Initiation Levels / Worth reading!

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007

      > in the Nov. 1, 1970 Wisdom Notes Twitchell gives a list
      > and states, "Here are the present initiations in ECKANKAR as
      listed:

      > 1. The Neophyte - Initiate of First Circle [also Acolyte]
      > 2. The Acolyte - Initiate of Second Circle [s/b Arahata]
      > 3. The Kurnai - Initiate of Third Circle [s/b Ahrat]
      > 4. The Chiad - Initiate of Fourth Circle
      > 5. The Mahdis - Initiate of Fifth Circle
      > 6. The Shraddha - Initiate of Sixth Circle
      > 7. The Bhakti - Initiate of Seventh Circle
      > 8. The Gyanee - Initiate of Eighth Circle
      > 9. The Maulani - Initiate of Ninth Circle
      > 10. The Adepiseka - Initiate of Tenth Circle
      > 11. The Kevalshar - Initiate of Eleventh Circle
      > 12. The Maharaji - Initiate of the Twelfth Circle
      > All. The Mahanta Maharai - Initiate of the SUGMAD Realization"
      >
      > NOTE: The ECKANKAR Lexicon gives this "All" as the 13th Initiation.
      >
      > As anyone can see, Twitchell was still fine tuning his scam up
      > until his death. This is also why Gross and Klemp had to go
      > do revisions and editings by doing a new printing. It also explains
      > why some of this Twitchell information is no longer available.
      > Klemp doesn't want ECKists to be able to connect the dots.

      *** Hello all,

      I wanted to bring this Initiation discussion back around to also
      show where Paul Twitchell got his ideas for, or should I say
      plagiarized his Initiation levels from! First I want to show a
      posting that documents a source for several pages Paul Twitchell
      plagiarized on the subject of initiations. The amount of plagiarized
      material is not great, but it cuts to the heart of Eckankar's most
      sanctimonious claim to superiority over other groups. The source
      book is THE INITIATIONS OF THE WORLD, by Vera Stanley Adler, first
      published in 1939.

      I will follow this up with The Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad, Book Two, Chapter
      12: The Circles of ECK Initiations

      THE INITIATIONS OF THE WORLD, by Vera Stanley Adler, first published
      in 1939.

      Adler was a student of Alice Bailey. And the initiation
      descriptions given in Adler's book are her own summary of the
      initiations as given in the Bailey books. Paul Twitchell used
      several of Adler's initiation descriptions, mostly word for word, to
      describe several Eckankar initiations. Harold (in the usual arrogant
      Eckankar way) tells us in one of his discourses that the Bailey
      teaching is only a mental path. Yet we see below that
      the supposed higher world Eck Initiations of the 5th, 6th, 8th, and
      9th are described with words and concepts derived from Alice Bailey.
      Hmmm. I guess Paul had to rely on a mental path to come up with
      descriptions for some of the higher Eckankar initiations.

      The problem (for Eckankar claims to superiority) is that Paul takes
      Adler's descriptions for initiations of a certain degree, and
      applies them to Eckankar initiations of a higher degree, as follows:

      Adler initation 3 = Eckankar initiation 5
      Adler initiation 4 = Eckankar initiation 6
      Adler initiation 5 = Eckankar initiation 8
      Adler initiation 6 = Eckankar initiation 9

      I guess this should be called initiation inflation after
      the idea of grade inflation that plagues weak academic
      institutions. For those who wish to look up the equivalent Eckankar
      passages, you will find them in chapter 12 of book two of the
      Shariyat, which is titled THE CIRCLE OF THE ECK INITIATIONS. Go to
      chapter 12, and flip to the section of the chapter where Paul writes
      about the particular initiation (5th, 6th, 8th, or 9th as the case
      may be). The plagiarized passages follow.

      ADLER INITATION 3 = ECKANKAR INITIATION 5

      The Third Initiation is sometimes known by the name of the
      Transfiguration. This is because it takes place when the concrete
      mind has been finally controlled and balanced up with the rest of the
      personality, making a perfect whole of such a vibration that the
      light of the soul, the fire of the inner planes, can affect it, can
      reflect itself upon it and can permanently illuminate it. From this
      time forth the Initiate is an illuminated man. He knows. He has seen
      for himself the inner realities and he is consciously in touch with
      them. He is able to recognize others of his own standard of
      achievement and higher; he can know understand the type of work that
      is being done on the inner creative planes, through the use of mind-
      control, sound and colour. The Initiate has now before him the next
      step along the Path, that of learning to live as a soul, to
      understand and control with his own soul the forces of the soul-
      plane, and to bring his whole equipment under the full control of
      his Monad, his divine spirit. (Adler, 79)

      ADLER INITIATION 4 = ECKANKAR INITIATION 6

      The Fourth Initiation can finally be attained only through
      complete sacrifice and the uttermost suffering. The period preceding
      it is therefore called the Crucifixion. During it the Initiate must
      lose everything in life that means anything to him, and sacrifice
      himself even unto death. Were the beginner upon the Path to know what
      lies ahead of him he might recoil in dismay. But by the time he has
      reached the great test his soul is so strong and his character so
      expanded, his inner knowledge so irradiating and his sense of values
      so changed, that if he could count the cost ahead he would deem it
      but a little price to pay. After the Fourth Initiation the Initiate
      can work consciously with the Devas, and co-operate intelligently and
      helpfully with his brethren in the hierarchical Lodge. His knowledge
      of the Plan is ever enlarging, and he sees it extending beyond our
      solar system. His next task is to contact his own Monad and learn to
      be and to live as Spirit. (Adler, 80)

      ADLER INITIATION 5 = ECKANKAR INITIATION 8

      The Adept or Master has now the right to choose whether he will
      take the two remaining Initiations, making the Seven; whether he will
      sacrifice himself to remain upon the earth to help with the progress
      of humanity; or whether he will pass onwards to realms of development
      outside this planet, and even outside the solar system. (Adler,
      80-81)

      ADLER INITIATION 6 = ECKANKAR INITIATION 9

      If he takes the Sixth Initiation he becomes the Chohan. This
      gives him the power to wield the law (or work with the vibrations)
      governing all the phases of Planetary Life. If he takes the Seventh
      Initiation he may wield the law of our entire solar system. Of
      course, we cannot understand what this means at our present stage of
      development; but it may serve to give us a hint of the glorious
      unfoldment which, it is taught, lies inevitably ahead of striving
      humanity. The Chohans, the Planetary Spirits, the Devas and the
      Deities, the Adepts and Initiates, are striving upwards upon the Path
      also; as they graduate to higher positions their places must be
      filled. It is from the vanguard of achieving humanity that the
      applicants come forth. Thus we see the tremendously important role
      which advanced humanity must play in the Cosmic scheme. (Adler,
      81)

      ONE OTHER FRAGMENT (which is somewhere in Paul's chapter on
      initiations)

      No one can take these teachings on trust. They obviously can
      only be proven by each person for himself. When an aspirant first
      begins to achieve, it is said that his light shines, the growing
      spiritual fire within him. This is perceived by those watching and
      waiting to helped on the inner planes. He is at once taken in charge
      and taught every night, while asleep, first in the hall of Learning
      and later in the Hall of Wisdom. This is why it is vitally important
      not to squander the hours meant for sleep. (Adler, 81)

      The Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad, Book Two, Chapter 12:

      The Circles of ECK Initiations

      1. Acolyte (AH-koh-liet), initiate of the First Circle of ECK,
      spiritual discipline

      - Initiation received in the dream state

      - Not able to leave Eckankar should he/she ever decide to do so

      - Undertaking a course of discipline that enables one to take the
      path of ECK
      that will allow the lower emotional and intellectual centers to come
      into
      contact with the higher ones

      - Awakening to potential

      2. Arahata (ah-rah-HAH-tah), initiate of the Second Circle of ECK,
      the teacher

      - The limited consciousness in man comes into the state of decision:
      what road
      shall the chela take: the left-hand path of black magic, the right-
      hand path of
      white magic or the center road of the purified Soul

      - Now falls under the principle of conscious evolution through
      conscious action
      and deeds

      - The teacher who gives the knowledge of ECK to the Acolyte and those
      outside
      the works

      3. Arhat (AH-rat), initiate of the Third Circle of ECK, the worthy
      one

      - Must look at past lives to live in the present

      - Comes under the cycle of threes in which every phenomenon, every
      action, every
      event, every physical and psychological change is the result of an
      instant
      action of three forces which come under the Kal Niranjan - the
      positive, the
      negative, and the neutralizing force

      - Begins the true unfoldment of the consciousness into true
      spirituality

      4. Chiad (chee-AHD), initiate of the Fourth Circle of ECK, intellect
      or mind

      - The highest initiation of the psychic worlds

      - Evolution of the mind in the results of the power of sensing time,
      matter, energy, and space - begins to have an insight on all these
      phenomena of nature - all illusions

      - Realization that the five passions of the mind are the enemy that
      must be overcome

      - Gradual rising out of the world of psychic reality

      - Perceptions on consciousness evolve into trust and faith that all
      will be well provided

      - Growth of consciousness is frequently accomplished by certain
      mental distresses and also by physical illnesses

      5. Mahdis (MAH-dees), initiate of the Fifth Circle of ECK, the
      transfiguration

      - Above the psychic worlds in the first of the true worlds of Spirit

      - Old balance is swept away and a new one and truer one must be found

      - The first few weeks or months, the initiate is on trial and attacks
      upon himself must be expected before he settles into the true ways
      of the Mahdis

      - He who dwells in the Atma Lok has no place to call his home

      - First faces what is known as truth, the Reality of God

      6. Shraddha (SHRAHD-dah), initiate of the Sixth Circle of ECK, the
      surrender

      - Complete sacrifice and uttermost suffering which is preceded by the
      way of pain and unhappiness

      - The initiate must lose everything in life that means anything to
      him and sacrifice himself even unto death

      - The initiate can work consciously with the ECK Masters and beings
      of various planes with intelligence and consciousness of what is
      taking place

      - Service without complaint

      7. Bhakti (BAHK-tee), initiate of the Seventh Circle of ECK, love and
      devotion, the Shab

      - World of silence for the forces that have brought him this far are
      now broken apart and gone; has become entirely ECK in principle and
      spirit

      - Now has the right to choose whether he will pursue the rest of the
      way on the path of Eckankar

      - The initiate begins to attain direct, conscious experience

      - By self-surrender, the initiate does not resist life, but goes
      along with it in an active manner

      8. Gyanee (gie-YAH-nee), initiate of the Eighth Circle of ECK, the
      pure disciple

      - crossroads of eternity

      - Now has the right to choose whether he will sacrifice himself to
      remain upon earth to help with the progress of humanity or whether
      he will pass onward to the realm of spiritual development outside
      this planet and into the spiritual regions

      - Has now directed his footsteps toward Mastership and can never turn
      back

      - Cannot do anything but obey the wishes of the Mahanta

      - Has become one of the chosen few who will come to the true
      knowledge of the Sugmad

      9. Maulani (mah-oo-LAH-nee), initiate of the Ninth Circle of ECK, the
      vanguard

      - Given the power to wield the law, or work with the vibrations
      governing all phases of planetary life

      - Given insight of the spiritual unfoldment which lies inevitably
      ahead of the teaming masses of humanity

      - Sacrifices everything for his fellow ECKists

      10. Adepiseka (ah-deh-pee-SEH-kah), initiate of the Tenth Circle of
      ECK, the accepted disciple

      - Enters into the divine wisdom pool, the true wisdom, the worlds of
      the true nature of Sugmad

      - The ECK is the only part of life worth living

      - Fully understands the three principles of ECK: Soul is eternal;
      whosoever travels the high path of ECK always dwells in the
      spiritual planes; Soul always lives in the present

      11. Kevalshar (KEHV-ahl-shahr), initiate of the Eleventh Circle of
      ECK, rebirth

      - World of the unspoken Word, the Voice of Sugmad

      - Rebirth into God-Realization

      - Only the Mahanta can serve as the spiritual guide to lead the
      initiate into this world

      - Understands Soul exists because of God's love for It

      12. Maharaji (mah-hah-RAH-jee), the Living ECK Master but not the
      Mahanta

      - The Master who is of the body, but not yet ready to wear the crown

      - It is learned that the ECK is not energy of Itself, but It controls
      and directs energy in all the worlds of God

      13. Mahanta Maharai (mah-HAHN-tah MAH-hah-rie), initiate of the
      Thirteenth Circle of ECK, the Living ECK Master aware of his
      relationship to the Mahanta

      14. Mahanta (mah-HAHN-tah), the Living ECK Master, the Vi-Guru, the
      Light Giver
    • Non ekster
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
        THis would explain why my brother has endured four failed marriages,
        cancer, panic attacks and depression/anger reactions, as well as an
        inability to tolerate being alone. Even with all of this "burning off
        of "karma", etc., he still holds on to the delusion that somehow
        eckankar and the living eck master, mahanta, (Klemp) are somehow going
        to save him in the end, of course, should he survive the "even unto
        death" part. It's really very sad that this destructive cult keeps
        such a terrible hold on many, out of fear of leaving this "religion".
        If only he could just wake up to the SCAM that eckankult really is.

        noneckster