Re: ECK Higher Initiations Are a Mixed Bag of Wo...

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006
      I was just a youngster when all of this was taking place, though my
      parents had not officially become members until about a year after
      Darwin was LEM/Mahanta.

      As for the Silhouette issue; I don't recall ever seeing Darwin's
      head inside of Paul's, but that isn't to say it was not fact! I do
      recall Darwin's silhouette on a medallion I owned, with Paul's head
      inside of Darwin's. I honestly can not recall when I first received
      this medallion, though I kept it until Harold booted Darwin from the
      teachings.

      17 Sept 1971 Paul Twitchell died, cause of death was
      arteriosclerotic heart disease, a heart attack.

      Before Paul's death, the board apparently had been trying to
      persuade Paul to sign over copyrights on his books to the
      organization. Gail insisted that Paul keep everything in his own
      name. Gail, of course, is one of the pivotal figures in the eckankar
      movement, as she had persuaded Paul to take his message to the
      public.

      After Paul's death, all rights passed to Gail. It is evident that
      these copyrights were, and still are, the real "Rod of Power" in
      eckankar. Gail chose Paul's successor, not the board members, and
      not Paul Twitchell!

      Gail revealed her choice (Gail had a vision that Paul came to her
      and revealed his successor); Darwin Gross, a then second year
      initiate in the Portland satsang, who was brought immediately to Las
      Vegas on Gail's orders. (I thought they were together tucked away in
      some little love nest for the weekend?) Darwin supposedly arrived in
      Las Vegas driving Paul's blue volkswagen. Darwin was granted an
      automatic fifth initiation and was tutored for eight to ten hours a
      day by Chester Tuttle, the business manager of eckankar. They had
      less than a month to prepare Darwin for the fifth world wide
      seminar.

      When 22 Oct 1971 finally came, Gross was presented by the Widow of
      Paul Twitchell with a BLUE carnation. Immediately following the
      moment Gail handed the carnation to Darwin, he went to the front and
      addressed the assembled eckists......

      A year later, on 27 Oct 1972 Gail and Darwin married. Some time
      following the marriage, the official party line was changed. In the
      years immediately after Gross assumed office, internal memos and
      other writings indicated that Darwin only claimed to be
      the "interim" Master who Twitchell fortold. Later it was announced
      that Twitchell had passed the Rod of Power to Gross at midnight on
      22 Oct 1971, thus endowing him with the status of Mahanta. This
      claim was made possible by saying that the actual transaction took
      place on the soul plane, in the Valley of Shangta at the Oracle of
      Tirmir. By eckankar's own account, the entire Order of Vairagi was
      there to witness this historic event. Diana Stanley, (eck artist)
      was given the special honor of being transported to the soul plane
      so that she could "observe" the transaction and later paint it for
      everyone to cherish.

      In view of Paul Twtichell's repeated disclaimers about the imminant
      appearance of a new Mahanta, Twitchell claimed his replacement was a
      youngster some fifteen years away, which at the time seems pretty
      unlikely that Twit had Gross in mind as his successor.

      In light of this information, Paul said the next Mahanta would be
      ready by 1986. Though didn't eckankar claim Klemp as a Mahanta
      prior to this date of 1986? ;-)

      > Darwin's actual status after the Fifth
      > > World Wide seminar (which I attended) was that he was an Eck
      Master
      > > (initiation 9-12), but it was understood that he was not yet a
      > > Mahanta (14th). In fact, his silhouette was graphically depicted
      > > within Paul's silhouette in the official publications, which was
      > > awkward and revealing. Thus, the prevailing understanding in the
      > > membership was that Darwin was working under the Mahanta, but
      was not
      > > the Mahanta. This status was one reason so many lost confidence
      in
      > > eckankar and in Darwin at the time, and left eckankar. On the
      stage
      > > that night in Las Vegas, he looked insecure and had some pretty
      big
      > > shoes to fill, in the eyes of those in attendance. After about
      two
      > > years, Darwin was re-introduced in an eckankar publication as
      the
      > > Mahanta, and his silhouette stood from then on on its own, and
      no
      > > longer was within Paul's silhouette.
      > >
      > > As to his status before the appointment, I think it is true he
      was
      > > quickly brought up to the fifth. I'd have to check my old box of
      > > letters from that time to be sure.
      > >
      > > Kent

    • Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006
        There was a lot of initiation jumping going on after Darwin received
        the high status of LEM/MAHANTA!

        At the age of 13, I was allowed to attend adult satsang classes so I
        was pretty special. ;-) In 1977 a local 3rd initiate couple were in
        attendance at a special chela meeting. There was a lot of whispering
        going on, when someone asked, "can you feel it"? I looked around at
        everyone wondering what the hell that was suppose to mean. The
        individual asked again, "can you feel it"? No one said anything...

        Next came the announcement that this 3rd initiate couple had recently
        received their 5th initiations. WOW, they skipped their 4th, was I
        impressed! Talk about ego... the wife of this couple was pretty proud
        of her accomplishment. And to show us her new status of the Mystical
        5th initiation symbol, when the meeting was over, we all went across
        the street to a coffee shop to celebrate. Instead of waiting for
        the "walk" signal to change and stop on coming traffic, she entered
        the traffic holding her head up high, bravely strolling across the
        street, nearly missing being hit. That was her "show" of the new
        found powers bestowed upon her, by the god man of the universe. LOL

        Does anyone else recall when a family was announced by headquarters to
        have received their 5th initiations, and at the time they had a 5 year
        old daughter that also received her 5th initiation? Boy was the
        membership a buzz with that bit of news. Funny, I recall it was
        around the time Harold and Marge supposedly received their 5ths.
        Interesting wouldn't it be, if it were non other than Klemp's daughter
        that received her 5th that day? ;-)

        Had ALL of the truthful historical information been compiled years ago
        for the membership to see, I for one would have left this mythical
        path years ago. A "rational" thinking mind COULD NOT AVOID SEEING THE
        HISTORICAL TRUTH BEHIND THE LIES IF PRESENTED AS IT ACTUALLY
        HAPPENED!

        Liz
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006
          Hi Liz,
          Thanks for the information. I know that the ECK dogma has it
          that when the "ROD" is passed that this is for the 12th/14th
          or LEM/Mahanta. It's funny that the LEM is a 12th/13th on the
          outer and the Mahanta is a 14th on the inner. Or, is the LEM
          just not a FULL Mahanta until the BLUE CARNATION is brought
          out for all to see. Funny how 9ths can't say that they are 9ths
          but 12ths and 14ths can! Has any LEM stated that he was now
          a 13th and close to being the 'FULL' Mahanta? I doubt it since
          there have only been three- PT, DG, and HK. However, JK
          almost became a Co-LEM (12th), better luck in 2007! LOL!.

          Prometheus

          "Elizabeth wrote:

[...]
          KENT:

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006
            Hi Liz,
            The ECK family with the 5th Initiate five year old
            could have been the Klemps.

            However, this would have to have taken place
            around 1977 in order for Klemp's daughter to
            be the five year old. It's very possible that this
            was the Klemp family since the five year old was
            also a female. Hmmmmmm. Interesting how
            "special" those initiations were for the beginning
            club members! It's obvious that the ECK Higher
            Initiations have ONLY equated to a Higher Con
            rather than to a Higher Consciousness!<smile>

            Prometheus