RE: Do no Harm

  • tee green
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2007
      Hello Everyone!

          I've been reading your posts with interest, especially about resas or some hi ekult grand pubas contacting xekkies for exit interviews.  Now that I think about it, a few months after I left, I was called by the area resa and invited to a harhar dinner- I declined and told them that I had left ekult. I gave no reason and the caller didn't press for an explanation.  Then a few weeks after that, I got a call from a new ekkie arrival in my town (I was a little suspicious of this) and would I like to gather with her and the one other local ekkie for a HU chant. I politely told her that I was no longer a member and no thanks- she kind of giggled and said, "oh well, I hope that you're happy with whatever you're into. What struck me was her snarky tone and attitude. Perfect confirmation that I was right in leaving. My response was a bubbly and gushy "Oh yes! I'm VERY HAPPY!" I felt no anger at this encounter, I realized that she is where I once was and I felt sorry for her and all those still trapped, but it is a choice that they are happy with and cannot fathom how we could leave.

          I've never been to any major seminar and I am so glad that I saved my money. I propose that we have our own springtime spiritual celebration. I was checking out a "What the Bleep" site and came across this neat essay and web site link. I like the simplicity and genuinely positive qualities of the idea. Who knows- great events often start small.

      Do no Harm (and Have Fun),

      Kaye

      Greetings,

      I wish to share with you an essay that I co-authored. You will find it at donoharm.us and I have attached it below.
      We ask that you help support the Do No Harm movement by placing the words "Do No Harm!" on your web-site. It is not necessary to link to our web-site or even mention our movement. Of course, we would be pleased if you do link to our web-site.
      If you have any suggestions, wish to offer any assistance, or merely participate by passing on the message, "Do No Harm" we would be grateful.

      From: http://www.donoharm.us

      Do No Harm!

      This is the start of a new movement, the "Do No Harm!" movement.

      We seem to be living in a world that is getting meaner every day. Too many of us are only out for ourselves, and we are either oblivious of the harm we cause or we ignore the harm we cause. Could it be because no one taught us otherwise?

      Could it be because no one ever asked us to "Do No Harm"?

      If we look at just about any endeavor our species has engaged in, it would seem we are unaware of the harm we do to others, or we intentionally do harm for our own gain, and sadly in some cases for our own pleasure and enjoyment.

      Since we haven't been taught otherwise we see no harm in doing harm. We cause harm and shrug it off. We cause harm and laugh about it. We cause harm and brag about it.

      Worse, our children bear witness to our actions and never learn to do no harm. Above all else we must teach our children, by example and instruction, this simple philosophy of life.

      If we are to become a more evolved species we must begin to make better choices and treat each other with more respect, and that includes the other creatures who share this planet and this planet we call home.

      We believe that the first and most basic moral law is, "Do no harm!" Why? Because we can feel pain and suffering, we can imagine the pain and suffering of others. Because we can imagine the pain and suffering of others, we can act accordingly.

      What does "Do no harm" mean? For some it means arbitrary restrictions of action (not to strike or kill), speech (not to lie or insult), and thought. But what it ultimately means is thoughtful consideration. Do no harm simply means to consider how our actions may affect the world we all share, to be compassionate in our dealings with all creatures, and not to despoil our planet.

      Doctors are asked to first do no harm, why not lawyers, businessmen, religious leaders and politicians? Why not us? Why not now?

      If we cannot do good and leave this world a better place for being here, the very least we can do is to attempt to do no harm, and leave it no worse than as we found it.

      It sounds like a simple idea, because it is a simple idea, but it just may be effective over the long run. Will "Do No Harm" solve all the problems in our world? Perhaps not, but this is an effort to decrease the nastiness in the world and to increase the kindness.

      We hope that "Do No Harm" becomes that little voice that guides our actions.

      We hope you will join the movement and pass on the message "Do No Harm."

      Place it on your web site or use it to sign your e-mails in place of "Yours" or "Regards."

      It is not necessary to link to this web page or even to mention the source of the message. This is surely a case where the message is far more important than the messengers. All we ask is that you practice do no harm and take every opportunity to pass the words "Do No Harm" on to others.

      If you wish to include this essay, or the link to the "Do No Harm" web page, that's fine, or if you wish to change the wording or write your own, that's equally fine. But if this movement is to succeed, and if we are ever to change our world for the better, we simply must pass the "Do No Harm" message on.

      If you wish to send us your own thoughts or comments, we will add them to this web page.

      Sometimes, all you really need to do is ask:

      Do No Harm!

      c.c.keiser & clyde grossman

      June 1, 2006

      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.