Re: The Spiritual Hierarchy according to the Eckankar Lexicon

  • ctecvie
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
      Hello Mish!

      > I like your comments about the spiritual hierarchy and how passive
      > eckists seem to be. It always seemed to me in discussion groups
      that
      > every problem a person had, no matter how trivial or immense, all
      > one had to do was take it to the inner/surrender it to the mahanta.
      > I could never figure out how anybody resolved anything in
      the "real"
      > world. If you were having a problem with a co-worker or boss at
      your
      > work place, all you had to do was take it to the inner--and smile
      > outwardly as though nothing was amiss, because the beloved mahanta
      > was taking care of it for you and protecting you--or I guess
      > eventually the problem would just fade away, replaced by something
      > else to take to the inner. My problem with doing this so much, it
      > seemed, that we were not really connecting with the outer at all--
      > everything was given up to the inner. No balance of the two! And it
      > seems that "life" was just passing by, wasted!

      You are right - I had this same impression, that they didn't connect
      with the real outer world. And it even seemed to me that the more
      inner experiences some people had, the less they could live their
      outer life! I remember one story that fits well into this context I
      think.

      When one eckist was in the hospital, there was a lot of noise during
      visit time because one other patient had quite a lot of visitors who,
      on top of this, stayed longer than the allowed time. This eckist
      badly needed her calm and quiet because she needed to recover from
      the surgery or whatever she had had. She wanted the visitors to leave
      so she asked the mahanta to help her. And, would you believe? A few
      minutes afterwards the doctor came and asked the visitors to leave,
      so she was very relieved.

      Well, I always thought she would have resolved that problem rather
      easily and more quickly - by asking the people directly ... :-)

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2005
        Hello, Ingrid!

        Yes, that is a good example of a person avoiding "life" situations.
        It seemed to me that many eckists had very poor social skills, and
        being in the org. didn't help them improve. But if you look at
        Harold and his personal stories, his skills have been lacking as
        well. This might be one reason why it would be difficult for some
        eckists to leave even though they are aware of the lies and
        deceptions pervasive in eckankar. In a way, some may be trapped by
        their lack of self-confidence which impedes self-responsibility. Of
        course, there are other reasons eckists will not leave, but that can
        be another discussion!