The Mind Numbing Flow of the Information Age!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2006
      Hi, Skard and All!

      Skard in message #1894, Re: Is There a Path, posed a good question:

      "How do we gracefully balance our duty to critical thinking with the
      mind numbing flow of the information age coming at us no matter
      what?"

      1. I believe that we have to be careful of the resources we are
      enticed to use. There are so many people publishing all kinds of
      books, ideas and theories, and of course, to sell them, the books
      are promoted as being authentic and honest. Well, the intent might
      well be to be honest, but one has to ask where this person got his
      information and how well schooled and researched is the material?
      Just because a book is published, it doesn't mean that the
      information contained within is true. Also, listening to the daily
      news broadcasts can really drive a person crazy--I always marvel at
      the pretty girl broadcasters who will describe a deadly head-on
      collision with a smile on their face. And doesn't it seem that the
      emphasis is on the scarey and the negative--"hi, folks, here's
      something new for you to worry about!"

      2. We need to learn to think for ourselves more and not be so
      readily convinced of others' opinions. The experience in eckankar is
      a ready example of allowing some other being to take over our free
      thinking. Surrendering to another, a mahanta, a husband, a wife, a
      dictator or whatever, is not the easy path in life. It is the
      miserable path.

      3. One must have an open mind and to also practice re-evaluation of
      past, present and possible future experiences.

      These are just a few things off the top of my head, but perhaps a
      better way to deal with this "mind numbing flow" of information is
      to shut it off from time to time. Relax some too and enjoy--I don't
      think the attitude of viewing planet Earth as an ash can helps one
      very much. There is the positive thinking concept that can be
      applied in even the darkest and most negative circumstances. In
      other words, quit complaining and appreciate what one has while
      dealing with what problems one incurs along the way! : )