Re: Optimism and Faith

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi Liz and Mish,
      Thanks Mish for proving that people can have Soul Travel experiences
      without needing a Mahanta! Your Soul Travel experience greatly
      surpasses many of the "eck" stories that I have read. Thanks Liz for
      the information on Michael J. Fox and his brave struggle with
      Parkinson's Disease. Michael's example and views on Optimism and
      Faith are very enlightening.

      Prometheus

      mishmisha wrote:

      Good Morning, All!

      I wanted to pull up Liz's post on Michael J. Fox's comments about
      what he has learned regarding optimism and faith. My aunt died from
      Parkinson's several years ago, so I have some personal knowledge of
      how the disease wreck's a physical body and the toll it takes on the
      person so afflicted as well as the family members who witness what
      the disease does to a loved one.

      BTW, Rush Limbaugh doesn't know what he's talking about with his
      nasty remarks about Michael J. Fox's condition. Several years ago,
      for a time, I had a "Flush Rush" bummer sticker on my car, that came
      to me via NOW! LOL!

      Anyway, I want to share a soul travel experience I had with
      my "dying" aunt. On the morning of her death, I had planned to visit
      her at the hospital, but instead, before waking that morning and
      beginning my day, I dreamed that I had arrived at her hospital room.
      It was an extremely vivid dream. When I opened the door to her room,
      I found her standing alone (for the first time in several years),
      fully dressed, fixing her hair and putting on make-up. She looked
      wonderful and I was so surprised to see her this way when her body
      had deteriated so much--she had reached the point where she unable
      to even swallow or cough. I couldn't help but blurt out how amazed
      I was to see her standing up and looking beautiful--I said something
      like, "I am so happy! You look well!" My aunt turned to face me with
      a smile on her face, and said, "I am well." It was a
      wonderful "dream" visiting my aunt this way. Of course, later in the
      morning, when I was awake, I received the news that she had died--
      and I then correlated her dying moments to my soul travel
      experience. I was given the Gift of knowing that she had transformed
      into another plane in which her physical afflictions were no longer
      attached to her and she was now freed from their encumberances.

      Interesting, too, that this soul travel experience occurred without
      the presence or guidance of any master, such as a mahanta or eck
      master, etc.--I directly connected to my aunt--it was just she and
      I.

      I wanted to share my soul travel experience, because this treasured
      experience of mine occurred long before I knew anything about
      Eckankar and well before I was "consciously" trying to find a
      particular spiritual path that would "work" for me. I recall someone
      recently asked in a post here what it is that former eckists are
      replacing eckankar with--do we slide over to the Ford Johnson
      bandwagon and go on from there? What are we looking for now? Hooking
      up with another "spiritual path" would be one of the last things I'd
      be doing. Once we can see there is no need to follow a master (I
      should clarify that F. Johnson is not setting himself up as a
      master, though, with his group), we are free! There is no need to
      search for another spiritual/religious path or leader.

      However, we can improve our skills and learn to focus on our own
      personal experiences and what those teach us. We can also learn from
      the many "gurus" who willingly share like Michael J. Fox has done in
      telling what they have discovered through their own experiences
      about faith. We can, if we like, compare what others have learned
      with our own. But in the final analysis, we learn that our path is
      individual and while the discoveries can be similar to what others
      have found, the experiences are uniquely our own.

      So what did I learn while in eckankar as I reflect on it now? I
      learned that I took a turn off of my personal path and tried to
      travel down a dead end high way that another (a fake master)
      suckered me on to. Once I realized my mistake, (after reading Ford
      Johnson's "Confessions of a God Seeker), I had to back track off of
      that wrong turn and put myself back to where I was before--which
      means I follow no one. It is okay to learn from the experiences
      others share, but I know now that by no means should I surrender my
      own abilities to someone who claims he is a master over me. This has
      been a good lesson.

      As Michael J. Fox so wisely said in his interview, "I do believe
      that there is some kind of truth, some kind of ideal, and that
      people feel best when operating under a set of ethics, as opposed to
      morals. People just doing the right thing, treating people the way
      they'd want to be treated, being honest, being fair, not being
      deceptive and not taking what's not theirs. I know I feel best
      operating that way, and so that's my faith."

      Yes, Michael J. Fox is a guru as Liz said--he is like each of us in
      that he can be a teacher one moment and a student the next. This is
      a true guru--someone who generously and openly shares something of
      value he has learned with others. We can all learn from one another.

      Mish

      Elizabeth wrote:

      Sharing this morning, something that I read on a friend's blog. It
      expresses how I have felt since discovering my own higher self. And
      now I believe Michael J. Fox is my new Guru! LOL He is such a
      trooper, I admire him for his strength and honesty.

      I don't need to understand God, or what ever.... Michael J. Fox
      sums it up pretty clear and simple in this last paragraph! Words to
      think about... :-)

      Hugs
      Liz

      Michael J. Fox speaks on optimism and faith!

      When you lose things--for example with my acting--I counted so much
      on being able to bounce around and do all that physical stuff, which
      I can't do now. And so that's a loss. I mourn the lack of pure
      spontaneity in my life, the ability to just say "I'm going to do
      this--now." But what I found was that if you just kind of relax for
      a second and see what comes into that space, something will come
      into it. There are no vacuums. And when you see that happen, it's
      amazing. So if you are in a place in your life, whether it's
      Parkinson's or whatever it is, you can fret about it all you want
      but at a certain point, you just have to relax. And that opens all
      kinds of doors for you.

      Actually, I'm writing a book about optimism. I do believe that there
      is some kind of truth, some kind of ideal, and that people feel best
      when operating under a set of ethics, as opposed to morals. People
      just doing the right thing, treating people the way they'd want to
      be treated, being honest, being fair, not being deceptive and not
      taking what's not theirs. I know I feel best operating that way, and
      so that's my faith.

      from The Ties That Bind, Ladies Home Journal, Sept. 2006