Re: Good Article on Cults

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6 7:20 PM
      Hi, Kaye!

      Thanks for sharing these articles from rickross.com--pretty funny
      except for the fact that many individuals fall for these idiotic
      scams. I know David Icke is popular. I saw a bit of a film clip on
      him recently. It was amazing to listen to him speaking about all
      those weird things while still maintaining a straight face. I was
      with a friend who had never heard of him before, and she couldn't
      help but break out in laughter. LOL! Yet, if you check his website
      or even look at his list of published books, say on Amazon, you will
      see that he is a big seller! I was going to invest in one of his
      books until I read some reviews and did some other research on him.
      Some "friends" had recommended his books, as they fell for his crap,
      hook, line and sinker!

      It really makes me wonder what it is that attracts people to such
      things, but I guess it could be the the desire to believe in "weird"
      possibilities when one doesn't really believe in oneself so much??
      Or maybe some people have too much free time??

      After the eckankar experience, I definitely do not want to fall for
      some other false teachings. I feel pretty safe listening to my Inner
      guide--and do not want the distraction of these false prophets
      and "teachers!" I feel very free and happy!

      Mish

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "eyesopen444"
      <eyesopen444@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > Happy 6/6/06. I came across some informative and amusing articles
      on
      > cults and posted them here to show that this is perhaps not such a
      > small effect on our society after all.
      >
      > www.rickross.com/reference/general/general530.html - 8k
      >
      > Working the web: Cults
      > Creating a cult is a cakewalk, says Clint Witchalls. All you need
      > are a few ideas, an audience and access to the net
      >
      > The Guardian/February 13, 2003
      >
      > I've always thought that having my own cult would be fantastic:
      all
      > those beautiful women lining up to have my baby, because I'm the
      > third son of Osiris. And if that's not enough, there's always the
      > plump offshore bank account and the chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce
      > consider.
      >
      > To create a cult is a cakewalk. What you have to do is cut random
      > sentences out of books such as Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the
      > Gods, the Bible, and The Tibetan book of the Dead; mix them up and
      > paste them on to a piece of card.
      >
      > And there you have the central thesis for your new religion. The
      > less sense it makes, the better. Like the Shopping Channel, cults
      > work on the premise that there's one born every minute. All that's
      > left to do is to put your kooky ideas on a website, and get
      yourself
      > down to Leicester Square - or any other place where there is
      always
      > a captive audience - for a bit of conversion. The only thing that
      > prevents me from starting a cult is the end bit. The bit where I
      > have to drink cyanide-laced Kool Aid, or be burnt alive by an over-
      > zealous Swat team. That doesn't appeal to me too much.
      >
      > The golden age of cults was in the late 60s and early 70s. Nearly
      > every self-respecting hippie had dabbled with a bit of wicca or
      > shared a bowl of mung bean stew with a Hare Krishna devotee.
      > Remember the Divine Light Mission? Remember the Moonies?
      Recovering
      > members can be seen licking their wounds at
      > www.ex-premie.org, respectively.
      >
      > Nowadays, cults are more low key - you don't want to court
      publicity
      > when you're making a batch of sarin in your Tokyo basement. It's
      > easy to be fooled into thinking that cults had ceased to exist.
      > Until a couple of weeks ago, that is, when Brigitte Boisselier,
      the
      > chief executive of Clonaid, claimed that the company had cloned
      the
      > first human.
      >
      > Clonaid was set up by Claude Vorilhon, founder of the Raelian
      cult.
      > His mission came to him after he met a bearded alien on top of a
      > mountain in France. He had bunked off work. The alien told him _
      > well, I won't spoil it for you. It must be noted that Monsieur
      > Vorilhon, an ex-sports writer, had previously boasted about his
      > ability to generate free publicity.
      >
      > The other great ex-sports journalist and master of publicity is
      our
      > very own David Icke. Although Icke doesn't officially run a cult,
      he
      > does have quite a band of followers who subscribe to his theory
      that
      > the world is run by alien lizard people. At the beginning of this
      > year, astronomers at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland said
      that
      > if all light could be viewed at once, it would look turquoise.
      Icke

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7 7:16 PM
        Hi Mish and Kaye,
        I liked the info. Yes, it's interesting to see the time-frame around
        the inception of these cults - like Eckankar and Scientology! Twit
        seemed to be riding on the coattails of L. Ron when he created
        his "ancient" scam.

        http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general530.html

        Working the web: Cults Creating a cult is a cakewalk, says Clint
        Witchalls. All you need are a few ideas, an audience and access to
        the net

        The Guardian/February 13, 2003

        I've always thought that having my own cult would be fantastic: all
        those beautiful women lining up to have my baby, because I'm the
        third son of Osiris. And if that's not enough, there's always the
        plump offshore bank account and the chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce to

        http://www.ex-premie.org respectively.

[...]

        of the group were still in the here and now. The stragglers plan to

      • ewickings@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8 4:53 AM
          Hi Kaye and all,

          Wow,   we should all start our own counter - cult!  Looks pretty easy don't it?  LOL

          From the Cult article:

          >"The only thing that prevents me from starting a cult is the end bit.
          The bit where I
          have to drink cyanide-laced Kool Aid, or be burnt alive by an over-
          zealous Swat team. That doesn't appeal to me too much."  (End Quote)

          As I was checking my email this morning, came across a news release.  Not sure how many have ever heard of the psychic John Holland?  Supposedly he is going to be doing a reading at Wako, then we will know for sure if it was an over-zealous Swat team that fired the first shot!  (Is this one of those conspiracy theories?) The show sounds interesting to say the least!

          Bet Twit or Klemp couldn't pull off something like this!  Say, why hasn't Klemp blessed the entire universe with his Godly abilities, like getting the History Channel to do a special on "Those Wonderful Eck Masters", or Eckankar's History?  Those snoring, I mean boring Eck vidoes only seen on PBS when they don't have anything better to show.....

          How about this little clip:  http://tinyurl.com/hw7p7

          Have a good one,
          Liz

          #####################

          We are really delighted to let you all know that, the History Channel is going to air the pilot for a potential new series.

          "This is one show you really don't want to miss. There's never been anything like it on TV to date." JOHN HOLLAND

          “Psychic History” is a pilot for a new series that will feature John using all his psychic abilities on some of the world's most confounding mysteries. This pilot episode focuses on the haunting story at Waco, Texas where David Koresh’s religious sect of Branch Davidian’s took on the forces of the U.S. government.

          In this dramatic episode, Holland was flown into the area totally blindfolded, without a clue to where he was going. He's filmed as he applies his special skills to resolving the lingering mysteries of Waco: Who fired the first shot? Was it the Federal agents or one of the Branch Davidians? And were Koresh’s followers being held against their will?

          In addition to providing answers to these controversial questions, John also makes an amazing observation – that a house half way across the country from Waco was where the religious sect assembled their guns. Only the police knew this; the fact was never made public, and yet John was able to psychically step back in time and witness and experience this horrific disaster. This is the kind of stunning revelation that can turn skeptics into believers.

          AIR DATES

          The pilot will air 3 times:

          • June 26 at 9 pm EST/PST
          • July 6 at 11 pm EST/PST
          • July 8 at 5 pm EST/PST

          Or check out the History Channel for listings and times... lots of interesting programing!

           http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings_weekly.jsp?NetwCode=THC&timezone=1