Finding Out Who You Are

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      From Jed Mckenna's "Spiritually Incorrect Enlightenment," I found this
      bit of enlightenment:

      "Realizing that you have no idea who you are is the beginning of
      finding out who you are. The idea of the individual self, valid and
      separate, unravels very quickly under any serious scrutiny. All
      beliefs do. What takes time and effort is becoming the person who
      chooses to put the idea of self under such scrutiny, and making sense
      of what's left after the belief is gone."

      It seems that some of the discussions on ESA stem from the scrutiny of
      self, now that our belief in eckankar and man-made religions is gone.
      It is not a lost state, but a real beginning. : )

      Mish
    • Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hello Mish and all,

        I just love Jed McKenna's Book "Spiritual Enlightenment, The
        Damnedest Thing". His was the first book I read, post Eckankar.
        There are so many quoted paragraphs I would love to share here from
        his book, but maybe the following is good enough to ponder for
        now? :-)

        "Five words: Ask yourself "Who am I?" Five words that need no
        explanation, no amplification, no eludidation. Five words that grant
        self-reliance and self-determination. But a complete spiritual
        teaching that fits on a matchbook cover is not what anyone really
        wants. Self-reliance is not what anyone really wants. By what
        mechanism does such a simple thing as self-inquiry get mangled and
        bloated beyond all recognition?

        Ego. Always ego.

        The fundamental conflict in the spiritual quest is that ego desires
        spiritual enlightenment, but ego can never achieve spiritual
        enlightenment. Self cannot achieve no-self. That's why anyone who
        wants to sell enlightenment must first reduce it to more manageable
        proportions - to something ego can achieve. Enlightenment Lite -
        Less filling, taste great.

        Enlightenment.

        The fundamental conflicts can only be resolved by altering the
        equation. Yes, it's cheating, but everyone's okay with it. Spiritual
        enlightenment gets redefined as something attainable by ego, and now
        the equation works to everyone's satisfaction. Ego gets to continue
        the noble quest and a thriving spiritual industry continues to
        thrive. Of course, no one gets the grail, but if you understand the
        fundamental conflict, you'll see that no one really wanted it anyway.

        The quest for the grail is about the quest, not the grail.

        LISTEN!

        Here's all you need to know about enlightenment:

        Sit down, shut up, and ask yourself what's true until you know.
        That's it. That's the whole deal - a complete teaching of
        enlightenment, a complete practice. If you ever have any questions
        or problems - no matter what the question or problem is - the answer
        is always exactly the same:

        Sit down, shut up, and ask yourself what's true until you know.

        In other words, go jump off a cliff.

        Don't go near the cliff and contemplate jumping off. Don't read a
        book about jumping off. Don't study the art and science of jumping
        off. Don't join a support group for jumping off. Don't write poems
        about jumping off. Don't suck up to someone else who jumped off.

        JUST JUMP!"