Optimism and Faith

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      Sharing this morning, something that I read on a friend's blog. It
      expresses how I have felt since discovering my own higher self. And
      now I believe Michael J. Fox is my new Guru! LOL He is such a
      trooper, I admire him for his strength and honesty.

      I don't need to understand God, or what ever.... Michael J. Fox
      sums it up pretty clear and simple in this last paragraph! Words to
      think about... :-)

      Hugs
      Liz

      Michael J. Fox speaks on optimism and faith!

      When you lose things--for example with my acting--I counted so much
      on being able to bounce around and do all that physical stuff, which
      I can't do now. And so that's a loss. I mourn the lack of pure
      spontaneity in my life, the ability to just say "I'm going to do
      this--now." But what I found was that if you just kind of relax for
      a second and see what comes into that space, something will come
      into it. There are no vacuums. And when you see that happen, it's
      amazing. So if you are in a place in your life, whether it's
      Parkinson's or whatever it is, you can fret about it all you want
      but at a certain point, you just have to relax. And that opens all
      kinds of doors for you.

      Actually, I'm writing a book about optimism. I do believe that there
      is some kind of truth, some kind of ideal, and that people feel best
      when operating under a set of ethics, as opposed to morals. People
      just doing the right thing, treating people the way they'd want to
      be treated, being honest, being fair, not being deceptive and not
      taking what's not theirs. I know I feel best operating that way, and
      so that's my faith.

      from The Ties That Bind, Ladies Home Journal, Sept. 2006
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
        Good Morning, All!

        I wanted to pull up Liz's post on Michael J. Fox's comments about
        what he has learned regarding optimism and faith. My aunt died from
        Parkinson's several years ago, so I have some personal knowledge of
        how the disease wreck's a physical body and the toll it takes on the
        person so afflicted as well as the family members who witness what
        the disease does to a loved one. BTW, Rush Limbaugh doesn't know
        what he's talking about with his nasty remarks about Michael J.
        Fox's condition. Several years ago, for a time, I had a "Flush Rush"
        bummer sticker on my car, that came to me via NOW! LOL!

        Anyway, I want to share a soul travel experience I had with
        my "dying" aunt. On the morning of her death, I had planned to visit
        her at the hospital, but instead, before waking that morning and
        beginning my day, I dreamed that I had arrived at her hospital room.
        It was an extremely vivid dream. When I opened the door to her room,
        I found her standing alone (for the first time in several years),
        fully dressed, fixing her hair and putting on make-up. She looked
        wonderful and I was so surprised to see her this way when her body
        had deteriated so much--she had reached the point where she unable
        to even swallow or cough. I couldn't help but blurt out how amazed
        I was to see her standing up and looking beautiful--I said something
        like, "I am so happy! You look well!" My aunt turned to face me with
        a smile on her face, and said, "I am well." It was a
        wonderful "dream" visiting my aunt this way. Of course, later in the
        morning, when I was awake, I received the news that she had died--
        and I then correlated her dying moments to my soul travel
        experience. I was given the Gift of knowing that she had transformed
        into another plane in which her physical afflictions were no longer
        attached to her and she was now freed from their encumberances.
        Interesting, too, that this soul travel experience occurred without
        the presence or guidance of any master, such as a mahanta or eck
        master, etc.--I directly connected to my aunt--it was just she and
        I.

        I wanted to share my soul travel experience, because this treasured
        experience of mine occurred long before I knew anything about
        Eckankar and well before I was "consciously" trying to find a
        particular spiritual path that would "work" for me. I recall someone
        recently asked in a post here what it is that former eckists are
        replacing eckankar with--do we slide over to the Ford Johnson
        bandwagon and go on from there? What are we looking for now? Hooking
        up with another "spiritual path" would be one of the last things I'd
        be doing. Once we can see there is no need to follow a master (I
        should clarify that F. Johnson is not setting himself up as a
        master, though, with his group), we are free! There is no need to
        search for another spiritual/religious path or leader. However, we
        can improve our skills and learn to focus on our own personal
        experiences and what those teach us. We can also learn from the
        many "gurus" who willingly share like Michael J. Fox has done in
        telling what they have discovered through their own experiences
        about faith. We can, if we like, compare what others have learned
        with our own. But in the final analysis, we learn that our path is
        individual and while the discoveries can be similar to what others
        have found, the experiences are uniquely our own.

        So what did I learn while in eckankar as I reflect on it now? I
        learned that I took a turn off of my personal path and tried to
        travel down a dead end high way that another (a fake master)
        suckered me on to. Once I realized my mistake, (after reading Ford
        Johnson's "Confessions of a God Seeker), I had to back track off of
        that wrong turn and put myself back to where I was before--which
        means I follow no one. It is okay to learn from the experiences
        others share, but I know now that by no means should I surrender my
        own abilities to someone who claims he is a master over me. This has
        been a good lesson.

        As Michael J. Fox so wisely said in his interview, "I do believe
        that there is some kind of truth, some kind of ideal, and that
        people feel best when operating under a set of ethics, as opposed to
        morals. People just doing the right thing, treating people the way
        they'd want to be treated, being honest, being fair, not being
        deceptive and not taking what's not theirs. I know I feel best
        operating that way, and so that's my faith."

        Yes, Michael J. Fox is a guru as Liz said--he is like each of us in
        that he can be a teacher one moment and a student the next. This is
        a true guru--someone who generously and openly shares something of
        value he has learned with others. We can all learn from one another.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hi Liz and Mish,
          Thanks Mish for proving that people can have Soul Travel experiences
          without needing a Mahanta! Your Soul Travel experience greatly
          surpasses many of the "eck" stories that I have read. Thanks Liz for
          the information on Michael J. Fox and his brave struggle with
          Parkinson's Disease. Michael's example and views on Optimism and
          Faith are very enlightening.

          Prometheus

          mishmisha wrote:

[...]

          Mish