The Holy Science by Swami Sri Yukteswar

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
      Hi All,

      I've mentioned this book before and a quote in its introduction on
      page vi, where it mentions the "Mahanta (monastery head)" of Buddha
      Gaya, Bihar. The title of MAHANTA is not exclusive to Eckankar! Sri
      Yukteswar (Paramahansa Yogananda's master) mentions that he is
      writing this book at "Allahabad" (where Twitch claims his master
      Sudar Singh comes from) and also mentions the "Kumbha Mela" (see the
      Eckankar Lexicon). What a coincidence! There's much more though and
      it's very enlightening!

      I decided to read this book and have found that it is quite
      interesting. I can see where Twitchell used this book along
      with "The Path of the Masters" by Julian P. Johnson in order to
      create his Eckankar religion. I highly recommend that anyone
      purchase this book if they are able to do so, in part, to see the
      history of Eckankar but to also extract some Truth from its contents.

      The Sutras in this book are very interesting and I do see that there
      is value and truth contained here for many spiritual seekers. But,
      personally (from my point-of-view), I do see some flaws in thinking
      or perception within the book. Afterall, this book is presented
      within an Indian and Hindu influence and context. Truth is usually
      re-interpreted by different groups with a specific relevance that
      works best for the social/political and spiritual evolution of that
      society (grouping of Souls). Therefore, the spiritual student/Master
      must chose and separate the wheat from the chaff. One must use
      discernment in order to extract these universal truths which must be
      applied to the individual Soul's situation and circumstances in any
      given moment. An interim guru would suffice the spiritual student
      until the student becomes the Guru of/to Self with a Oneness of/to
      Spirit. Duality and non-Duality is still up for debate however.
      Perhaps, it's just a matter of semantics!

      Anyway, I'll quote three of these sutras (precepts). If you have the
      Eckankar Lexicon you can look up some of the Hindu words and
      definitions that Twitchell, Gross and Klemp seem to parrot.

      Sutra 6: "The Atom, under the influence of Chit (universal
      knowledge) forms the Chitta or the calm state of mind, which when
      spiritualized is called Buddhi, Intelligence. Its opposite is Manas,
      Mind in which lives the Jiva: the self with Ahamkara, Ego, the idea
      of separate existence."

      Sutras 15, 16: "Just as the objects seen in our dreams are found,
      when we awake, to be insubstantial, so our waking perceptions are
      likewise unreal--a matter of inference only."

      Sutra 18: "Emancipation (Kaivalya) is obtained when one realizes the
      oneness of his Self with the Universal Self, the Supreme Reality."

      *Note: These sutras offer only a peek into the explainations and
      perceptions the author gives when examining each one. Although most
      of these concepts are familiar, however, I am finding that the
      details and specifics are bringing to light new insights. I am able
      to see the same information that Twitchell used except now I see
      from my own perspective rather than from his, and without the
      Eckankar influence. Yet, I can also see the that influence, but
      beyond it. This book has become quite interesting and enjoyable!
      But, I also know that I will never follow another religion again.
      Spiritual freedom is like skating away on the ice of a new day!

      Prometheus
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2005
        Hello Prometheus,

        > I've mentioned this book before and a quote in its introduction on
        > page vi, where it mentions the "Mahanta (monastery head)" of Buddha
        > Gaya, Bihar. The title of MAHANTA is not exclusive to Eckankar! Sri
        > Yukteswar (Paramahansa Yogananda's master) mentions that he is
        > writing this book at "Allahabad" (where Twitch claims his master
        > Sudar Singh comes from) and also mentions the "Kumbha Mela" (see
        the
        > Eckankar Lexicon). What a coincidence! There's much more though and
        > it's very enlightening!

        This is very interesting. I was always thinking that it came
        from "Mahatma" and, as this title was already taken, Paul Twitchell
        took "Mahanta" which is quite close. I didn't know that "Mahanta" was
        actually mentioned in a book! I must say that Paul Twitchell was
        really very clever in his way to read and copy all those books! :-)

        > The Sutras in this book are very interesting and I do see that
        there
        > is value and truth contained here for many spiritual seekers. But,
        > personally (from my point-of-view), I do see some flaws in thinking
        > or perception within the book. Afterall, this book is presented
        > within an Indian and Hindu influence and context. Truth is usually
        > re-interpreted by different groups with a specific relevance that
        > works best for the social/political and spiritual evolution of that
        > society (grouping of Souls). Therefore, the spiritual
        student/Master
        > must chose and separate the wheat from the chaff. One must use
        > discernment in order to extract these universal truths which must
        be
        > applied to the individual Soul's situation and circumstances in any
        > given moment. An interim guru would suffice the spiritual student
        > until the student becomes the Guru of/to Self with a Oneness of/to
        > Spirit. Duality and non-Duality is still up for debate however.
        > Perhaps, it's just a matter of semantics!

        This is for sure that the truths contained therein are used for a
        specific environment, Indian and Hindu in this case. I think it is ok
        to re-interpret them for use in another context, i. e. for people
        with Christian background. I think that we have to become aware that
        every organization here has flaws because the pure teaching, when it
        comes out into this world, isn't pure any more as there are so many
        understandings and interpretations. Or at least, there will be as
        soon as the teaching is out for some time.

        Discernment is absolutely necessary. I think that the real truth is
        only within ourselves, it is the divine part in us. We all have to
        discover this part and bring it into life, to live it in our
        individual way. An interim guru is ok because he can help a lot. And
        a real guru is the one who can let go the student with love as soon
        as he/she is mature enough!

        > Anyway, I'll quote three of these sutras (precepts). If you have
        the
        > Eckankar Lexicon you can look up some of the Hindu words and
        > definitions that Twitchell, Gross and Klemp seem to parrot.
        >
        > Sutra 6: "The Atom, under the influence of Chit (universal
        > knowledge) forms the Chitta or the calm state of mind, which when
        > spiritualized is called Buddhi, Intelligence. Its opposite is
        Manas,
        > Mind in which lives the Jiva: the self with Ahamkara, Ego, the idea
        > of separate existence."

        Very interesting! Ahamkara / Ahankara ?

        > Sutras 15, 16: "Just as the objects seen in our dreams are found,
        > when we awake, to be insubstantial, so our waking perceptions are
        > likewise unreal--a matter of inference only."
        >
        > Sutra 18: "Emancipation (Kaivalya) is obtained when one realizes
        the
        > oneness of his Self with the Universal Self, the Supreme Reality."
        >
        > *Note: These sutras offer only a peek into the explainations and
        > perceptions the author gives when examining each one. Although most
        > of these concepts are familiar, however, I am finding that the
        > details and specifics are bringing to light new insights. I am able
        > to see the same information that Twitchell used except now I see
        > from my own perspective rather than from his, and without the
        > Eckankar influence. Yet, I can also see the that influence, but
        > beyond it. This book has become quite interesting and enjoyable!
        > But, I also know that I will never follow another religion again.
        > Spiritual freedom is like skating away on the ice of a new day!

        I can imagine that it is enjoyable to read this book! I might put it
        on my book list! :-)And yes, there's no need to follow another
        religion again. There are so wonderful books outside there, and as
        they don't need any followers here, they don't need any curses or
        threats either. How wonderful after all the stuff in the Shariyat! :-)