What did it for you> - Update

  • divawhitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      The individual in question is my husband. When we were dating, he
      told me about eckankar and gave me a couple of books to read. Of
      course, I read them because I wanted to know more about this
      wonderful man I'd met. (He really is.) Although the books were so
      much fluff, I didn't have a real problem with the whole thing. And
      then, after we got married, I was snooping around on the internet
      and found David Lane's site. I was appalled by what I found. I
      thought there was no way someone as smart as he could sincerely
      believe in any philosophy after finding out it was/is a total
      fraud. So, after printing out scads of information, I brought it
      all home to my hubby. His reaction was that the Kal placed that
      stuff on the internet to draw people away from the Truth and that I
      couldn't believe everything I read online. OK, so I set about
      gathering materials and checking the plagiarisms myself, bought and
      read Ford's book. I've kept everything in my closet, hidden. Fast
      forward two years, my husband has been going through an incredibly
      rough patch lately and has been questioning his faith, progress,
      yadda, yadda, yadda and I wonder if now would be a good time
      to "out" my findings. Or would it shatter him and bring him even
      further down? I really appreciate each of you who took the time to
      respond to my query. I'm not expecting him to follow the same
      spiritual path as myself (I'm a Christian) and I don't preach at
      him. But, for mercy's sake, at least follow something that isn't
      piece-mealed together from every major orthodox religion worldwide!
      Even Christians are told to test everything and hold fast to the good
      (that which is true)! Eckankar doesn't give its followers the same
      right; the power to question authority and think for themselves.
      That's the biggest tragedy, in my opinion. The fact that otherwise
      intelligent people willingly hand over their autonomy and free will
      (not to mention gobs of money)to a glorified con-man following in
      the footsteps of another con-man. Well, I've stepped up on a soap
      box and I apologize. Thanks for listening and doing what you do.

      Whitney
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hello Whitney,

        > The individual in question is my husband. When we were dating, he
        > told me about eckankar and gave me a couple of books to read. Of
        > course, I read them because I wanted to know more about this
        > wonderful man I'd met. (He really is.)

        This is a very difficult situation indeed. And yes, he is wonderful
        for sure. Many Eckists are, and I've met wonderful people (and of
        course not so wonderful ones, too :-) ).

        > Although the books were so
        > much fluff, I didn't have a real problem with the whole thing.
        And
        > then, after we got married, I was snooping around on the internet
        > and found David Lane's site. I was appalled by what I found. I
        > thought there was no way someone as smart as he could sincerely
        > believe in any philosophy after finding out it was/is a total
        > fraud. So, after printing out scads of information, I brought it
        > all home to my hubby. His reaction was that the Kal placed that
        > stuff on the internet to draw people away from the Truth and that
        > couldn't believe everything I read online.

        You know that Eckists think that David Lane is the Kal, and they say
        so.

        > OK, so I set about
        > gathering materials and checking the plagiarisms myself, bought
        and
        > read Ford's book. I've kept everything in my closet, hidden.

        This must have been - and perhaps still is - difficult for you ...

        >Fast
        > forward two years, my husband has been going through an incredibly
        > rough patch lately and has been questioning his faith, progress,
        > yadda, yadda, yadda and I wonder if now would be a good time
        > to "out" my findings. Or would it shatter him and bring him even
        > further down?

        Difficult to say. You know that sometimes, a "crisis" is very good.
        Perhaps it would be very good to tell him what you have found. If
        you support him in his crisis, which I'm sure you are doing, then he
        can lean a bit on you. I think you will know what is right to do
        right now.

        > I really appreciate each of you who took the time to
        > respond to my query. I'm not expecting him to follow the same
        > spiritual path as myself (I'm a Christian) and I don't preach at
        > him. But, for mercy's sake, at least follow something that isn't
        > piece-mealed together from every major orthodox religion
        worldwide!
        > Even Christians are told to test everything and hold fast to the
        good
        > (that which is true)!

        Hear, hear! :-)

        > Eckankar doesn't give its followers the same
        > right; the power to question authority and think for themselves.
        > That's the biggest tragedy, in my opinion.

        You are right. This is a real tragedy. To see how intelligent and
        wonderful people are struggling to unfold themselves and do what the
        master say. Eckankar tells the chelas to "never criticize, never
        find fault". I never could understand why but have found out why
        now, of course. :-) Allowing criticism could mean that they start
        criticizing their Godman ....

        > The fact that otherwise
        > intelligent people willingly hand over their autonomy and free
        will
        > (not to mention gobs of money)to a glorified con-man following in
        > the footsteps of another con-man. Well, I've stepped up on a soap
        > box and I apologize. Thanks for listening and doing what you do.

        Don't worry about the soap box! I - and I think many of us - have
        found out by now that we did exactly that!

        Take care and the best of luck to you!
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2005
          Hello Whitney,

          I would encourage your husband to read Ford's book, and then see how
          he responds to that... at least he has you as a sounding board. But,
          he shouldn't be afraid to read the book because he can decide for
          himself if it contains Truth. I am glad that Spirit led me to Ford's
          book because it is what got me to re-think things and to finally
          leave Eckankar. I was a staunch supporter and both a "settler"
          and "explorer" (eckie leadership terms for co-ordinator/director and
          vahana), and it was quite an internal/external struggle before I
          finally came to terms with the lies and deceptions of Twitchell,
          Gross, and Klemp. Although your husband may not want to follow
          Christianity at least he will be able to seek and find his own
          Mastership/identity.

          Prometheus

          --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "divawhitt"