Eckankar Lacks the Balance of a Middle Path

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2006
      Hi All,
      I thought I would insert the definitions for attachment, detachment,
      and discrimination that Klemp gives in his Eckankar Lexicon and
      compare them to what Buddha gives. Non-Attachment is never
      mentioned! Remember, these "Eck" definitions are influenced by the
      Radhasoami teachings, and are also, unfortunately, very anti-family,
      anti-love, and promote an "unfeeling" attitude towards other people.

      Yes, Buddha's Non-Attachment definition is much more advanced for
      the spiritual seeker than are the Mahanta's definitions and limiting
      view of life. NON-ATTACHMENT is one of BALANCE. Eckankar only gives
      lip service to this due to limited concepts borrowed from sources
      that are Not the most advanced out there!

      However, I'm not saying that Buddhism is the most advanced spiritual
      path either... just that it's more advanced, in many ways, than what
      Eckankar has borrowed from others! Eckankar, however, is not a true
      spiritual path because it was designed to scam people out of money
      and as a vocation for Twitchell, then Gross, and now Klemp. However,
      I would say that Eckankar does fit the definition for religion. LOL!

      Prometheus
      p.s.
      This Non-Attachment definition is one that the conspiracy nut cases
      should look at as well. These people are much more attached to their
      non-spiritual beliefs, egos, and delusions than others who also
      suffer from similar mental imbalances... like Eckists!

      Prometheus wrote:

      Hi Liz,
      I saw this on eckankartruth and thought I'd bring it over here for
      more discussion. I'll have more comments later. However, isn't it
      interesting that Eckankar sees most things as black and white, or
      positive and negative, or lower and higher, or good and bad, or as
      attachment and detachment.

      Of course, Twitchell got his perspective and views from Radhasoami
      and used "The Path of the Masters" as his main resource. On page 362
      is a box showing the "Passions and their Remedies." The following is
      listed:

      MOH (ATTACHMENT) Viveka Discrimination.
      Vairag Detachment.

      So, Radhasoami also gives "Discrimination" as an opposing remedy
      (virture) for "Attachment."

      Twitchell changed this and used "Discrimination" as the virture for
      GREED and kept "Detachment."

      Twitch then changed the Radhasoami remedy for GREED (Contentment) to
      be used with LUST.

      WHY? Because the Radhasoami remedy (virture) for LUST is "Chastity,
      continence."

      Twitch, with a young new wife, would Not even want to follow this
      REMEDY for himself, and PT certainly wouldn't be pulling many
      followers into his new church if every new Eckist was to act like
      either a monk or a nun!

      More later!

      Prometheus

      Liz wrote:
      Subject: [eckankartruth] Musings / Talk about Detachment

      I was doing some home work and came across an interesting article on
      detachment. So thought I would share it here. I highlighted what
      stood out for me. ;-) To me, eckankar's *detachment* is void of
      love, and denial of true human emotion. I am glad I can walk the
      middle path without worrying about whether I am attached or
      detached..... no longer bogged down by Klemp's dogma!

      BUDDHA:
      "Attachment". Buddha described a principal cause of human suffering
      as "attachment"; that is to say any sentient being's attitude that
      clings to or grasps at anything (ANYTHING: including the notion of
      ego/self, the notion of other/not-self, emotions, concepts,
      memories, desires, events, outcomes, judgements, objects, places,
      beliefs, relationships--really ANY phenomena which can occur, be
      experienced, imagined, noticed and/or labeled) as if "it" were
      limited by an imposed judgement, fixed in status, space, or time,
      permanent, self-existent, controllable, or even tangibly real.
      Attachment drives an insatiable frustration of grasping vainly at
      that which can not truly be held onto because of its illusory,
      impermanent nature.

      ECKANKAR LEXICON:
      ATTACHMENT - "The state of being connected by ties of affection,
      attraction, etc., particularly to the karmic conditions of life that
      hold one in the physical universes; including ideas, dreams,
      consciousness of the lower self which creates attachment to the
      physical realm, desires, and connections with family and
      possessions. See also Moha." (pg.16)

      BUDDHA:
      "Non-Attachment". Non-attachment is that state of mind whereby a
      sentient being is able to perceive, discern, understand or otherwise
      appreciate anything (once again--ANYTHING--any phenomena that can be
      said to occur, be imagined, be labeled and/or be experienced)--
      sometimes called "an object of mind" or simply "labeled phenomena"
      as it is, in its fullness as a temporary and illusive occurrence
      within an infinite web of interdependent interconnected occurrences,
      but ABSENT the desire to judge it, control it, view it is as
      permanent, self-existent, and/or independent of causes and effects.
      Non-attachment is not clinging, not grasping. Non-attachment is
      related to equanimity: that equalizing yet discerning observance
      from all sides simultaneously without judgement or expectation. Non-
      attachment is necessary for the cultivation of the omniscient
      (enlightened) mind.

      ECKANKAR LEXICON:
      NON-ATTACHMENT - (NOT LISTED)

      BUDDHA:
      "Detachment" Detachment is a different concept altogether.
      Detachment is that illusion whereby the sentient being holds an
      object of mind at the artificial distance of aloof denial; it means
      to actively not care about something whether it is noticed or not;
      to willfully or carelessly attempt to deny it power or essence with
      the numbing opiate that is correctly called apathy, or
      disassociation.

      ECKANKAR LEXICON:
      DETACHMENT - "Giving up strong affection for the environment and
      possessions, but not ceasing to identify with them; becoming
      independent of them; mentally free from love of the world and all
      worldly desires. See vairag." (pg. 45)

      DISCRIMINATION - "The recognition that there is no good or evil, no
      beauty nor ugliness, no sin, and that these are concepts of the
      mind, the dual forces in the matter worlds; the ability to make
      right judgments; to distinguish between those actions which
      contribute to spiritual growth and those which are a waste of time.
      See also viveka." (pg. 48)

      Neither attachment nor detachment are exemplary of the enlightened
      mind; both can be described as unskilled activities common to
      sentient beings, both are breakable habits, and both equally keep
      the sentient being in the realm of samsara (the infinite cycle of
      the common incarnate existence that includes birth, sickness,
      suffering, death, bardo, re-birth, etc). Detachment flees;
      Attachment chases.

      Buddha spoke of practicing non-attachment as the necessary middle
      path beyond ever-fragmenting samsara into all-absorbing nirvana.