Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: ECK Higher Initiations Are a Mixed Bag o...

  • ewickings
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007

      BTW- Didn't DG split from Gail after about 4 years
      of marriage and prior to anything David Lane wrote?
      What's the Timeline on this? Just curious!

      *** From what I have read Darwin and Gail were officially divorced on Dec. 31st 1977, and papers were filed with the Superior Court of CA, in San Diego County, Case # D116678.   ;-)

      Lane's book, The Making of a Spiritual Movement: The untold Story of Paul Twitchell and Eckankar,  came out in 1978?  Sorry I am not sure of the month....

      Liz
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007
        In a message dated 1/2/07 3:17:08 AM Central Standard Time, tianyue@... writes:

        I agree, but if everyone on such a site were exactly alike in their
        sentiments and opinions, there would be nothing to discuss. Is
        that what you want? If so, it would be very boring, I would think.

        Kent,

           Enjoyed reading your response and viewpoints. And no, it was
        not that I wanted to suggest everyone be alike. I was attempting
        to bring into consideration the middle or third element inside of
        any trivial equation consisting of two opposing sides.

           I'm not portrayiing trivia in a negative way, when I see it com-
        posed of the words tri ["three"] and via ["way"].

           Not always, but more during the past few months it has become
        more important to navigate history in this context. For me, that is.

           Perhaps like a ping pong ball traveling back and forth between
        some opposite extremes, I've come to a better awareness about
        the central net, that without which neither side could amount to
        any real difference. I know this is a vague point perhaps, but IMO
        I thought it nevertheless necessary to mention.

        Kent wrote:

        Yes, but again, there is no fixed, static balance. One moment it is
        day, then night, with the seasons changing, with longer days,
        then shorter days. The centerpoint will likewise shift. It is not
        fixed. To give an example far off the subject, to curtail global
        warming, as an important issue, is not much thought of as a
        centrist view, yet in my view those who care about the issue are
        very balanced and in the center on this issue, though they are
        thought to be extreme by many. It is often the majority who get to
        decide where the middle is, but that is not at all the same thing
        as balanced. Each person gets to decide what is balanced for
        him/herself. It is often different for each of us.

        Etznab responds:

           Thanks for sharing that (and the other parts that I didn't
        respond to). I like reading what others have to share,
        especially their sincere opinions - some of which may in-
        deed be the truth - no matter the venue.

           E.S.A. is a different B.B. compared to others, and even IMO
        it is NOT all bad.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007
             Yeah, and I've heard that some folks got initiations even before the
          second and two years time had elapsed. Really, no kidding. So things
          were different in the early days. Nowadays a person could easily wait
          15 or more years to go through the first four and five initiations, where
          in the past it might have (for a few at least) taken three (or even two)
          years. So this amounts to history I guess.
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007
            In a message dated 1/2/07 12:58:42 PM Central Standard Time, prometheus_973@... writes:

            BTW- Didn't DG split from Gail after about 4 years
            of marriage and prior to anything David Lane wrote?
            What's the Timeline on this? Just curious!

               IMO one would have to consider when the manuscript began.
            When Eckankar found out about its contents, etc. The book had
            other forms of "publicity" before the 1993 publication. Also the
            SCP was active as well.

               The wording I used in an earlier reference was too general I admit.
            I was looking at the history of David's book and the other writings
            that alleged plagarism before that. Without looking at the timeline I
            would guess the latter 70's when things started really hitting the fan.
            I remember that even Eckankar wrote something about the charges
            of other people and groups against Eckankar.

               So most of what I was referring to pertains to the latter 70's. OK,
            I'll check the timeline:

            - IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER -

            (The following information represents the "view" of the author, and not
            necessarily of Eckankar): This is a "generic" outline only and viewers
            are hereby advised to research and/or crosscheck the information for
            themselves. - D.R.D.

            1972 Darwin & Gail married [October?]
            1973 Darwin referred to as Mahanta? (1973-1974?)
            1977 Term Paper / California State University, Northridge
                    Letter / Alan Nichols to David Lane
            1978 Divorce Announcement / Darwin Gross
                    Finished Manuscript / "The Making of a Spiritual Movement"
                    Term Paper Sent to ECKANKAR / David Lane
                    Informally Circulated Manuscript / "The Making of a Spiritual Movement"
            1979 Trivia / Religious Controversy [Los Angeles Times article, 05/30/79]
                     Mystic World Publication [August]:

                     Dear Fellow ECKists,

                     There have been groups and individuals actively distributing
                     misinformation about the ECKANKAR teachings. With this
                     in mind, we wish to provide you with the following information...
                     [....] (

                     No Plagarism / The Far Country [According to Darwin Gross -
                     December 27th, 1979]
            1980  Plans to Step Aside / Darwin Gross [March 1980]
                     8th (Inner) Initiation / Harold Klemp [June 14th, 1980]
                     Letter Excerpt / Dr. Louis Bluth [June 19th, 1980]
                     The Wind of Change - "Copyright 1980
            1981  8th (Outer) Initiation / Harold Klemp - January 27th, 1981
                     9th Initiation / Harold Klemp - July 22, 1981
                     President of Eckankar / Darwin Gross? - October 1st, 1981
                     Harold Klemp / The 973rd Living ECK Master - October (?), 1981

               These are the timeline titles mostly, with some clarifying references
            where deemed appropriate. The full timeline was voluntarily removed
            (by me) from the internet twice due to "peer" pressure and various
            other (personal) reasons.

               OK, Prometheus. Does this answer your question? David's book I
            believe was published in 1993 - a version of it at least. However this
            timeline does IMO indicate what I have alluded to before about Gail
            and Darwin splitting up and Darwin looking for another L.E.M. with-
            in a few short years [see 1977-1980, etc.] O.K. Does this clarify
            my (speculative, at least) point?

            Etznab

            P.S. Typos, Subject, and/or Timeline date corrections are welcome
            if they need apply. The forgoing information gives an observation only.

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007
              In a message dated 1/2/07 2:29:08 PM Central Standard Time, ewickings@... writes:

              *** From what I have read Darwin and Gail were officially divorced on Dec. 31st 1977, and papers were filed with the Superior Court of CA, in San Diego County, Case # D116678.   ;-)

                 Thanks Liz, I have that the official announcement came shortly
              afterwards. Example, early 1978. By "announcement" I mean:

              "In early 1978, Darwin sent a personal letter to every Eck chela in the
              world informing them that he and Gail were getting divorced.  A couple
              of years later, Darwin got remarried, but it lasted only a few months
              and he got the marriage annulled." [Based on: David Lane]

                 If this is incorrect, somebody correct me.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007
                Actually, today, if one is a high profile professional an
                ECKist can get the 5th after 15 years. The average time
                it takes to get the 5th is 18 years. However, there are
                many ECKists that now have to wait even longer to get
                the 5th due to: The org's ridgid training requirements;
                by not networking with the H.I. clique; by not doing
                required volunteer work; by asking too many questions;
                or by getting on the wrong side of the RESA or to have
                complaints called in on you or discussed when your name
                comes up for initiation.

                BTW-I've not heard of anyone getting an initiation higher
                than the 2nd before the initial two year time period. I can
                see how that would happen after 1971.

                Isn't it interesting that the ECK Initiations have slowed
                to a crawl. If Higher Initiations supposedly represent a
                Higher Con. then why do they take so long with Klemp
                being in charge for Twenty-Four years than they did with
                PT in Six years or DG in Ten years? Both PT and DG
                together had 16 years of leadership compared to Klemp's
                24 years! Could it be that ECKANKAR is going through a
                Spiritual Regression (Devolution) with Klemp-in-charge?
                It would seem so! Where do all of those 7ths go? Ah, they
                dream of, imagine, or delude themselves of having that
                8th on the inner where it really counts anyway! Right!
                And, that's how Eckankar still works for most ECKists!

                Prometheus

                etznab wrote:

                > Yeah, and I've heard that some folks got initiations even before the
                > second and two years time had elapsed. Really, no kidding. So things
                > were different in the early days. Nowadays a person could easily wait
                > 15 or more years to go through the first four and five initiations, where
                > in the past it might have (for a few at least) taken three (or even two)
                > years. So this amounts to history I guess.
                > Etznab

              • tomleafeater
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2007
                  <ctecvie@...> wrote:

                  > Kent,
                  >
                  > I enjoy your posts greatly - also those on a.r.e. because you are
                  one
                  > of the few ones to express themselves clearly. I'm glad to read you
                  > on ESA, too.
                  >
                  > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "tomleafeater"
                  > <tianyue@> wrote:

                  > > etznab@ wrote:
                  >
                  > ---snipped---
                  > > > I'll say this much, however. From 1968 to 1970 is only
                  > > > about two years. Darwin must have received the 5th, like,
                  > > > really soon after the 2nd. Unless he skipped the 2nd and
                  > > > went right to the 5th.
                  > > >

                  > > In those days, people flew through the initiations. People
                  > > commonly would get initations every year, until they were
                  > > "slowed down" a couple of years later. Samorez, a fellow who
                  > > posts once in a while on a.r.e. went from the second to the
                  fifth,
                  > > skipping everything in between. I remember the story, since he
                  > > lived in my local area. He knew Twitchell and Gail and thus
                  > > received a favor.
                  >
                  > *** My husband knew Bettine Clemen, the flute player, when she was
                  > still in Germany and also in Austria. She told him and a few others
                  > at the time that on one day, she got the fourth and the fifth
                  > initiation, one after the other.
                  > Ingrid

                  Right. Eckankar needed leaders and representatives quickly to
                  maintain growth, so the initiations were really flying during those
                  times. H.I. were swaggering about like giddy, drunken sailors who had
                  too much to drink all at once.

                  By the way, thanks for the feedback on my posts. Sometimes I think I
                  post just for they fun of writing. But usually when I read my own
                  stuff, I often come close to deleting it before I post it! Then I
                  say, what the heck, and post it anyway. Funny, that.

                  Kent