Reply to Skardicus

  • makiztor
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2006
      Prior to 1939:

      1522 - "[....] Going back even further, I came to the founder of the
      Sikh religion, Guru Nanak, whom Paul has written about many times.
      Guru Nanak's most famous piece is known as the Japji. Written around
      1522, it was chosen by Guru Arjan to begin the first edition of the
      Guru Granth Sahib, the sacred Bible of the Sikhs. The Japji opens
      with these words from the first stanza:

          Ek onkar satnam karta purakhu

         Obviously, as others have pointed out, it is likely that Paul's
      name for ECKANKAR came from this poem of Nanak's. A translation of
      the whole opening stanza goes like this:

      The One Reality, the True Name, the Eternal and Creative
      Source of all, [....]

      [Based on: Dialogue in the Age of Criticism, Chap. 12]

      Skardicus? How old is the "source" for this poem? Older than 1939?
      This was one (only one) of the examples for "The Path" to which I had
      earlier referred.

      Personally, I don't absolutely agree with the translation of that
      poem as it appears. Nevertheless, as I have explained so many times
      before, I consider what exists between Earth and Heaven to be
      a "path". The word co- (with, together, joint, or jointly) worker
      with God implies to me the idea of a "path" to God.

      It doesn't matter to me whether a word is spelled Ek onkar or
      Eckankar if both remark about a "path" to God. This is what I see.
      It is my opinion. I can't force you to accept it. Nor do I feel that
      I need to.

      BTW. Can you tell me which words in the sentence:

      Ek onkar satnam karta purakhu

      correspond with which words in the English sentence: