Re: Some Aspects of the Original Teachings of Surat Shabda Yoga

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi Truthdecider,

      Thanks for the post. I have some comments (of >snips) that I'd like
      to make from my own experiences with meditation as a TM siddhis
      prior to Eckankar and also from my eck contemplation experiences.

      >It should be constantly remembered during a meditation session that
      >whatever perceptions, thoughts and perhaps even hallucinations
      >occur, they are all the creations of one's own mind and
      >consciousness, and are filtered through one's own instrument of
      >perception. These perceptions are patternings of our own psychic
      >energy.

      When he says "consciousness" is he refering to upper mental region
      (etheric) awareness? It seems so, and I disagree. One can experience
      a perception beyond that of the mind with a Soul level (and beyond)
      consciousness.

      >It becomes clear that the key to remaining in control of a
      >meditation experience is in controlling the flow of attention.
      >Distractive experiences can be avoided in the first place, and the
      >flow of attention can be properly directed by the use of Yoga
      >techniques of meditation. The following is a description of several
      >such techniques which can all be applied while meditating.

      The emphasis on control makes me wonder how one can have anything
      but a mental plane experience. Or, perhaps a mental plane experience
      is the highest goal achievable here.

      >Then place your undivided attention on that consciousness which is
      >experiencing whatever is happening to you.

      My recommendation is to "gently" place attention and to always
      approach these techniques with an attitude of having everything to
      be or seem "natural." One should never use force (will) or strain.
      Just gently and lightly relax and enjoy the process with an open
      care free expectation of No thing.

      >If the attention wanders while practicing any of the meditation
      >techniques mentioned below, immediately bring the attention back to
      >the process of meditation, and do this as many times as is necessary
      >until the attention remains centered on the particular form of
      > meditation which you are practicing.

      Once again, if the attention wanders then "gently" bring it back.
      Make the meditation into a "natural" and "enjoyable" experience (and
      if you have an itch then scratch it!). Also, don't be concerned
      about your breathing... let it be normal and natural as well. Don't
      stress yourself out and be thinking you need to have rigid control
      for any of this to work. With practice, the distractions dissolve,
      but try to avoid meditating during times of excessive external
      distractions (like when your neighbor is trimming with his gas
      powered weed whacker).

      >Sound Current Meditation:
      >When you open your eyes after such a meditation, you may find your
      >surroundings filled with blazing light.

      Interesting, that a Sound current meditation also has light
      involved! This sounds like Eck!

      The only thing that I have a different take on is telling someone
      what to expect. Some yogis think that if they do this and that
      a specific result is found that this validates the experience (as
      with the scientific method for physical matter). I also disagree
      with this because everyone is unique (and somewhat similar) in
      consciousness. Also, the expectation of a particular end result can
      color or predetermine (through suggestion) the experience. However,
      it is good to some degree to let people know what might happen so
      they won't be startled when or if it does happen. Eventually,
      however, Soul or God-Soul or SPIRIT will take one to places far
      beyond any expectations of mind. The key, however, is that these
      experiences and insights are usually selective and unique for that
      Soul alone. Eventually a Unity Consciousness state occurs.

      Anyway, I just thought I'd put my two cents worth in for whatever
      it's worth. These techniques and methods do sound interesting and
      I'm looking forward to experimenting with them. Thanks again for
      putting them on the site.

      Prometheus
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
        Hello Truthdecider,

        just wanted to say "thank you" for this post - I will surely try out
        the techniques (and thanks, Prometheus, for your helpful comments)! I'm
        really glad you have joined us here and hope you will post some more!

        Ingrid
      • l2eigh
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
          Hi Prometheus:
          Can you explain what you mean by a Unity Consciousness
          state beyond unique individual experiences initiated for one by one's
          higher self?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2005
            Hi l2eigh,

            Actually, I can't explain this, but I can try to give an incomplete
            and brief glimpse from my perspective. Bear with me please.

            Here's one of several analogies. Each Soul is like a planet (Self-
            Realization stage). Each sun is like God Soul or Over Soul (God-
            Realization stage). A galaxy is likened to Unity Consciousness.
            There are no levels or degrees or planes per se... there is only
            perception. We are each our own planet self-contained and multi-
            demensional. We are each influenced and have commonality with the
            other planets circling our sun. All planets are also influenced by
            cosmic debris, etc. and rotate and orbit differently as well. This
            is an imperfect analogy, of course, but one needs to contemplate
            first on the "planet" aspect of this concept in order to see the
            complex, simplistic, and the familiar. This analogy only represents
            one aspect of the glimpse into Unity Consciousness. I certainly
            don't even have the answers for me, let alone anyone else. Each must
            explore with discrimination, balance, and confidence in finding
            truth.

            Prometheus

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
              Hello Truthdecider,

              First let me say that this is my thrid response to this post so I
              will be more brief this time just in case it also gets deleted. The
              other two posts were both lost on the final preview.

              --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "truthdecider"
              <truthdecider@y...> wrote:

              >Firstly, you sound like someone who is still very much involved with
              inner experiences, meditation, and so forth. I think that's great. I
              would love to hear more about whatever it is that you are involved
              with now.

              I see the outer and inner as pretty much one and the same, or as a
              blend. I don't do formal or structured meditations or
              contemplations. I view life from a very stress free and contented
              perspective. Stress is generally chosen by me intentionally or when
              I am in a state of imbalance. This perspective has opened up a
              unique view of life that needs to be experienced rather than defined.

              >Also, I wonder if you could elaborate for me on your feelings and
              thoughts as to how you currently differentiate between what you
              called the higher mental plane, the etheric plane, and the soul
              plane and beyond. I feel that I understand what Eckankar meant by
              these distinctions. And I feel I understand what Ford Johnson and
              HCS mean by these distinctions, which is somewhat different than
              Eckankar's take on it.

              Twitchell borrowed the God Worlds concept from others who probably
              did the same. In some cases the problem may lie in semantics. I see
              that there are stages rather than levels, heavens, or planes. In the
              stage concept (for me) there is no pecking order or linear climb in
              consciousness. There are no individuals climbing to greater heights
              or people saying, "I've been where you are." A "stage" can be
              experienced at anytime by anyone, and is not dependant upon higher
              or lower consciousness. The experience and lesson is always specific
              for that Soul.