My Eckankar OBE!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2005
      Hi, All!

      A while ago, I mentioned in a post that I had what seemed to be an
      OBE when still a member of Eckankar, and I promised I would post it
      here. So here goes--LOL!

      My husband (also an Eckist but with higher initiation) and I were
      involved with a few Eck groups in our area. One H.I. woman who was
      also an ESA and quite looked up to by all members seemed to be
      overly friendly in my opinion with my husband. I noticed that when
      the Eck greetings were being made, she seemed to give him an overly
      warm and affectionate long embrace and that she would if seated
      close to him would reach over from time to time to grasp or pat his
      hand. In contrast, she was not as "friendly" with me. She was a
      single woman; however, she was engaged to be married and was living
      with her significant other! : )Anyway, I do pay attention to details
      and as time went on, I was less and less pleased with this woman's
      friendliness with my husband. My husband thought she was quite
      spiritual and perhaps there was even a past life connection, yada,
      yada.

      After one worship service, when again this woman had been overly
      affectionate with my husband in her greeting, a group of us went out
      for lunch. We were seated at a long table, and this woman ended up
      sitting directly across from my husband. Of course, everyone was
      chatting with one another, and it was pleasant enough. But every
      once in a while, I would notice this woman reach across the table
      and clasp my husband's hand. She did this at least 3 or 4 times.
      Well, I didn't much like that display. : ) But I kept quiet. When we
      were all finished dining and getting up to leave, I thought I heard
      my husband say to this woman, "Would you like to come home with me?"
      This is what I thought he said. I was standing right next to him!
      Well, it was too much, and I blurted out, "Why would you want to
      take her home?" I put an emphasis on "take," too! Well, everyone
      looked startled, and so was I! When I spoke those words it was as if
      someone else was speaking outside my body. I felt removed from it
      all and really an observer at this point.

      But in truth, my husband had asked her if she was going home after
      the lunch or something to that effect. Well, the woman, though,
      responded very quickly to me--she said she was not interested in my
      sweetie because she had her own sweetie. I forgot to mention that
      our local director, another H.I., was also present and came to the
      ESA's defense, and gave me a scowling eye and said certainly
      this "other" woman would not be flirting or something like that.
      Needless to say, I embarrassed myself, but I didn't apologize at all-
      -well, I was very flabbergasted as well by my outburst since it
      didn't seem like it was me speaking anyway--it seemed to be another
      self! I couldn't apologize for that person, could I? : )

      Well, we all said our goodbyes. Of course, when my husband and I got
      to our car, he had to ask me, "What was that all about?" He had a
      bit of a chuckle in his voice. I explained to him the whole thing,
      and how it felt like an OBE. We both broke out laughing, and were
      rather laughing our heads off as we even passed by the woman I
      had "offended." I think we both even waved to her as we drove
      off! : )

      As a result of this incident, I felt that the local director and
      this woman became even less friendly with me. But, the ESA did seem
      to keep her distance from my husband as well, so that was a very
      good thing. Later, I shared this story with two other Eckist women.
      The first woman later recognized this ESA at an Eck seminar when she
      got really chummy with her husband--she was rubbing his back or
      something. My friend told her to keep her hands off as she herself
      was the only one allowed to touch her husband. The ESA was taken
      aback--(again!) Still later, I spoke to another Eck woman whose
      Eckist husband is quite elderly--and she said she had the same
      feelings as I had. That this ESA was overly friendly with her
      husband too, but he enjoyed it and didn't see the harm. It annoyed
      the wife to the point that she would not leave them in a room alone.
      She felt this was silly since there was such a huge age gap, and
      didn't think she should feel jealous or threatened, but she did
      anyway. So I guess my feelings/observations were not isolated to me
      and me alone concerning this one particular H.I.!

      I wonder how prevalent it is for Eckists to be inappropriate with
      other Eckists in this sense? We were attending a pot luck one time.
      I was speaking with a couple of men, one who was single. In the
      course of the conversation, the single guy (also an H.I.) patted my
      thigh ever so briefly. I was surprised, of course, but I also
      responded quickly by telling him in a slightly joking (smiling)
      way, "Do that again, bud, and I'll have to hit you!" And then
      continued the conversation.

      I think some people have hinted at things happening at Eck seminars--
      where individuals have little affairs--maybe, just giving love in a
      very "spiritual" way! I'm not sure about that. I can't decide
      whether this inappropriate behavior was intentional as learned in
      (confused by) the Eck teachings or that these individuals just don't
      know the appropriate boundaries. Thankfully, my
      experiences in Eckankar are rather limited.

      Mish
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
        Hello, Mish!

        Very good experience - I liked it! :-)

        > My husband (also an Eckist but with higher initiation) and I were
        > involved with a few Eck groups in our area. One H.I. woman who was
        > also an ESA and quite looked up to by all members seemed to be
        > overly friendly in my opinion with my husband.

        Those who are looked upon the most are often the most mean people.
        In my regional Eck center there was a lady who was so deluded I
        couldn't believe it, but apparently not many people apart from me
        and my husband noticed that. Except the people whom she hurt deeply
        without even knowing she did so. She was so convinced that
        her "inner experiences" were right that she did really bad things.
        She was - and is - a very active and respected member of the Eck
        community, distributing hu-cards in buses and subways ... And of
        course she became an HI eventually ...

        > I noticed that when
        > the Eck greetings were being made, she seemed to give him an
        overly
        > warm and affectionate long embrace and that she would if seated
        > close to him would reach over from time to time to grasp or pat
        his
        > hand. In contrast, she was not as "friendly" with me. She was a
        > single woman; however, she was engaged to be married and was
        living
        > with her significant other! : )Anyway, I do pay attention to
        details
        > and as time went on, I was less and less pleased with this woman's
        > friendliness with my husband. My husband thought she was quite
        > spiritual and perhaps there was even a past life connection, yada,
        > yada.

        Yeah, that's always a good explanation for eckists. :-)

        > After one worship service, when again this woman had been overly
        > affectionate with my husband in her greeting, a group of us went
        out
        > for lunch. We were seated at a long table, and this woman ended up
        > sitting directly across from my husband. Of course, everyone was
        > chatting with one another, and it was pleasant enough. But every
        > once in a while, I would notice this woman reach across the table
        > and clasp my husband's hand. She did this at least 3 or 4 times.
        > Well, I didn't much like that display. : ) But I kept quiet. When
        we
        > were all finished dining and getting up to leave, I thought I
        heard
        > my husband say to this woman, "Would you like to come home with
        me?"
        > This is what I thought he said. I was standing right next to him!
        > Well, it was too much, and I blurted out, "Why would you want to
        > take her home?" I put an emphasis on "take," too! Well, everyone
        > looked startled, and so was I! When I spoke those words it was as
        if
        > someone else was speaking outside my body. I felt removed from it
        > all and really an observer at this point.

        It seems that you grasped what was going on, but rather from her
        point of view than from that of your husband.

        > But in truth, my husband had asked her if she was going home after
        > the lunch or something to that effect. Well, the woman, though,
        > responded very quickly to me--she said she was not interested in
        my
        > sweetie because she had her own sweetie. I forgot to mention that
        > our local director, another H.I., was also present and came to the
        > ESA's defense, and gave me a scowling eye and said certainly
        > this "other" woman would not be flirting or something like that.

        No, no - of course not! HIs don't do that - just working out karma
        and learning "spiritual" lessons ... :-)

        > Needless to say, I embarrassed myself, but I didn't apologize at
        all-
        > -well, I was very flabbergasted as well by my outburst since it
        > didn't seem like it was me speaking anyway--it seemed to be
        another
        > self! I couldn't apologize for that person, could I? : )

        Could not for sure! :-)

        > Well, we all said our goodbyes. Of course, when my husband and I
        got
        > to our car, he had to ask me, "What was that all about?" He had a
        > bit of a chuckle in his voice. I explained to him the whole thing,
        > and how it felt like an OBE. We both broke out laughing, and were
        > rather laughing our heads off as we even passed by the woman I
        > had "offended." I think we both even waved to her as we drove
        > off! : )

        Well, what a happy end!! ;-))

        > So I guess my feelings/observations were not isolated to me
        > and me alone concerning this one particular H.I.!
        >
        > I wonder how prevalent it is for Eckists to be inappropriate with
        > other Eckists in this sense?

        I have never noticed that. What I did notice, though, was that most
        of the eckists I knew were not fit for longer lasting or well-
        working relationships. They all had more or less troubles. My
        husband always said how lucky he was I wasn't an eckist when we
        met! :-)

        > I think some people have hinted at things happening at Eck
        seminars--
        > where individuals have little affairs--maybe, just giving love in
        > very "spiritual" way! I'm not sure about that. I can't decide
        > whether this inappropriate behavior was intentional as learned in
        > (confused by) the Eck teachings or that these individuals just
        don't
        > know the appropriate boundaries. Thankfully, my
        > experiences in Eckankar are rather limited.

        I have heard talking about that, too, but I never have noticed
        anything. Well, perhaps I'm just too naive! But I think it does
        happen very easily - you meet, you are on the same path, if you like
        each other then you think it's from a "past life", it's "karma" - so
        you have a common enough basis. And when it doesn't work out - well,
        it's karma as well! :-)