Heaven and Hell!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2006
      Hi, All!

      The following story was sent to me by a friend and I thought I would
      share it with you! I'm not sure of it's original title, but here it
      is:

      The following is an actual question given on a University of
      Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one studenT was
      so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the
      Internet, which is, of course why we now have the pleasure of
      enjoying it as well"

      Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
      (absorbs heat)?

      Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
      (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some
      variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

      First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So
      we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the
      rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume
      that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no
      souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's
      look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most
      of these religions state that if you are not a member of their
      religion (remember the astral hell threat of eckankar--my insert--
      LOL!), you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these
      religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion,
      we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates
      as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase
      exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in
      Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature
      and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to
      expand proportionately as souls are added.

      This gives two possibilities:

      1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which
      souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will
      increase until all Hell breaks loose.

      2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls
      in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell
      freezes over.

      So which is it?

      If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman
      year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,"
      and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night,
      then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is
      exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory
      is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not
      accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct. . . . leaving
      only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which
      explains why, last night, Theresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

      THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".