Re: Reply to Mish

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello, Etznab!

      Thanks for your reply. The thing about Twitchell's plagiarisms is
      that few people copy word for word the writings of others and then
      sign their name to it and owning it. It becomes a bigger issue when
      it becomes a business, plagiarizing the words of others, as in the
      case of James Frey and "A Million Little Pieces." I think Twitchell
      thought he could get away with his con because the Internet was not
      in existence and the scrutiny of such behavior was not so easy as it
      is today.

      Regarding man made religions, well, yes, they are full of
      plagiarisms and untruths, much like eckankar. If one is not
      embracing any religion, it doesn't really impact one's spirituality
      what "religious" con men did way back in history, beyond just
      knowing that it historically trails to the beginning of the
      creations of the man made religions. Just because many are doing or
      have done unethical or deceptive things in the name of their
      religion, it doesn't excuse it happening or make it right. As a
      parent, I never allowed my children to believe because everyone is
      doing this or that it is okay--of course, I was protecting them from
      following the herd and trying to help them instill discernment and
      responsibility.

      I do agree that there are inherent misunderstandings in the
      dialogue, but that is a normal process in discussing anything with
      anyone. I run into this on a daily basis just navigating around in
      the world and interacting with others. It is good to try to make our
      thoughts and communications as clear as we can.

      You certainly have some interesting perspectives. I appreciate your
      sharing and being open-minded to the group here, and I'm trying to
      do the same with your posts as well, even if it seems we are most
      likely at odds. It's okay because we are entitled to our differing
      perspectives that are certainly based on our individual experiences
      and where we are at this particular time in the way we are viewing
      them.

      Well, I need to take a break from the discussion so if you post a
      reply and if I don't reply or acknowledge it, it just means I'm
      resting from this discussion!

      Thanks,
      Mish

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "makiztor"
      <etznab@...> wrote:

      > Mish, it was roughly ten years ago when I started to go deeper
      at
      > researching the history (etymology) of words.
      >
      > Mish wrote:
      >
      > Regarding the shariyat and reading it word by word in order to
      > understand its meaning, the difficulty comes from Twitchell's
      > plagiarizing and altering other people's thoughts and adapting
      these
      > to his own private philosophy, while taking them out of context to
      > do so.
      >
      > Etznab responds: I believe it is human nature to do just this.
      That
      > to an extent everybody is prone to plagiarize, adapt to their own
      > philosophy, and take out of context what we consider to be other
      > peoples thoughts and words. Follow the records to history and you
      see
      > this all the time. Especially religious history!
      >
      > Mish wrote:
      >
      > Therefore, IMO, this Echo or Sound Current is not the same as
      Heaven

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        In a message dated 11/1/06 4:41:06 PM Central Standard Time, mishmisha9@... writes:

        Just because many are doing or have done unethical or deceptive things in the name of their religion, it doesn't excuse it happening or make it right.

        Etznab: I see what you are saying here Mish, and I won't say that I disagree. My only consolation has been to look for answers and the reasons why people do things.
        It doesn't change what has been done, but it lets me see how things are connected to other things. I am not trying to be apologetic for any religion by saying this. I would not dig or continue to dig so deeply into history if it was not something that I wanted to better understand.
           I can empathize with you and others to an extent. I am being fair and honest by saying this because I may not know a lot about what you have come across and found. And if I did then I would probably empathize more.
           In the future I will try not to mention the E-word in my posts, but instead try to approach these topics from another direction. And I know that you and Prometheus have suggested that I look at more of the posts on this board and that it will help me to understand where you're coming from.
           You are not the only one who might need a rest from this discussion, or something like that. I can hardly take it anymore myself. If I were not temporarily layed off and between assignments (you were right Liz) then I wouldn't have had the stamina to post and respond as much as I did.

        Etznab
      • skardicus
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
          <etznab@...> wrote:

          > We can debate "my" Eckankar vs. "your" Eckankar for eternity.

          Unless you find the "eck-xit" sign and go through the door

          I see
          > this happening all the time at church. Eckankar church! Everybody has
          > there own Eckankar is the saying. So what is wrong with "my" creation
          > vs. Eckankar?

          As my dim memory serves me multiple translation/regurgitations of
          eck-think were seldom discouraged as long as you didn't get "off
          message". Message = what you were required to believe to be validated
          by the engineers.

          > Because if you are talking about the outer recorded
          > history, the literal creations of Eckankar [1965-2006] have not, and/or
          > are not 100% credible. Not to mention accurate - according to actual
          > history. Would you not tend to agree?

          For me this is a secondary item to focus on for those who needed some
          evidence to achieve escape velocity from the "Religion". Though it's
          the material that is most debated/discussed because we can all
          reference it. To me, the eck books, tapes, seminars are slieights of
          hand (lowly parlor trick) - I prefer to watch the magician himself -
          ask questions like "Qui Bono" (Who Benefits).

          I probably met with Harry 8-10 times in my hey-day. Up close,
          personal, chit-chatty, not just some briefy "Hi Baraka Bashad" Even
          introduced him once onstage one Saturday night. Lets look at Harry
          through time:

          This first video reminds me of the Harry that I knew:

          http://newharry.notlong.com

          This second one is almost spooky:

          http://newharry1.notlong.com

          Probably my most profound memory of Harry was at a DC Seminar in ...85
          I think. The hub-ub of Darwin Gross was still causing pain for some
          eckists that didn't understand even a little bit how THEIR master (he
          was my first "eck master")had been quicked out of the club.

          It was Q&A time "Ask the Master" for the audience (bet they don't do
          that anymore). This woman gets up and a microphone is brought to her.
          She asks something like this "Is there some kind of retirement plan
          for past LEMs? Will we (eckankar and eck-money) take care of them?"
          Now I don't know about you readers out there but hub-ub or not -
          sounds like this woman had a charitable concern about a human being
          that was once proclaimed God-of-Eckankar and eckists flocked to, pray
          to, etc.

          Harry's response was this: "I wondered when you first stood up why I
          could not see your light. Now I know why. Your light is out. Sit
          down. Your light is out." I was 20 years old when he said this.
          Made quite an impression. I was sitting with about 15 of my friends
          and we all looked at each other with "what the fuck!?" eyes. The
          woman was my then-alive Grandma's age.

          Now - just have to wonder - if I was god-on-earth and could step into
          the ocean of love and mercy at will, held the rod of power and so on -
          would I berate an old lady - or flex my God-Muscles and heal her mind
          if she was damaged goods? I'm kind of thinking since I used my
          God-Muscles earlier that year to dump my wife and turn my hot-blonde
          secretary into my new hot-smoking wife - I'm feeling pretty good - I'd
          probably heal her.

          And not to resurrect dirty religious relics of America's past but
          banging your secretary just sounds a little too much like James Baker
          to me.

          Slieght-of-hand is WHERE the magician wants your attention. Ignore
          that purple corporate hostile take-over looming behind him.

          So for me - I think we are all responsible for our triumphs and
          mistakes be that an action, inaction, word, misspeak, poor
          translation, etc. If someone frequently mis-delivers their thoughts
          in terms of what they say then either they are poorly trained or
          misleading.

          In my opinion - if you are a leader then "poor training" isn't a
          wieghty excuse.

          Skard

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
            skardicus wrote:
            I probably met with Harry 8-10 times in my hey-day. Up close,
            personal, chit-chatty, not just some briefy "Hi Baraka Bashad" Even
            introduced him once onstage one Saturday night. Lets look at Harry
            through time:

            *ME: I did have a 2-3 minute conversation with HK once, but would
            normally just chat with Bob Lawton who was in charge of Harry's
            security and entourage. Sometimes a few of us would meet up with
            them later after his talk. I had lunch with Marge once (I know - big
            deal!). It's funny how different Eck leaders have their own
            groupies. Jerry Leonard was even seen as a guru to some Eckists! LOL!

            This first video reminds me of the Harry that I knew:

            http://newharry.notlong.com

            *ME: [I gave this video clip a One Star rating]: )

            This second one is almost spooky:

            http://newharry1.notlong.com

            *ME: [I also gave this clip a One Star rating. Yes, it is sort of
            spooky! His Lights are out!]: ))

            Probably my most profound memory of Harry was at a DC Seminar
            in ...85 I think. The hub-ub of Darwin Gross was still causing pain
            for some eckists that didn't understand even a little bit how THEIR
            master (he was my first "eck master")had been quicked out of the
            club.

            It was Q&A time "Ask the Master" for the audience (bet they don't do
            that anymore). This woman gets up and a microphone is brought to her.
            She asks something like this "Is there some kind of retirement plan
            for past LEMs? Will we (eckankar and eck-money) take care of them?"

            *ME: Yes! I remember her! She was sitting in the right-hand section
            about 10 rows back and I think that she was wearing a blue dress.

            Now I don't know about you readers out there but hub-ub or not -
            sounds like this woman had a charitable concern about a human being
            that was once proclaimed God-of-Eckankar and eckists flocked to, pray
            to, etc.

            Harry's response was this: "I wondered when you first stood up why I
            could not see your light. Now I know why. Your light is out. Sit
            down. Your light is out." I was 20 years old when he said this.
            Made quite an impression. I was sitting with about 15 of my friends
            and we all looked at each other with "what the fuck!?" eyes. The
            woman was my then-alive Grandma's age.

            *ME: I know what you mean! Why I stayed in Eckankar after hearing
            this unloving and mean spirited response, by Klemp, is beyond me! I
            guess that I rationalized away any common sense. What you see and
            hear is what you get, but Eckists seem to imagine that there is more
            good behind his mask.

            Now - just have to wonder - if I was god-on-earth and could step into
            the ocean of love and mercy at will, held the rod of power and so
            on - would I berate an old lady - or flex my God-Muscles and heal
            her mind if she was damaged goods? I'm kind of thinking since I used
            my God-Muscles earlier that year to dump my wife and turn my hot-
            blonde secretary into my new hot-smoking wife - I'm feeling pretty
            good - I'd probably heal her.

            *ME: Right! Why didn't Klemp send her some Love and healing Eck
            energy from the Mahanta Consciousness! Actually, Klemp was the one
            who asked if anyone had any questions. If HK can't handle the heat
            then he should stay out of the kitchen! It is no wonder that Eckists
            are afraid to ask tough questions anymore. He's conditioned Eckists
            to become silent whimps.

            And not to resurrect dirty religious relics of America's past but
            banging your secretary just sounds a little too much like James Baker
            to me.

            *ME: Yes, Joan (Cross) was taking trips with HK for quite awhile.
            When did they get married? Does she have any children from her
            previous marriage? Is her ex-husband and/or children Eckists?
            Inquiring minds want to know. Or, are these too, like Eckankar
            finances, a secret?

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
              --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "skardicus"
              <skardicus@...> wrote:
              <snip>
[...]

              her mind f she was damaged goods? I'm kind of thinking since I used
[...]

              Hi, Skard and All!

              I had heard this story from someone else and I might have read
              a "toned" down version of it in one of HK's transcripts. I wish I
              hadn'tossed all those books! : )

              The sad thing is this is not an isolated incidence of Klemp's
              cruelty toward his chelas and/or others. The temporary postal worker
              story (09-2003 H.I. Letter) has become a classic. If you look again
              at what Klemp has shared in his autobiographies, there are more
              indicators of the dark side of the eck leader's personality which
              demonstrate he has not learned well what he preaches about Divine
              Love.

              Mish
            • ctecvie
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006
                Hello Mish,

                > Hi, Skard and All!
                >
                > I had heard this story from someone else and I might have read
                > a "toned" down version of it in one of HK's transcripts. I wish I
                > hadn'tossed all those books! : )

                **** It's in Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God Seeker", as
                well.