaching, Pema Chödrön lives,
      writes, and meditates at this monastic center in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia,
      where solitude replenishes her. For years, she trained as a pupil of the late
      renowned Buddhist master, Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, of the Shambhala
      Buddhist tradition. She wasn't always Pema Chödrön. Born Deirdre
      Blomfield-Brown, she grew up in New Jersey. Here she is as a teenager, at
      her wedding in the mid-'50s, and with her children. Her grandchildren trick
      -or-treat with a Buddhist Batwoman. And even Buddhist nuns have to pump
      their own gas these days. Her books sell widely, with titles such as, WHEN
      THINGS FALL APART, THE PLACES THAT SCARE YOU, and NO TIME TO LOSE.
      Her readers not only discover modern insights into ancient practices. They
      also come to see how this housewife and mother became what the Buddhists
      call a bodhisattva warrior.

      BILL MOYERS: What is a bodhisattva warrior?

      PEMA CHÖDRÖN: Well, it's someone who takes a vow, actually, which I have
      done, and many Buddhists do, that, my main passion in life is to awaken
      myself. And I believe that everybody could do that. And I will devote my life
      to the degree that I can awaken. To that degree I will devote my life to trying
      to inspire other people to believe that they could and, obviously behind all
      this is the de-escalation of violence, and aggression, and the escalation of
      loving, kindness and compassion, and those kinds of feelings. So the path is
      about how the individual works with their own mind, and how that affects the
      family, the society, the nation, the world. (end of excerpt)

      If you're interested in reading the entire interview, you can google Bill Moyers
      On Faith & Reason. There are several other discussions on the topic, all very
      interesting. I probably posted some messages regarding this earlier.

      Mish

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "zoey_true"